PDA

View Full Version : I hate rigging!!!!!!!

Moded86R
06-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Hey fella's one of my buddies has a 2002 400ex.

He just got the qaud and it wont hardly start.Supposedly it will run if you pull it with another bike.Haven't seen it yet though.

So far I have adjusted the valves,Checked the carb and it was clean and had fuel.

The bike is not getting spark.So I used my CDI and coil.Same thing.Used his stuff on my bike and it fired right up.

The person that had it before him took off the headlights and headlight switch's off.They replaced the kill switch with a motion pro tether kill.And the start button with a dirtbike kill switch.I believe this is where the problem is.I used my control and start button and still nothing.

The bike has gotten spark a couple times but it was just for a second.

Has anyone used these type of kill switch's?If so what kind of wiring is involved?

The only other thing I can think of is the stator.I have a flywheel puller for my R.Will it work on this 400?

BTW I already checked the fuse near the battery.

Thanks.

xcracer416
06-03-2008, 10:10 PM
dude first of all what the hell are you talking about? you said you havent seen it but you cleaned the carb and all that. then you said you tried your coil and cdi and it started, then you said something about it might be the stator. re type what you have done with results and we can probally help you out.

Moded86R
06-03-2008, 10:23 PM
What I meant was I hadn't seen the bike start yet.The first time I saw it was last night in dark.And it wouldn't hit a lick.

This bike is weird.Don't think it's me.I took the bike apart adjusted the valves.Then I went to see what size jets where in it.Well they where stock.So I put a 162 main in it.Same jet I run in my bike.I put it all back togother and it fired up for like 5 seconds.Then it died it would not start.I pulled the coil wire off and put another plug in the wire to see if it was getting spark.It was not.

Are you following me?

So I put my coil and CDI on it.I also put my stock starter button in it.Same thing no fire.It did spark ONE time while I was messing it.

He kept telling me if you pull start it then it will fire.So I pulled him and it fired right up.Only it smoked like a chimney!

It needs a new piston and rings in it.

The bike will fire up if you pull it.It dies though and has to be repulled to start.It will run for a few and die whenever it wants to.

I don't know fella's.This thing is weird.The wiring had been messed with and the bike is rigged togother.Basicly the guy doesn't know alot about 4-wheelers and he got had.

The weirdest thing about the deal is when I unloaded it his house.It fired up using the button!

I'm just glad no one messed with mine before I got it.

I've never rebuilt a 400ex top end.And I don't wanna learn on someone else's.

xcracer416
06-04-2008, 04:47 PM
it may be the stator, cause when you pull it the engine turns over faster and the magnets on the flywheel, and brushes on the stator work a whole lot more.
as far as the top end goes if you go to where you adjusted the valves, then you done the hard part. there is nothing to a top end on a 400ex. 450r's are more ticky on adjustments. main thing to remember is to make sure your timing is on tdc and your cam lobes are down and its basically the same as an old 2smoke. its probally shutting down because of ack of compression if its smoking as bad as you said it was.

btw sorry if i sounded rough and being an arse. i wasnt trying to be, i got really confused on the wording.

MOON
06-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Stator or the coil, thats where I would look.