PDA

View Full Version : crank seal

JIMFROMTEXCO
06-03-2008, 02:13 PM
ok i need to replace my crank seals. its the only thing left logical to be causing my problem.

it will start, run for a bit, smoke like crazy then foul out.

i run klotz benol at 32:1 and it dosnt smell like that. its definetly atf.

how hard is it to change theese seals? does the entire clutch basket have to be removed?

any tips or tricks to go along with doing this job will be greatly appreciated!

trailrider1156
06-03-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm no 250R expert, but on my blaster dry side seal is behind the magneto asm.
wet side is outside the cases at least. you will have to remove whatever is in the way, don't know if you actually have to remove the clutch, but gears yes.
as for removing the seals, this is my method. i drill (very carefully so as not to nick the crank surface) 2 small holes on the seals surface to allow 2 small screws to be inserted far enough to be able to pull out the seal with the screws being something to grab onto.

86 Quad R
06-03-2008, 03:50 PM
yes you'll need to remove the clutch basket in order to get to the wet side seal and it can be removed as mentioned using sheet metal or sheet rock type screws. just be careful in running the screws into the seal.

have you fixed the base gasket issue that you were having? if so i would suggest that you perform a leakdown test with both the staor and clutch covers removed and pay close attention to the seal areas. especially the clutch side. at times the lil seal race that slides onto the crank will leak rather than the seal itself.

another thing you need to pay attention to is the center case gasket at the counter balancer and in the trans areas.

good luck with it...........

btw: do ya have a shop manual?

JIMFROMTEXCO
06-03-2008, 04:21 PM
yes i fixed the base gasket.

I'm gonna search for the thread on the leak down tester to build one.

I've been using the shop Manuel off the internet, I've yet to order one.i would probably be better off to tear it apart then order parts correct?

86 Quad R
06-03-2008, 04:51 PM
heres the link to the tester (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&postid=2562163#post2562163)

yes i'd at least trouble shoot things and do an overall inspection first.