PDA

View Full Version : Considering getting the trx, need input.

Honda4lyphe
06-04-2008, 12:53 PM
I've ridden quads all my life, honda to be exact. Ive had this 400ex for 2 years and im bored with the power. I want more! So i can either go through all the trouble and extra money to boreing my 400ex to a 440 to make it a subpar 450r. Or i can just go get a 450r. My main concern is the reliability, all my honda's ive ever owned have given me the reliability and ive always loved it. Im hearing for these new 450s though that they are needing rebuilds every 50 hours for the regular trail rider..is this true? I know not to expect as much reliability from the 450s since they are the ones being raced and they are made to the highest performance etc etc, but i already got so much going on i cant keep spending alot of money on a quad, i just want something faster then a 400ex for mainly trails thats not going to give me much trouble..so is it worth it?

trx400EXtreme
06-04-2008, 01:00 PM
if u decide to build a 440 you can throw all that reliablillity out the window. you would definately be better off with buying a 450. even if you went all out on the 400, a 450 with a pipe and a filter will still probably be faster. im in the same situation as you. my 400ex just seems slow. im gonna save up about 5-600 bucks and sell the 400ex to get a 450.

sandplayer
06-05-2008, 08:39 PM
I would definetly upgrade to a 450. I have owned my 04 450 for 3 years. I had moderate mods like cam, exhaust and airfilter and the quad ran flawless these last three years. I just recently decided to have the motor ported and a new hi comp piston installed. When i pulled the motor apart the piston and cylinder were in fantastic shape for how many hours were on the quad. My valves were all ok also. I upgraded my valves because i wanted to have all new internal parts. If you change your oil regularly and just give the quad som TLC you will not be sorry.

pro-rider46
06-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by sandplayer
I would definetly upgrade to a 450. I have owned my 04 450 for 3 years. I had moderate mods like cam, exhaust and airfilter and the quad ran flawless these last three years. I just recently decided to have the motor ported and a new hi comp piston installed. When i pulled the motor apart the piston and cylinder were in fantastic shape for how many hours were on the quad. My valves were all ok also. I upgraded my valves because i wanted to have all new internal parts. If you change your oil regularly and just give the quad som TLC you will not be sorry.

have you replaced the crank bearings? if not it might be a good idea to do that soon. you dont want it to look like this.

Honda4lyphe
06-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
have you replaced the crank bearings? if not it might be a good idea to do that soon. you dont want it to look like this.

Ow. I'll keep that one in mind.

BlaineKaiser450
06-06-2008, 06:52 PM
get the 450. mine has been pretty reliable and i havent needed to rebuild it and ive got 75+ hrs of MX on it

Honda4lyphe
06-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks for all the replies, im gonna get something pretty standard to last me till i can save up and get serious. Id be happy with a 450 that just has a pipe and filter, anything else, ill be a bit iffy. I just cant spend loads and loads of money after a problem after another on a quad right now, so im just trying to do my best.

sandtoys0
06-06-2008, 08:05 PM
There are plenty of people that will tell you to buy an aftermarket pipe. I will tell you just the opposite, too much money!
I came off a 99 400EX until 07 when I bought my 06 off the showroom floor. I put the nerf bars on that day and searched for upgrades online. I would definately get an HRC kit installed at the dealer if you buy one new. It makes incredible power from the already fast stock 450R; doesn't cost that much and doesn't void your warranty. Do a search for HRC.

My friend has an 06 Suzuki LTR450 and put a full Yoshimure pipe with some sort of programmer in his for a cost of about $1000 and I whip him everytime no matter what.

I have: Hot Cams stage 2 $100, used HRC header w/stock exhaust can $75, carb jetting $30 and I do fine (racing up dunes) anywhere I go with reliability.

Take this for what it's worth....

Rick

zdowell
06-07-2008, 12:20 AM
I just traded my 04 400ex in yesterday. I was in the same situation as you all, not enough power, couldn't keep up very well when every one else has 450 or bigger. So I said **** it. Cant wait to get it home and put all the aftermarket **** on.

sandplayer
06-07-2008, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
I did not replace the crank bearings. What year is your 450. I have done a lot of reaserch and the 05 450's had the most problem with the crank bearing failures. This is not to say that all the other years are exempt but the common year is the 05. Thanks for the heads up though.

