PDA

View Full Version : Warrior: No spark after 10 minutes of running

ettev
06-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Either at an idle or when riding after about 10 minutes our 2001 Warrior dies. No spark at the plug. Most likely culprit is what? Coil? Stator? CDI box? Some other switch/relay? After the machine sits for 15 or 20 minutes it starts again and runs for 10 minutes then again no spark. Help!!!

GPracer2500
06-04-2008, 05:48 PM
I've known of two Warriors that had stators go bad. I believe that is a weak spot on Warriors. Not sure if stators can produce intermittent spark in relation to engine temp but I wouldn't doubt it if someone in the know told me they can. Seems like I've heard of that before on some old XR which also had the stator bathed in oil like the Warrior (if memory serves).

ettev
06-05-2008, 09:20 AM
99% sure it's the pickup coil. Replacing it tomorrow. I'll share results.

ettev
06-08-2008, 07:06 AM
New pickup coil fixed it. Runs fine now.

ettev
06-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by ettev
New pickup coil fixed it. Runs fine now.
WRONG! Didn't fix it! Installed the pickup coil Friday. Quad ran fine Friday night and all day Saturday. Kid went to ride it Sunday and no spark. There's no spark even getting to the ignition coil. Must be either the CDI box or the stator (source coil). Oh well.......now I'll just start throwing money at it. CDI box is my first guess. I'll post again with results.

GPracer2500
06-09-2008, 02:24 PM
I'm still guessing stator. Conventional wisdom holds that CDI's either work or they don't rather than fail intermittently. Definitely try and borrow a known good CDI before you buy a replacement.

My group had a Warrior die (no spark) in the middle of the dunes once and it was a PITA to get back to camp.

ettev
06-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
I'm still guessing stator. Conventional wisdom holds that CDI's either work or they don't rather than fail intermittently. Definitely try and borrow a known good CDI before you buy a replacement.

My group had a Warrior die (no spark) in the middle of the dunes once and it was a PITA to get back to camp.

I've got a replacement stator and CDI box. I'll try the easy one first then replace the stator. I ran all the multimeter tests on the stator assembly and everything checked out ok.

What puzzles me is that Friday morning it wouldn't spark. I changed the pickup coil on the stator later that day and it ran fine Friday night and again all day Saturday. Sunday......go to start it and again no spark! WTF!

Intermittent electricals are the worst!

GPracer2500
06-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by ettev
....Intermittent electricals are the worst!

No argument there! Let us know what it turns out to be.

ettev
06-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Plugged in the new (good used) CDI and still no spark. So tomorrow its off with the stator. Stay tuned.

ettev
06-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Installed a new (tested good used) stator tonight while using my own original CDI box and ignition coil. Hit the start button and I don't even think it rotated once before it fired. Running strong! Then again it also did after I replaced the pickup coil on the original stator last week. Must have been a weak source coil on the stator. Oh well, trial by fire tomorrow....kid is planning on an all day ride with his gang. Hope she holds up. I'll keep posting with the results.

GPracer2500
06-16-2008, 12:18 AM
So was it the stator?

ettev
06-16-2008, 04:15 AM
Must have been. Still running great after the stator swap. Probably the source coil.

Originally posted by
GPracer2500
So was it the stator?