PDA

View Full Version : Put on 450r shocks now can't pull up front end???

alping45
06-04-2008, 10:19 AM
First of all I have to brag about how I got a beautiful set of 450r shocks off ebay for $115 shipped! But anyway, I got them all bolted up and they are terrific and make a world of difference over stock, but now it is very difficult to pull the front end up past 2&3rd gear? I could always pull it up in every gear on a strait road even 5th allthough it was challenging. Now I can't get it up past third unless I hit a bump or something first. The shocks seem to be a couple pounds heavier than stock but I know a few pounds couldn't possibly make that much difference right? All I can figure is that they aren't as springy as stock so when I push down before I pull up, I don't get enough spring to get the front end up in a higher gear. Could this be the case or is there something else I am missing? I still have alot of playing around to do with all the adjustments, only have a couple hours of ride time with them so far. Maybe after I get them tuned in it will help? Or is this just the nature of a better shock?

MOON
06-04-2008, 11:24 AM
I think your fronts are better than your rear now, and there out of sync. Tune them up by measuring the ground clearance at the footpegs, then at the part of the frame where it rakes up a bit and make sure you set the shock preload so the front sits up about a 1/4" higher than at the footpegs. It's also the nature of the shocks because they have slower damping than the stock EX boingers. I got mine set up so I can do 4-5th gear wheelies.

06-04-2008, 11:31 AM
they do weigh more but thats not the problem. You say you would push down and the stock EX shocks are so crappy and pogo stick like you could get the front end up cause they bounce instead of dampen. Just try doing wheelies differently.

alping45
06-05-2008, 05:35 AM
I was also wondering what the stock setting was for the spring pre-load on these shocks was? When I got them, the jam nuts were just about all the way up to the top of the threads. I tightened them 4 threads down and it seems much better.