06-07-2008, 07:43 AM
i am selling my 450r to go back to a 400ex...too high strung in the woods...they need to be run hard and fast...i like to ride like that, but not all the time...the last ride i went on, was with my father in law...he has a 1995 honda 300 2wd ute...and we had a new guy with us...he was on a ute also...i always bring up the rear in these circumstances, in case we get separated so i can pick up lead...anyway...i was never out of first gear in the woods..and i was on the clutch more than the throttle...

as far as reliablity goes...i have wrenched on this bike more since i bought it(new in feb 2006) than i had ever done on my 400ex...constant oil changes...more valve adjustments which are needed to keep it starting when hot...the valve djustment is not as easy on the 450r either...always trying to keep the carb in tune...

i had to spend nearly a grand to make the 450 as comfortable/handle as well as my 400ex...the suspension needed redone to match the ride height(there was 3 " difference)...i needed to put on different bend bars and a different clamp...

i'll be as happy as pig in ship when i am back on a 400ex that i can just ride and do less frequent oil change..the power was nice, but there is not that big of a difference to justify the extra maintenance and loss of ridability

Flyin-Low
06-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
i am selling my 450r to go back to a 400ex...too high strung in the woods...they need to be run hard and fast...i like to ride like that, but not all the time...the last ride i went on, was with my father in law...he has a 1995 honda 300 2wd ute...and we had a new guy with us...he was on a ute also...i always bring up the rear in these circumstances, in case we get separated so i can pick up lead...anyway...i was never out of first gear in the woods..and i was on the clutch more than the throttle...

as far as reliablity goes...i have wrenched on this bike more since i bought it(new in feb 2006) than i had ever done on my 400ex...constant oil changes...more valve adjustments which are needed to keep it starting when hot...the valve djustment is not as easy on the 450r either...always trying to keep the carb in tune...

i had to spend nearly a grand to make the 450 as comfortable/handle as well as my 400ex...the suspension needed redone to match the ride height(there was 3 " difference)...i needed to put on different bend bars and a different clamp...

i'll be as happy as pig in ship when i am back on a 400ex that i can just ride and do less frequent oil change..the power was nice, but there is not that big of a difference to justify the extra maintenance and loss of ridability

Those are all personal problems..

1) The 450 is too fast for you, 'cause you like to ride slow

2) You find it uncomfortable, whereas this guy might think it's 10x better than the 400ex.

3) Constant oil changes aren't a problem for me.. I don't mind spending 15 minutes every week to change the engine oil and maybe 25 every other week to change the engine and transmission oil.

4) And about the constantly setting the carb and valves, I jetted mine spot on for the mods I have and haven't had to change it since. The valves JUST needed to be replaced after approx. 300 hours and they only needed to be adjusted a hand full of times.

450rJam
06-07-2008, 08:48 PM
NO quad has a better combo of reliability, handleing and power than the 400ex

you want to go faster ? there is a price

the price is reliability, the more power the less reliable it will be

your the one who has to choose the ratio you can live with......

if you can afford it, the best thing would be to keep the 400 for trails and putt putting around with the old folks

and get a 450 to rip up the dunes/mx or fast woods

I do agree with above, an 06+ 450r with hrc kit is a strong runner with respectable reliability

Honda4lyphe
06-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Screw it, im getting the 450r whether i can get it reliable or not. My 400ex has given me more trouble than any other quad ive ever had, but thats because the previous owner rode the snot out of it and everything finally went out when i owned it. Before i raced flattrack with a 250r, that was my life, thats what made me happy. School held me back so i had to sell it, but i did not want to give up the sport so i wanted something to get me by. Every since i sold my 250r and got out of raceing, it feels like i left a part of my life. Im going to have to bite the bullet, buy a 450r, and get it set up. Ive done alot of thinking lately, but i think since im older than i was i can take this to a whole nother level. Thanks for the tips. And yes adjusting valves on a 450 is harder than a 400ex, ive done it for my buddy and i was glad i had this quad then..

kbass24emtp
06-07-2008, 09:30 PM
If you change the valve out to stainless steel valves you will not have to adjust them as much.

d3ktrix
06-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by sandplayer
I did not replace the crank bearings. What year is your 450. I have done a lot of reaserch and the 05 450's had the most problem with the crank bearing failures. This is not to say that all the other years are exempt but the common year is the 05. Thanks for the heads up though.

Both 04 and 05's had have this problem.

My neighbors 04 went out, my other friend that has an 04 and an 05 had both of them go out.

06-08-2008, 09:33 AM
personal problems...not so much..personal issues with the bike...you bet

the were enough for me to sell and they are issue this guy may not have wanted to deal with...had some one put this info out before i bought my 450r...instead of every one saying it IS the cat's meow...i would have bought the wife a brand new 400ex and dumped the extra $$$ into my 2000 400ex...but then again hindsight is always 20/20

it is always good to hear the good AND the bad when making a decision to buy an expensive item...