PDA

View Full Version : Hard starting

rcatvrider
06-03-2008, 08:35 PM
My 400ex has under 30 hours on it, but it is hard to start. I need to give it gas for about 5mins until it warms up or it will stall. Are valves supposed to be adjusted after break in? Would poorly adjusted valves cause this problem? I would like to do the choke mod but am afraid I won't be able to start it without a choke. It has 2 oil changes on it, has not been ridden hard, and has low hours. It has sat for periods of time though. I put fresh 93 octane in it now though and it still starts hard. Any ideas what the problem is? Once it's warmed up for a while it runs fine.

AZ440ex
06-03-2008, 09:12 PM
I would check the valves, they will seat during break in. Not sure if thats your problem. Could be stale gas from sitting, could be jetting. Sometimes the gas will varnish in the carb and gum it up, you may have to clean it up. I remember mine in stock form needed to be choked or half choked but I dont recall 5 minutes to warm up.

powermadd400ex
06-03-2008, 09:29 PM
man it aint the valves cause i had mine adjusted after break in and she is still cold to start
she has about 50 hours on it and 2 oil changes.
i think itll wear off after awhile tho, my brothers 250ex was cold like this for 6 months or so. and now itll start in ne kinda weather.

AZ440ex
06-03-2008, 09:41 PM
I agree its probably not the valves but they do need to be checked after break in.

On a different note do you really have only two oil changes on your first 50hrs?? I know I probably change oil more than needed but 25 hrs seems alot for a bike that shares oil between clutch and motor. All those clutch particals floating in my valve train kinda scares me.

powermadd400ex
06-03-2008, 10:18 PM
i just changed it last weekend, i did let this oil go a lil bit farther than i shouldve
the dealer told me every 20 hours the oil should be changed so.
but, i usually change every 20-25 hrs.
im still learin bout this bike and i have found out that it requires more "attention" than the 250ex haha.

on the cold start. jus give it time and itll warm up, thats wat im hopin

AZ440ex
06-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by powermadd400ex
i just changed it last weekend, i did let this oil go a lil bit farther than i shouldve
the dealer told me every 20 hours the oil should be changed so.
but, i usually change every 20-25 hrs.
im still learin bout this bike and i have found out that it requires more "attention" than the 250ex haha.

on the cold start. jus give it time and itll warm up, thats wat im hopin

Just my 0.02 but my engine builder would kill me if I went 20+ hrs. between oil change but its modified. That might be good for a stock motor. Keep an eye on the dipstick oil. Dab a little on a napkin or something and look at color and if you see particals.

You can get a hour meter for about 30$. Its a good way to track "real" hours. I think most people mis-judge the actual motor hours. I know I did. I went riding for 2 days for presidents day and only racked up 6.8 hrs on the meter. I would of thought it was more by the way I felt:eek2:

I go no more than 10hrs on my TRX and usually 8 on my CRF450.
Oil is cheaper than parts.

powermadd400ex
06-04-2008, 08:52 AM
yea my motors's stock, and my dad measure how long we ride on his quad(its a foreman so it has the hour meter,odometer, etc.)
i check the oil every time i ride, and if its almost to where i cant see through it i kno its time to change it.
btw, does havin a 440 mean u need to change oil more often
does this also apply to a 416?

jrafter
06-04-2008, 09:08 AM
you can get an hour meter at sears for $10....and it looks just like the moose meter

mine was hard to start till i got an amr coil.

and it doesnt foul plugs anymore

AZ440ex
06-04-2008, 09:32 AM
10$ :eek2: . Even better reason to get one.

With any modified motor you are puting more stress on components. Will the oil get dirty faster? I guess it depends how you ride it. I figure motor work is expensive and oil is pretty cheap. I also live in AZ so the temps are pretty high here and heat is the aircooled motors enemy.

Looks like a lot of people run Rotella because its cheap making more frequent oil changes less costly. I still run Maxima but am thinking about switching. Remember use oil WITHOUT MOLY, it will make the clutch fail.

powermadd400ex
06-04-2008, 07:26 PM
we use valvoline 10w-40. i read all over the damn bottle and didnt see moly metioned ne where, so i guess it doesnt use it

AZ440ex
06-04-2008, 07:44 PM
I was unaware valvoline made motorcycle oil. If it had moly you would know. The clutch would slip.

jrafter
06-04-2008, 07:49 PM
this is what you should look for on the back of the bottle

powermadd400ex
06-04-2008, 08:09 PM
yep, it speciafically for air cooled motorcycles so.
the back of the bottle says basically the same thing and my clutch has never slipped, so im good

rcatvrider
06-06-2008, 03:41 PM
I took the carb out and cleaned it and it was practically brand new. I checked the spark plug as well and it was perfect. I'll adjust the valves sometime and if it still is tough to start I'll just have to live with it.