PDA

View Full Version : Heli-coils vs. HD head studs

frenimy
06-02-2008, 06:57 PM
What are the differences and how hard are the heli-coils to install. I know you have to drill and tap but does it need to be done by a machine shop or can I just do it with a drill. I was looking into the HD studs but that is another $100+ for the roll tap so I am interested in alternatives. Also how much difference is there in the holding power between the two?

blue_ex_rider
06-02-2008, 07:21 PM
I would go with the studs some ppl think the coils work. But i tried them and didnt have muck look with them but the studs worked great from me.

drew416ex
06-02-2008, 08:39 PM
the heli coils work just as good if done correctly. I have had heli coils and now have hd studs and so far both hold the same. Just remember after its heli coiled you cant retap it to a different size.

hypersnyper6947
06-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Just do the studs its not that expensive. I just sent my cylinder to gt thunder to have them done it was $59 for the studs and $55 for the install. Not bad for a lot of piece of mind.

bdtoady22
06-03-2008, 08:20 PM
i havent had to do this to mine yet but here is some info on heli coils. nasa uses them on every bolt on the space shuttle, pro engine builders use them on pulled head studs, detroit diesel uses them in all of there remanufactured semi motors i've used them on this and that and never had a failure, you can also use a heli coil inside of a heli coil i know that i am going to use them when i have to so dont be afraid!!!!!