PDA

View Full Version : Is your 400ex fast enough for you?

HondaRaceReady
06-02-2008, 07:18 PM
After you've done basically everything to upgrade the engine of your bike, is it fast enough for you? Do you wish you had a 450r or a 2 stroke, or are you happy with your 400ex?

Ruby Soho
06-02-2008, 07:22 PM
im happy with mines power, handling.. another story.

the only thing id like but takes to much work, is to make it rev quicker. i believe lightening the flywheel does the trick for that but im not gonna bother.

plunge
06-02-2008, 07:25 PM
mine seems good enough for me. i ran it along side my buddies enduro and i had it to 63 top speed. i'd kind of like it faster, but i can't get going that fast on the trails in the woods anyways. the next quad i get will probably be a 450.

blue_ex_rider
06-02-2008, 07:25 PM
lighting the flywheel will do the trick I did that also put the dyna programmable ignition on and i think it helped some as well.

billyboy93
06-02-2008, 07:38 PM
not yet but soon a ct exhust and a few others

06-02-2008, 07:39 PM
The mods listed below in my signature get me going. Its pretty good but I am looking for a little bit more. Sparks Key is next and that sould be plenty for what i do. After that no more performance its suspension/handling

DementeD
06-02-2008, 07:46 PM
mines pretty much stock but i enjoy it..i think i might put a cam and a cdi box but leave it alone til im ready to rebuild it..or get something thats faster

i still havent topped it out yet
it gets a lil unsteady at very high speeds
i know some bearings need replacing and the back left tire leaks slowly..so i dont bother topping it out really ..i mean i come close very close but i dont stay on it til it tops out

as far as woods/trails etc..its plenty for that stuff..probably even small tracks for me since i havent raced/jumped quads before..

but im sure eventually a bug will bite and ill want faster..ive always wanted faster since my first go-kart at 5 til my first car and i dont think nows a time where ill stop. :D

MOON
06-02-2008, 08:07 PM
My 440 is just as powerful as a 450R so I'm good for a few years until the next generation of 450's come out.

Honda4lyphe
06-02-2008, 09:19 PM
I couldnt ask for more, for the kind of riding i do it does great. I hardly have any engine mods, just a pipe and a choke mod. Its plenty fast through trails and climbs steep rocky hills, i went riding with a friend that has a built 250r and did nearly everything he was able to do. I think a big part of it is my itp holeshot HD's, their the best tire ive ever used on a quad, they may wear fast but man they can take anythint you throw at them. I ride with guys that have kfx 400's, i keep up with them no problem and i like how the 400ex power kicks in rather then the kfx, the 400ex gives its gears time to ride out, the kfx is just strait up. Hard to explain, if your thinking about getting a 400ex then id highly reccomind it. The other 400's are great too, they've had less trouble than me but its just all normal maintaince that will go out sometime.

leasureryan
06-02-2008, 09:25 PM
My quad is awesome. Rides like a dream, and has tons of power, even though it is damn close to being stock. It satisfies, but there is no limit to my "extra power wishes". I think every man can agree. More power=more fun!

BigBore24
06-02-2008, 09:58 PM
mine is plenty powerful enough for me. im just sick of all these valvetrain problems ive been having (timing chain worn, tensioner breaking causing broken valves, valve guide breaking destroying piston, noisy valves) so thats why im looking for a 2 stroke

honda729
06-03-2008, 12:25 AM
400ex dominates the woods
450r dominates the track
and then yamaha is somewhere out back pickin their nose

brokenmike
06-03-2008, 07:02 AM
I'am VERY happy with my 400ex. The mods are in my sig. I dont really want anymore power. My front end comes up enough as is.

red_rider_069
06-03-2008, 09:50 AM
the 400ex to me seems like a joke compared to the 450.. you have to put too much money into it to get the power that would satifsfy me... instead you could get a 450 and invest half of what you invest on a 400 and make it twice as good as a 400 anyday.. its not enough for anything i do.. hill climbing.. drag... track... and trails.. idk how ppl can say that the 400 is great on trails.. maybe cause of the soft suspension.. but the 400 does not get the job done for me.. i will soon be buying a 450r.. :D.. maybe the ktm450. anyways thats my opinion..

