PDA

View Full Version : trx450r or yfz450

jason_david1
06-02-2008, 05:54 PM
i am thinking about getting another atv. it will either be a yfz450 or a trx450r. i dont want a kawi or suzuki 450. i just want other opinions on which one to get. i dont know what year on either so tell me the good and the bad.
thanks

pro-rider46
06-02-2008, 05:58 PM
i would wait until honda and yamaha come out with there new designs and get the one thats better

MOON
06-02-2008, 08:24 PM
As of right now......Honda & Yamaha are dead even. Honda has the engine, and suspension. Yamaha has the handling and the other little things.

Hondamaster5505
06-03-2008, 02:33 PM
YFZ!

The yamaha is just a little better all around, handling, power, etc. The only thing, the honda may be a little more reliable, because its a little bit more basic. Like the single cam and such.

But, shy away from the 04-05. 04's were flat out horrible. and 439cc. 05's got better shocks, but still werent exactly the best. still had problems and 439cc.

In 06 they got it pretty much down pat, with suspension and other little odds and ends improving every year.

MOON
06-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
YFZ!

The yamaha is just a little better all around, handling, power, etc. The only thing, the honda may be a little more reliable, because its a little bit more basic. Like the single cam and such.

But, shy away from the 04-05. 04's were flat out horrible. and 439cc. 05's got better shocks, but still werent exactly the best. still had problems and 439cc.

In 06 they got it pretty much down pat, with suspension and other little odds and ends improving every year.

Same with the Honda, stay away from '04-'05's. There underpowered and the suspension is too soft. But it's the HONDA that has the better engine.

Hondamaster5505
06-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by MOON
Same with the Honda, stay away from '04-'05's. There underpowered and the suspension is too soft. But it's the HONDA that has the better engine.

Maybe BETTER, but not FASTER. the yfz is still pretty dependable though, except for the 04-05's, lol.

Yamaha has a little more of a mid-top, while the trx has more of a mid-range powerband. Me coming from two-strokes, makes me like the yfz a little more. Top end on any 450 still doesnt impress me though...:(

MOON
06-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Maybe BETTER, but not FASTER.

Lets get 1 thing squared away, My dads 450R using stock parts, pulls any stock YFZ. Dirt or pavement, doesn't matter.

Hondamaster5505
06-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Lets get 1 thing squared away, My dads 450R using stock parts, pulls any stock YFZ. Dirt or pavement, doesn't matter.

All quads come out of the factory different. Plus, riders are a huge factor.
From all my experiences the YFZ was faster than the 450r.

Before this turns into an argument lets just stop. Im becoming wiser the longer im on this site, and realized that the fighting goes nowhere. lol.

MOON
06-03-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm not arguing, just saying the truth.

SRH
06-03-2008, 03:46 PM
YFZ!

the average rider would hardly tell a difference from the 04- to a 08, and ive got a 04 on the original crank there were no problems just lazy owners who thought you did only yearly oil changes

yellow400ex05
06-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Well not sure if your buying new or used but IMO I like the 04-05 450r's I think they pull harder and handle better than the newer ones and I think even if they have a few problems take them to a good shop have them check or replace any parts that may have been a problem in the first year models.

I don't like the way the '06+ R's feel don't like they way they ride or the way the power comes on as much.

Hondamaster5505
06-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by SRH
the average rider would hardly tell a difference from the 04- to a 08, and ive got a 04 on the original crank there were no problems just lazy owners who thought you did only yearly oil changes

Most do have problems, and the 04 had overly stiff suspension with overly stiff seat. They did have oiling problems, whether you want to believe it or not. You mustve just been lucky, it doesnt happen to everyone.

Who are you to talk about suspension, your rolling on shocks with walsh arms:p

Hondamaster5505
06-03-2008, 04:04 PM

ignorance. It wont last you very long on these forums..

07250ex
06-03-2008, 04:30 PM

shut up dude yes you are the yfz's better than the 450r get the **** over it

mstrfreestyle69
06-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Most do have problems, and the 04 had overly stiff suspension with overly stiff seat. They did have oiling problems, whether you want to believe it or not. You mustve just been lucky, it doesnt happen to everyone.

Who are you to talk about suspension, your rolling on shocks with walsh arms:p

who are you to talk you ride a 400ex and prolly never riden anything bigger, and you sound pretty ignorant your self.

but anyways, i ACTUALY HAVE rode both. Ive owned an 05 HONDA 450r and now i am working modding out a 04. brother inlaw had a yfz and i rode it allot. I love both of them (almost bought an 05 yfz instead of the r) but keep on going back to the honda just becuase it seems like everything is more open and is simpler to work on, and the honda dealer back home is better than the yamaha dealership. just comes down to personal preferance realy, ride both and decide witch one You would like, its the only way to realy find out witch is better for you.

Hondamaster5505
06-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by mstrfreestyle69
who are you to talk you ride a 400ex and prolly never riden anything bigger, and you sound pretty ignorant your self.

but anyways, i ACTUALY HAVE rode both. Ive owned an 05 HONDA 450r and now i am working modding out a 04. brother inlaw had a yfz and i rode it allot. I love both of them (almost bought an 05 yfz instead of the r) but keep on going back to the honda just becuase it seems like everything is more open and is simpler to work on, and the honda dealer back home is better than the yamaha dealership. just comes down to personal preferance realy, ride both and decide witch one You would like, its the only way to realy find out witch is better for you.

