PDA

View Full Version : yfz 450 clutches

atvnut22
06-02-2008, 09:00 PM
i've heard that yzf450 clutches will work better and last longer in my yfz. but if i get the heavy duty ones, will they fit? and also what all needs to be done to put the yz clutches in? does anyone run this? how do you like it? need to know as soon as possible. also, where is the cheapest place to buy them? thanks.. Brock

Ride1Rob
06-03-2008, 04:12 PM
I don't think that it's the actual clutch that's different. I'm sure that the fibers are the same materials in terms of OEM. When guys say the dirtbike setup they're actually talking about running 9 regular sized fibers (dirtbike setup) instead of 7 regular sized fibers, 1 small fiber, and 2 rings with them (ATV setup). Apparently you get less slippage when doing this mod. I'm more than sure the only difference is when you're ordering the kit the quad kit will have the small fiber and the 2 rings while the dirtbike kit will have 9 regular sized fibers.

KENNY HEMMINGS
06-06-2008, 06:42 AM
RIDE1ROB is correct the part #'s are the same for the bike and atv
clutch plates, I think the only thing you need maybe is the basket
to hold all 9 plates I run the hinson 9-plate set up in both my YFZ'S and love it, if u do have to change the basket I would go with a hinson or gytr they have holes drilled in them for better oiling! and def. use a good grade of oil I was running stock clutches with yamalube and could not keep clutches in one and i change to the hinson set up and klotz 10-40 techniplate and havent had any more problems.

daddio
06-06-2008, 08:58 AM
In the beginning, the YZ friction plates and the YFZ plates were different #'s, with the YZ plates being made out of a different material, but they still fit, so guy's were using the YZ plates instear of the YFZ plates. In '07 Yamaha started using the same plates in both engines.

The difference is in the steel plates. The YZ plates are thinner, allowing you to use 1 more friction plate. However, in a quad with more traction and more heat in the clutch, they are prone to warping faster. Serious racers don't care, or see this happen, because they change their clutches often.

A much better option is to get rid of the single, thinner friction plate, the bellville washer and shim from the YFZ and install 8 full size '07 or newer Yamaha friction plates.

Ride1Rob
06-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by daddio

A much better option is to get rid of the single, thinner friction plate, the bellville washer and shim from the YFZ and install 8 full size '07 or newer Yamaha friction plates.

This was another option that I was going to say to try as well. I tried this setup also.