red_rider_069
06-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by honda729
450r dominates the track
and then yamaha is somewhere out back pickin their nose lol.. what is yamaha picking there nose at the top? get real kid.. we all should know by now that yamaha is the best stock 450 out.. but like me i am faithful to honda.. and i ride the best i can to prove that the bike has nothing to do with it.. and i have proved it on tracks.. and i will on drags when i get a 450:blah:

madmax400ex
06-03-2008, 10:55 AM
lol.. what is yamaha picking there nose at the top? get real kid.. we all should know by now that yamaha is the best stock 450 out.. but like me i am faithful to honda.. and i ride the best i can to prove that the bike has nothing to do with it.. and i have proved it on tracks.. and i will on drags when i get a 450:blah: [/B][/QUOTE]

I would have to disagree, KTM is the best stock in my opinion!

honda729
06-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by red_rider_069
lol.. what is yamaha picking there nose at the top? get real kid.. we all should know by now that yamaha is the best stock 450 out.. but like me i am faithful to honda.. and i ride the best i can to prove that the bike has nothing to do with it.. and i have proved it on tracks.. and i will on drags when i get a 450:blah:

i just hate yamaha so i rip on them for no good reason

DementeD
06-03-2008, 12:02 PM
the 400ex to me seems like a joke compared to the 450.. you have to put too much money into it to get the power that would satifsfy me... instead you could get a 450 and invest half of what you invest on a 400 and make it twice as good as a 400 anyday.. its not enough for anything i do.. hill climbing.. drag... track... and trails.. idk how ppl can say that the 400 is great on trails.. maybe cause of the soft suspension.. but the 400 does not get the job done for me.. i will soon be buying a 450r.. :D.. maybe the ktm450. anyways thats my opinion..

i guess that depends on who u are..
u can spend 1500 and have a perfect 400ex to ride normally with nerfs filter slip on jetted etc..
then spend 500-1000 and have a very nice 400ex that can easily hang with a stock 450r for..what 2500 tops..which is about half what ud pay for a 450r??

thats just MY opinion

exracer416
06-03-2008, 12:25 PM
i dindt have any problem hangin withthe 450's yesterday at the race. i'm an a-class rider and im pretty happy with my 05 it just has a cam, full yoshi pipe, filter and a smaller front sprocket. runs perfect for me. i'll be doin better once i get my suspension situation figured out..

red_rider_069
06-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by madmax400ex
lol.. what is yamaha picking there nose at the top? get real kid.. we all should know by now that yamaha is the best stock 450 out.. but like me i am faithful to honda.. and i ride the best i can to prove that the bike has nothing to do with it.. and i have proved it on tracks.. and i will on drags when i get a 450:blah:

I would have to disagree, KTM is the best stock in my opinion! [/B][/QUOTE] well i havevnt been around any ktms.. and i havent seen anyshoots outs or vids. coudn't tell ya

red_rider_069
06-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by DementeD
u can spend 1500 and have a perfect 400ex to ride normally with nerfs filter slip on jetted etc..
then spend 500-1000 and have a very nice 400ex that can easily hang with a stock 450r for..what 2500 tops..which is about half what ud pay for a 450r??

thats just MY opinion so your saying you'd get a 450 or fix a 400?

Hondamaster5505
06-03-2008, 01:39 PM
450r dominates the track
and then yamaha is somewhere out back pickin their nose

lol.

Come on, get real. Honda doesnt even have factory support for racing, lmao. The YFZ rules.

And 700r dominates the woods.

But, as much as I praise yamaha's, I will admit I like my 400ex. It may not be super fast, but its still quick and pretty nimble.

honda729
06-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
lol.

Come on, get real. Honda doesnt even have factory support for racing, lmao. The YFZ rules.

