PDA

View Full Version : so lost

wckedclownz69
06-03-2008, 10:49 PM
well i have a brandew 01 400 ex well riding it the one day and it bogged down and shut off..ive rebuilt the carb 3 times changed oilll changed spark plug checked timing and valves... it has compression... getting gas and **** but the spark plug aint getting wet or anything.. is there safety features on 400s... im so lost tried everything

AZ440ex
06-04-2008, 11:47 AM
getting a good spark?? pull the plug, ground it and hit the ignition to see if the spark is strong.

Sounds kinda wierd, the only time i have experienced that is when I didn't turn the fuel on. oops:huh

Honda4lyphe
06-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Im not trying to offend you, alot of people when i say this do get offended though. Make sure your killswitch is in the middle and your gas is turned on. You probably already know..but if you lived around here you'd be surprised. Goodluck, also clean your air filter and check your boot for leaks and make sure its all connected good. My buddy has a kfx and it had a very tiny slit in the boot, we patched it up and it ran like a champ after that. The littlest things..you never know. Is it trying to turn over when you hit the starter button? Definetly try what az440ex said, maybe flush out your bowl and put in fresh gas if the gas is old.

honda729
06-04-2008, 09:29 PM
check the line comming out of your gas tank to make sure it didnt get any junk stuck in it, ud be surprised at the junk you can get from a gas station, also, this is just a shot in the dark, check to make sure your wire have a good tight fit.
good luck

justin1022
06-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by wckedclownz69
well i have a brandew 01 400 ex well riding it the one day and it bogged down and shut off..ive rebuilt the carb 3 times changed oilll changed spark plug checked timing and valves... it has compression... getting gas and **** but the spark plug aint getting wet or anything.. is there safety features on 400s... im so lost tried everything

ya check your gas hose and valve from ur tank and pull ur cdi and clean it it might be dirty in the plugs sending e regular sparks or somthing.

atvhonda-rider
06-05-2008, 12:21 PM
check your ignition coil, all your electrical, your ground, spark, gas tank line, carb throttle, air intake. sounds like you have a good basic cover tho. if its turning over and just wont start after all that i have no clue what to say. tear the thing down i'd assume lol. OOO check your exhaust as well, if your pipe is clogged with some packing or anything it won't start cuz it cant release the xhaust of course. just a guess lol

justin1022
06-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by wckedclownz69

just check your gas and stuff your lines and hoses and then try jump starting it if it wont jump start then then its most likly electrical

the Z Man
06-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Check your timing, could have jumped time, 400ex is known for timing chains to jump...

red_rider_069
06-06-2008, 09:57 AM
if your spark plug isnt getting wet its definnatly the carb.. check you fuel line.. i have a filter on mine so i jsut replace it when it gets way dirty.. samething has happened to me from it being plugged up.. it also keesp al the junk outa the carb.. and have you used octane booster?

Honda5
06-06-2008, 10:20 AM
could be in the fuel system , thats a easy check with a little starting fluid but, sounds like something in the timing to me.

red_rider_069
06-07-2008, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Honda5
could be in the fuel system , thats a easy check with a little starting fluid but, sounds like something in the timing to me. you thin that has to do with the spark plug not getting wet?:confused: :ermm:

Honda5
06-07-2008, 04:48 AM
it could be one of several things dealing with the timing and I have seen all of the folowing. but first off did you hear a lot of excess noise in the cam chain aera?

1 the cam chain got so loose causing it to jump over the teeth.

2 the cam chain broke.

3 the cam chain jumped off one of the sprockets

4 the cam chain adjuster broke causing any of the above (with this one you wouldn't have heard all the cam chain noise)

with any of these you may not get a wet plug because the valves are not opening or they are opening at the point where the piston is on the up stroke and pushing air out of the cyl and not pullind it in. I could pull the cam chain adjuster first to see if it is broken. I have replaced at least 10 of them in my shop over the years. I'm going to bet thats what it is.

wckedclownz69
07-17-2008, 07:34 PM
figured it out guys thanks for all the help tho it was the stator coil and the other coils in there they went bad ...dno why but they did thanks a lot for the replies...