PDA

View Full Version : 300ex key

300ex_rida
11-29-2002, 08:20 PM
I am getting tag bars for my 300ex and I was wondering how hard it is to move the key. And how do you make the hole. Any pics will help.

Honda99_300ex
11-29-2002, 08:25 PM
you can use a hole saw to cut the hole for the key........

Honda99_300ex
11-29-2002, 08:29 PM
oh ya, lol....you can also do what i did.......go to the local dealer and order a 87' 250x ignition holder, i don't have a pic of mine.........but here is Live2Ride300's......i got it off one of his posts......it looks really god and it alsdo looks stock........around $15

300EXer
11-29-2002, 09:57 PM
or take off the ingition and dont use a key!

Live2Ride300
11-29-2002, 10:05 PM
lol, that quad looks familiar...:cool:

Braff1
11-29-2002, 10:19 PM
Re: Key Switch

Items you will need.
1" wood spade drill bit
1 tube of crazy glue

Switch relocation:
1) Remove the switch
2) you will need to remove the back wires from the switch. before you remove the back plate mark from the switch mark the back panel and switch cylinder. This will make putting it back togather easier. Also be carful not to break the tabs, they will bend some but not all the way over.
3) On the upper panel (the one that goes around the top front and up the side)you need to mark where you want to drill your hole. I used a magic marker and try to center the hole in the panel. I marked mine above the "N" in honda on the right side of the upper cover. You should get the idea in the pic i posted.
4) Remove the upper panel. Drill a hole 1" at the place you marked. Be sure to remove the rough edges around the hole. I used a small flat file to to knock them down.
5) Install key switch clyinder. Make sure that the snap on the cylinder snap in on the inside of the panel. It is a tight fit. After switch is in make sure where you insert the key runs vertical up and down. Then apply some super glue to the inside of the panel around the edges of the switch. The super glue is really optional. Like I said it was a tight fit and I didn't want my switch to fall out.
6) Replace the back plate of the switch being sure to line up your marks. Make sure the tabs fit snug.
7) Now time to test the switch. Turn it on 1) neutral light should come on, 2) push starter button, starter should turn over, 3) headlight should come on.
8) If step 7 works replace upper cover and ride like a mad man.

I relocated my switch over a year and a half now. I broke my handle bar cover the first week I had my quad ( I flipped it trying to back up). With the switch in this location it is still easily accessible but out of the way. If you have any further questions e-mail me at Braff1@bellsouth.net

check with bootastic I sent him this and he said it worked fine.

Honda99_300ex
11-29-2002, 10:34 PM
LOL......sorry live2ride.....just trying to help someone out.....i love the setup tho, i have the same except different bars........

ny300exrider
11-30-2002, 09:40 AM
i just bought a keyholder from nasty and i should be gettin it sometime this week...ill post some pics when i get it.