But, as much as I praise yamaha's, I will admit I like my 400ex. It may not be super fast, but its still quick and pretty nimble.

didnt think i was gonna get burned for rippin on yamahas in this section, they probably are better but i like my honda. just keepin the threads lighthearted, no need to get defensive, lol :D

Hondamaster5505
06-03-2008, 02:12 PM
didnt think i was gonna get burned for rippin on yamahas in this section, they probably are better but i like my honda. just keepin the threads lighthearted, no need to get defensive, lol :D

lol

MOON
06-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505

LOL:rolleyes: , a Kawasaki Mojave or a Blaster is king in the woods. The woods I ride are T..I..G..H..T, anything wider than a stock width EX would get stuck between the trees.

DementeD
06-03-2008, 02:22 PM
so your saying you'd get a 450 or fix a 400?

no im saying id get a 400ex cuz its a great bike and has some good power and is very cheap..

and theres tons of parts that are cheap to make them pretty fast

of course a 450r will be faster mod for mod..but price vs price
the 450r is just not a top choice for an average rider

exrider272
06-03-2008, 02:24 PM
i love my 426... it will eat 450s all day down the drag strip.. the only thing that i dont like about the 400s are the sespenison witch i hope to get soon.. and u can make a 400 fast with not much money. unlike the 450s.

MOON
06-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by exrider272
i love my 426... it will eat 450s all day down the drag strip.. the only thing that i dont like about the 400s are the sespenison witch i hope to get soon.. and u can make a 400 fast with not much money. unlike the 450s.

Man You hit the nail on the head.

red_rider_069
06-03-2008, 02:42 PM
no im saying id get a 400ex cuz its a great bike and has some good power and is very cheap..

and theres tons of parts that are cheap to make them pretty fast

of course a 450r will be faster mod for mod..but price vs price
the 450r is just not a top choice for an average rider lol.. yea i see what your saying but i dont know if im average and i dont consider myself avergae.. but i know that 450s arent much more than 400 around here.. and 450s are made for competition.. and well i dont care much about price.. i care more about performance.. and the way i see it i made a bad decision getting a 400 ex becuase my adrenanline makes me want so much more.. i cant explain it.. but r.i.p. 400 lol.. im going to a 450 :D.. and a 450 isnt very expensive there just about 4-5000 for the 07 right now.. dont get me wrong i love my 400ex but its just not enough for me.. and the more i put into it the more i want.. so a 450 with 1500 into it will satify me.. i see 400 as a beginers bike.. and all around confort bike.. but i dont ride for confort or to burn time.. i ride as hard as i can every where.. theres just somthing that impulses me to do more than i can.. i know someone ouut there must know what i mean..:ermm:

i dont know if you know what i mean.. but whats all this of getting mods from a 450 like pegs, carb, shocks.. the way i see it its a cheap way to make you keep up with 450s.. and if there weren't 450s what would impulse you to be the little guy on the field? but thats the thing i dont wanna be the little guy any more :blah: .. i wanna be at the top:devil:

AnDy7
06-03-2008, 03:01 PM
i like my 400 for just messing around, and is a great wheelie bike, but i would have to say that it doesn't compare to a 450. and a funny story today i had some friends over and he had bought a used yfz 04 (used) and we were jumping and just before he was going to hit it it got really loud and lost power and the head pipe came out of the head! i personally thought it was funny. thats what you get for buying used and a Yamaha....

DementeD
06-03-2008, 03:10 PM
well i paid 1700 for my 400ex thats piped filtered jetted now advanced timing and plus itp holeshots and itp rims nerfs ...nice bike
and as far as atv right now im definitely back to beginner..i havent rode in about..8yrs and when i did it was always 2 stroke dirt bikes soo..this is definitely different..

i dont ride very easy i will say that although i can if i want..
and i definitely understand the MORE MORE MORE power situation..
time off from dirt bikes etc i went into car racing and i spent a lot of money especially for being 18-20..one year alone i dropped 10,000 just in building motors etc and thats a lot for an average working guy (not balling yet hehe) so when i switched back to riding i went with atv's since i can teach my girl and get her one..
plus gas is soooo high its not even worth racing a damn car anymore..

