PDA

View Full Version : ENGINE BUILDING KNOWLEGE NEEDED, builders or racers please respond

Black R/T
06-02-2008, 08:00 PM
im planning on racing the gncc series next year and i want to build a reliable motor with competitive power. ive spoken with dave and he gave me some ideas, but i think i can get a better understanding by starting a thread. there are no modification rules, so the sky is the limit. money isnt really an issue either. im using the bike in my sig, but ill list the parts ive got anyway.

drag ported head - all top end power...
H.C. stage 2 cam - think im going with web
41mm FCR carb - its staying.
dynatek CDI - not programmable
Curtis Sparks pipe - Big Core worth it?
Hot Rod HD crank and rod

please, any ideas are welcome.

cyborgenix
06-11-2008, 12:38 PM
youre on the right path there. I would go with the following:

Get some low-mid range webs cams
get a programmable cdi
you have a good crank and rod
get a 13.5:1 piston (I would recommend a wicked piston or a cp and run some 110 race fuel (VP Race Fuels and Torco Race Fuels are great))
Bore or stroke will make more power but thats up to you, I would if GNCC will allow it.
A heavier flywheel will smooth out your power delivery while a lighter one will make it a lot snappier (I think the heavier one would be better for GNCC conditions but it is really down to personal preference)
Get your carb bored out some or get a bigger carb. (Boring your carb will give you better throttle response and when paired up with a good intake, port & polish, valves, and ehaust can add a little horspower.)
I would definately get the big core sparks pipe. (make sure to get the full system)
If you can afford it get a full race hinson clutch setup (about $1200 U.S. but well worth it)
I would recommend a hydraulic clutch. but again that is down to personal preference.
Get oversized valves and HD springs and send the head off to get a 5 angle valve job.
Remember to play with you gearing till you can find something that works for you. you can get a lot of power out of changing you gearing.
also I would reccomend going long travel with roll design or laeger a-arms that are stock width or as close to stock width at possible so you can fit through the woods.
get a better swingarm (houser is good when it comes to swingarms)
get an RPM Dominator II axle (best axle ever)
Get an IMS Dry Break set up for your bike so you dont have to pit as much.
Gusset your frame, it will need it.
get an IMS Oversized radiator
FasstCo Flexx Bars, Anti Vibe steering stem, and Precision Steering Stabilizer are a must (they will help you conserve a lot of energy during a 2 hour GNCC race.

if you have any questions just let me know, good luck with your GNCC racing.

cyborgenix
06-11-2008, 12:39 PM
oh yeah dont forget rear beadlocks, they are a must

Black R/T
06-11-2008, 01:01 PM
i only meant engine-wise, ive got the rest handled, but thank you.

cyborgenix
06-11-2008, 04:35 PM
np