PDA

View Full Version : Newb Help

gcracker
06-04-2008, 11:57 AM
So I bit the bullet and decided to let my son start racing and have acquired a 2004 blaster (all stock) for him to start his career!? on.

His only previous experience is a 110cc semi auto and his cousins DRR50 and DDR70.

My only experience is MX, have been racing 20+ years and am needing some help as to what to do with the quad for a basic setup. He will be racing in the AMA district 6 200-300cc class this year. I am not going to be making any engine/intake or exhaust mods until he progresses well on the stock motor. ya Im old school! :-P

So that leaves basically the chassis setup to work on. I was surprised by the number of providers in this area and so I wanted to get some input from you folks on the forum.

What would be good upgrades by level of progress for my son. Clearly I can go balls to the wall and do the full swing arm, a-arms and elka shock adjustable setup, but at the end of the day its a lot of cabbage if he decides that racing scares the crap outta him.

So right now my focus is on the oil injection block off plate, rims and tires, nerf bars and a kill switch.

1) Should I just get spacers for the front and rear before I go to a full race setup.

2) Should I get the works shocks and let him work with those for a season or just go straight to the elkas?

3) Any particularly preffered brand of Swing arm and a arms?

4) Any particular brand for wheels and tires?

any oother thoughts or points that I should consider before I go off and spend the cabbage?

Thanks in advance

01exrider 281
06-04-2008, 12:04 PM
do not get wheel spacers. get a axle tires and wheels. and a arms
I ride a 300ex and i have a itp tire and wheel kit on the front and rear with mxr 6s and i love them. you are going to need a kill switch and nerfs to race.

jetski_dawg
06-05-2008, 07:44 PM
find some yzf450 rims and tires.. they have a great offset..check e-bay..they have a ton of stuff for the blaster