and i THOUGHT mods would be relatively cheap..however in that dept. i was mistaken..

i dont understand how atv parts are so expensive..coming from the car scene..its crazy

i mean..i raced honda cars..and they are definitely more expensive then people think..

just a lil bit of info real fast

to have a bore/stroked 400ex ..u can find kits listed at about 700bucks..1 piston..one crank..and i believe the rod as well plus gaskets etc..(debating on doing this)

for my honda car..500 for pistons..300 for rods..700 for crank plus gaskets etc..now obviously this is one large crank 4 pistons 4 rods and ur at 1500 plus gaskets..(been there done that)

now a v8...u can get a full stroked 383 set up..with 8 pistons 8 forged rods and a forged crank for 1000 bucks..(friend just did this for his 350)

now how n the F does that sound even close to being right..???

atv parts are super expensive imo for what u get..but so were import cars :(

leasureryan
06-03-2008, 07:27 PM

thats just MY opinion

EXACTLY! I just jetted this kids 450R today. He came into the shop trying to buy a jet kit. I told him to let me do it. Don't get me wrong, it has balls, especialy after I jeted it, but that thing rode like the biggest peice of crap. Horrible! I mean, I know they aren't all like that, but damn.....99% of the used 450R quads you will find, have been ragged and dragged, and are pretty much junk by the time you get it. Not all, but most. Needless to say, I really wasn't all that impressed. I guess I got lucky when I found my quad as it is....I could never ever ask for a better deal, or better quad, and it is still damn near stock motor wise. I got EVERYTHING else,just waiting to have major engine troubles before I go doing any extensive motor work. Don't fix it if it ain't broke,right!

Anyways....400ex......best all around Honda quad, yamaha doesn't have anything less than a 450 that could ever compete. Suzuki, and Kaw........blah....you can keep em'!

HondaRaceReady
06-03-2008, 07:33 PM
i like my 400 for just messing around, and is a great wheelie bike, but i would have to say that it doesn't compare to a 450. and a funny story today i had some friends over and he had bought a used yfz 04 (used) and we were jumping and just before he was going to hit it it got really loud and lost power and the head pipe came out of the head! i personally thought it was funny. thats what you get for buying used and a Yamaha....
Yamaha ATV's are such trash except for the banshee. Also, I doubt the yfz450r is faster than a trx450r.

06-03-2008, 08:19 PM
My friend always had 400ex. He went through buying riding and selling 6 or so before buying a 450r. He rode the 450r for a while then stwitched back to a 400ex. I asked why he said "yeah the 450 is fast an all but it just aint me. Its not as fun as the 400 was and it just didnt feel right." 400ex handle excellent and may be the best handling along with the 250r. I want a 450 but at the same time I dont. I love my 400ex, sometimes I wish I had a 450r because they are faster and have better suspension but I cant pass up the maintainance and reliability and fun factor of the 400ex. Like said above too spend a bit on it and you will have the perfect 400ex. A few simple mods make it fast enough to do anything an suspension is the biggest factor as is with most quads. Upgrade the suspension as in 450r fronts maybe revalve and respring all 3 shocks or go aftermarket an the quad will ride and handle like a dream.

rcatvrider
06-03-2008, 08:20 PM
With different gearing the power is perfect for tight trails. Until I get front shocks and tires it wont handle as good as I would like though.

jesseweaver
06-03-2008, 08:30 PM
i dont see how this turned into a yami/honda/all other 450s debate. you cant really pick a perfect 450. its whatever fits you the best, and what you are comfortable on and what kind of riding you do. those KTM450SXs look pretty nice, but then you gotta factor in price too.... i guess its a never-ending argument.

and i do believe the next generation 450s are coming now with the KTMs specializing in different woods and track quads, i bet other companys will follow. just like the bikes...

back on topic. i am very happy with the power my 400 has. it was way more than what i expected when i got it. but i dont know if i will ever ride something that im not thinking "man i wish this would take off a little faster" or "why is it topping out already..." and i think almost everyone on here can relate to those thoughts.