Actually, I have a 400ex and a banshee. I've ridden much bigger before. Actually, heres a couple ive ridden in the past:

660 raptor
yfz450
450r
scrambler 500 4x4
grizzly 660
DS650
250r three wheeler
predator
warrior
kodiak 400

Yes, the beauty of having a large riding group:D

I never said anything that bad about the 2005. They improved the suspension greatly on them. The 04's were the hard ones. They also made the seat softer on the 05. It's still onlt 439cc and still some had oiling problems.

I never said anything about preferance. Im totally for that. If you have fun riding whatever you have, thats great. I never said anything against that. Im generally more biased towards yamaha, mainly because all the yamaha's weve had in the past and present have NEVER failed or broke down on us.

MOON
06-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by 07250ex
shut up dude yes you are the yfz's better than the 450r get the **** over it

Opinions are like @$$holes, everybody has one nobody wants to hear about yours.:o

quadracer85st
06-03-2008, 08:31 PM
i dont think one is better than the other. i have an 05 r and i like it alot. i have rode a couple of yfz's to and they are great also. both have ups and downs. they are so close, that it comes down to the rider on track or trails. if i were you i would sit on each one and see which feels right for you as far as comfort, ergonomics etc. if you know some one that has one or the other see if they will let you take it for a spin and see how you like it. for me the honda just suited me better and felt right to me. others the yfz is more comfortable. ultimately which ever one you feel more confident and comfortable on you will be faster with. good luck in your decision.

pro-rider46
06-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Almost everyone in this thread is inmature, and guys you are arguing about whats better, you otta know that people will argue with you. if you guys really want to convince readers of whats better than the other, state some big points other than something like 11ccs, do you think that you can tell a difference between 11ccs. and most of what people are saying are more based on opinions not facts.

MOON
06-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Joe Byrd Kicks @$$ on a 450R. He would do the same on anything else, it's just rider preference and who dishes out more money.

Caseys 300ex
06-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by jason_david1
i am thinking about getting another atv. it will either be a yfz450 or a trx450r. i dont want a kawi or suzuki 450. i just want other opinions on which one to get. i dont know what year on either so tell me the good and the bad.
thanks

If i were you i sit on both the quads and see what feels better to you. The quads are so alike its all about how you feel on it. YOu wont notice a speed difference in the 2 unless your all about drag racing.

There both great quads and the only way you can go wrong is if you buy one your not comfortable on.

Flyin-Low
06-03-2008, 09:29 PM
I love these threads because a couple people chime in and say one is better than the other with their stupid little facts. Neither of the people arguing even have the said quads..

Just go out and buy whichever one feels right to you, you'll probably be just as fast on either one after a few months of riding.

Oh and BTW.. 07250ex, thanks for showing us all that you're a moron.

RideRed84
06-04-2008, 07:01 AM
The 450's these days are all so good that you basically pick a color. I am a honda guy and always will be. I will buy a 450R, but the yamaha is a great bike also. I think I'm going to hold off maybe another year and wait for the new 450R. But like everyone says, sit on both or ride both and make your desicion. If you like them both the same find the best deal you can and enjoy it. I'm sure for the type of riding I do there is no way I could tell the difference between the two machines.

hondarider101
06-04-2008, 07:43 AM
why would u want a yamaha. something that will leave u stranded anywhere you go. now i would get a 04 05 450 r. why? plenty of power ounce you spend some money to put a cam and a pipe on it .. its alot more noticable. you can go basically anywhere on a honda. but a yamaha is gonna leave you stranded and ure gonna wish you bought a honda!!

HOOOONNNDAAAA

CHAR250R
06-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by jason_david1
thanks

It depends on the level of rider you are. An average rider like myself won't notice too much of a difference between the 2. I'm a Honda guy, so I'd buy the Honda. I wouldn't mind having the Yamaha either... :)

Hondamaster5505
06-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by hondarider101
why would u want a yamaha. something that will leave u stranded anywhere you go. now i would get a 04 05 450 r. why? plenty of power ounce you spend some money to put a cam and a pipe on it .. its alot more noticable. you can go basically anywhere on a honda. but a yamaha is gonna leave you stranded and ure gonna wish you bought a honda!!

HOOOONNNDAAAA

More brand-biased ignorance..:rolleyes:

Say that to all of my old yamahas. They never broke down.

Rider preference. YFZ suits me better than 450r. If the 450r suits you more, thats great. get it and ride. most of the 450's have all the bugs out by now, so its basically a matter of feel and color.

07250ex
06-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Opinions are like @$$holes, everybody has one nobody wants to hear about yours.:o

exactly so dont start with urs dousche

07250ex
06-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Flyin-Low
I love these threads because a couple people chime in and say one is better than the other with their stupid little facts. Neither of the people arguing even have the said quads..