...except maybe those upper cc sportbikes like the ninja zx14 and the hyabusa, their 0-60 is like mid 2 seconds and 1/4 mile is like 8 or 9 stock if i remember right and thats just rediculous. plus you can get bikes like this for easy 5 or grand. you could get something wlse that goes that fast, but you'll probably be paying an extra 200grand. but that a whole other topic...

Wheelie
06-03-2008, 09:01 PM
My EX has enough power to keep me happy....for now.

mooseracerX
06-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by exracer416
i dindt have any problem hangin withthe 450's yesterday at the race. i'm an a-class rider and im pretty happy with my 05 it just has a cam, full yoshi pipe, filter and a smaller front sprocket. runs perfect for me. i'll be doin better once i get my suspension situation figured out..
I totally agree, I smoked 3 LTRs and 2 YFZs on Saturday. It was only C class but still these guys have 450's and I've been in only 7 races. haha
You guys are all wrong Polaris 800 sportsman dominates the real "woods".

miller821
06-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Love it for the trails... Track is a different story.

krt400ex
06-04-2008, 06:24 AM
i would like a little more power out of my 400, but imma nut on that thing and more power would probably mean that i would just kill myself a little sooner. what i really want is for the bike to rev faster. i was considering lightening and rebalancing the crankshaft counterweights. a couple ounces off of them is way better than taking a little off of the flywheel. i love the handling of the bike though.

i have been looking into 250R's though lately too cuz i love that two smoke powerband. i have my eye on a 310 stroker that freaking halls *****

red_rider_069
06-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by krt400ex
i would like a little more power out of my 400, but imma nut on that thing and more power would probably mean that i would just kill myself a little sooner. what i really want is for the bike to rev faster. i was considering lightening and rebalancing the crankshaft counterweights. a couple ounces off of them is way better than taking a little off of the flywheel. i love the handling of the bike though.

i have been looking into 250R's though lately too cuz i love that two smoke powerband. i have my eye on a 310 stroker that freaking halls ***** i agree with the need of more power.. specially in 3d gear... i feel lots of power loss in 3d.. ( a yz85 beat me in a drag) i felt tons of powerloss in 3d.. then i grabbed my buddies 450.. and i left him in the dust.. :D..

jesseweaver
06-04-2008, 05:33 PM
i agree with the need of more power.. specially in 3d gear... i feel lots of power loss in 3d.. ( a yz85 beat me in a drag) i felt tons of powerloss in 3d.. then i grabbed my buddies 450.. and i left him in the dust.. :D..

thats embarrasing. a yz85 beating a 440 with yosh and other stuff. thats all rider right there. i wouldn't admit stuff like that

and 3rd gear is where mine hits the hardest:confused:

Misfit138
06-04-2008, 05:57 PM
That is pretty bad.:eek: I for sure would not have said that.My 440 also hits pretty hard in 3rd.I can stay right with the 450's,& my buddies with kfx 450's & honda 450's can't stand it!!!!:D

416exfreak
06-04-2008, 05:59 PM
My 440 isnt fast enough for me..

I ride with all banshees and my dad who's going to be on a 770 raptor here directly...

But I really wish we would have opted for a 450 when we bought my 400ex.:ermm:

powermadd400ex
06-04-2008, 08:00 PM
well, my 400ex is stock as of now, and i dont intend on doing a 416, 426 or 440.i choose my 400ex because it was a good all around quad, i ride trails, mx, and soon to race XC. the bike is easy to work on and is reliable. dont get me wrong, i wish i had a lil bit more speed, but id rather have a quad that works then a quad that is broken or im always workin on it. im 15 and in a few years i hope too buy the ktm 525, for my "speed" quad.
i keep up with z400s and ive passed numerous 450s and 400s on the track.
i dont need the extra speed to put myself in front.
just my 2cents
ohh and i do feel like 3rd is cuttin out a lil bit too soon as well

Misfit138
06-04-2008, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by powermadd400ex
well, my 400ex is stock as of now, and i dont intend on doing a 416, 426 or 440.i choose my 400ex because it was a good all around quad, i ride trails, mx, and soon to race XC. the bike is easy to work on and is reliable. dont get me wrong, i wish i had a lil bit more speed, but id rather have a quad that works then a quad that is broken or im always workin on it. im 15 and in a few years i hope too buy the ktm 525, for my "speed" quad.
i keep up with z400s and ive passed numerous 450s and 400s on the track.
i dont need the extra speed to put myself in front.
just my 2cents
ohh and i do feel like 3rd is cuttin out a lil bit too soon as well

Best post I've read in a long time!!;)

powermadd400ex
06-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Misfit138

thanks bro =]

red_rider_069
06-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
thats embarrasing. a yz85 beating a 440 with yosh and other stuff. thats all rider right there. i wouldn't admit stuff like that

and 3rd gear is where mine hits the hardest:confused: haha sure is sad.. and why would i lie? its crazy how i lost.. i know its not rider its my bike.. i drag all time.. i jsut top out and get passed up.. im always geting holeshot..
and btw when i raced the 85 i was way up ahead.. when i hit 3d i felt tremendous power loss.. idk why it happend.. seems like sometinhgs wrong.. but anyways yea.. i felt power loss and he passed me up.. (i didnt over rev either)

Cool Guy07400EX
06-05-2008, 01:49 AM
Might want to check out your bike man. Sounds like there is something WAYY wrong with it if your losing to a yz85. hahaha.

AZ440ex
06-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Misfit138

Agreed! My 440 has been absoulutly the best quad I have had. A dragster it is not, there is always someone faster but it has to be one of the best feeling bikes ever. I went to buy a full race 450r and wow did it have great power. 56 rwhp but it just felt awkward in the corners.

I think of it this way, no one ever remembers a 450 beating a 400ex, but when my old poor 440 eats them up, well just watch the crowd gather in awe!

I'm curious what kinda riding are you doing when you feel this 3rd gear loss? What is the gearing? I never really felt this in stock form and my 440 pulls hard in 3rd.

400ex28
06-05-2008, 10:24 AM
eehh its alright but i will either hybrid it or get a 450 this winter.

whitebros400
06-05-2008, 10:45 AM
yea my 400 is ok but i will rather get a 450 with a pipe and a filter than spend alot of money on parts for my 400 just to make it fast

AZ440ex
06-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by 400ex28
eehh its alright but i will either hybrid it or get a 450 this winter.

Hybrid is a different story. I feel that is the best of both worlds. Good feel and tons of power. The only thing that stops me from a conversion is these days you can buy a CRF Hybrid with an aftermarket frame for less than you can build one. There is some NICE hybrids for sale on here!!

krt400ex
06-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver

and 3rd gear is where mine hits the hardest:confused:

mine too. i can run third gear from idle to redline and the thing freakin pulls. i love third in mine, it is perfect for the power output.

06-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
mine too. i can run third gear from idle to redline and the thing freakin pulls. i love third in mine, it is perfect for the power output.

timing key does that. It makes a pretty big difference.

Speedy 400ex
06-05-2008, 08:17 PM
I love the power. I will probly go to a 416 later in the year just for giggles.:devil:

red_rider_069
06-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Cool Guy07400EX
Might want to check out your bike mine. Sounds like there is something WAYY wrong with it if your losing to a yz85. hahaha. yea thats what i been thinking.. im going to get it checked pretty soon.. i think it might need to be revaulved.. and just get it checked.. and actually yz 85 is pretty fast.. i dont think it could beat me.. but it did in the drag.. and well i know i know how to ride.. you seen my pics and everything..

and well back to the thread, no my 400ex does not have enough power for me..

krt400ex
06-06-2008, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
timing key does that. It makes a pretty big difference.

that makes sense