Just go out and buy whichever one feels right to you, you'll probably be just as fast on either one after a few months of riding.

Oh and BTW.. 07250ex, thanks for showing us all that you're a moron.

Oh and btw flyin-low if you'll read my next post and have read the rest of the thread you will see my sigificance and realize you are infact the moron

hondarider101
06-04-2008, 02:34 PM

Rider preference. YFZ suits me better than 450r. If the 450r suits you more, thats great. get it and ride. most of the 450's have all the bugs out by now, so its basically a matter of feel and color.

excatly you know nothing about what ure talking about. you say that cuz u own a piece of crap banshee made by yamaha

MOON
06-04-2008, 02:51 PM
exactly so dont start with urs dousche

OMG freakshow shut up already.

MOON
06-04-2008, 02:55 PM
excatly you know nothing about what ure talking about. you say that cuz u own a piece of crap banshee made by yamaha

You do know if he owned a TRX450R and you had a YFZ. You would sound just as ridiculous.

07250ex
06-04-2008, 03:19 PM
OMG freakshow shut up already.

what you all pissy because i $hit on you're little @sshole come back you asked for it in the beginning big guy

Hondamaster5505
06-04-2008, 03:23 PM

lol.

When i get my banshee back up and running, id be more than glad to meet with you somewhere and see this "piece of crap" race your 450.

I hate the 450 obsessed people. They think if you don't ride one yours quad is a piece of crap, and they think the 450's are gods gift to the earth:rolleyes: Not everyones like that, but a lot are.

Ive ridden both, and i like the yfz's ergonomics more.

So go rev your engine on the garage for your girlfriend while i actually ride.

MOON
06-04-2008, 03:24 PM
what you all pissy because i $hit on you're little @sshole come back you asked for it in the beginning big guy

Someone BAN THIS GUY.

Hondamaster5505
06-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Someone BAN THIS GUY.

I will admit, he has a very naughty vocabulary:p He has to chillax, maybe have a few drinks:huh

reptikes
06-04-2008, 03:35 PM
I haven't been on here in a couple days. And this is the first thread i decided to read. I am glad i did, because i got a good laugh. Actually, i wouldn't call it a laugh it was more like a good chuckle.:cool:

07250ex
06-04-2008, 03:38 PM
I will admit, he has a very naughty vocabulary:p He has to chillax, maybe have a few drinks:huh

im 15 .. so im not really a big drinker lol alchohol is the destruction of this earth anyways herb is where its at

tgreenz400
06-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Grow up

...If you want my opinion get the yfz

hondarider101
06-04-2008, 04:44 PM
youd be lucky if that banshee made it to the finish.

mx1791
06-04-2008, 07:03 PM
well im not even going to read this whole thread...

but i own an 07 450r and an 06 yfz. i raced the 450r all last season and ive been racing the yfz all this season. im 130lbs about 5'6 on a good day:D so i like the yfz more then the honda, its smaller and lighter feeling and i like the suspension more. both seem reliable enough

the honda had no air box lid, rejetted, and an hmf, yfz had stock pipe no baffle, air box lid with a small cut out, rejetted and the yfz owned the honda power wise, dont care what anyone says :)

Hondamaster5505
06-05-2008, 01:34 PM
youd be lucky if that banshee made it to the finish.

lol, see, so many people make banshee's look bad because they don't know how to maintain them..

My dad stays on top of his all the time, as far as maintance, and the whole time we had it, not one pop or sputter. We were even running it at 75psi per cylinder one time, and still started with 4 kicks and never sputtered.

So before you bash banshee's, actually ride one thats been maintained. I actually trust the banshee's reliabilty more than the 450's. Plus, if something does happen, even with two cylinders its cheaper to rebuild then a 450.

hondarider101
06-05-2008, 01:37 PM
i cant stand people who think a banshee can run and crap and think a bansheeis a gift from god.they suck

Hondamaster5505
06-05-2008, 01:42 PM
i cant stand people who think a banshee can run and crap and think a bansheeis a gift from god.they suck

lol, "can run"

I don't know about that, what do you call it when I kick it and it goes "rinnnngggg ring ring"? Im pretty sure thats running.

They are a gift from god, for duners and speed freaks:devil:

This thread isnt about banshee's, so im ending this. If you want to make another immature comeback, be my guest. Im ignoring you from now on.

Exrider434
06-05-2008, 04:50 PM
lol.

When i get my banshee back up and running, id be more than glad to meet with you somewhere and see this "piece of crap" race your 450.

Will you race in a straight line? Because I'm positive a 450r and a banshee on a track would be no comparison, the 450r would wreck it. My 400ex with stock suspension handles better than a banshee, and my 400ex handles like crap.

Oh and, i like the feel of the honda's better, they sit higher and they just feel more comfortable, although the yfz seems less tippy compared to the r.

Hondamaster5505
06-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Exrider434
Will you race in a straight line? Because I'm positive a 450r and a banshee on a track would be no comparison, the 450r would wreck it. My 400ex with stock suspension handles better than a banshee, and my 400ex handles like crap.

Oh and, i like the feel of the honda's better, they sit higher and they just feel more comfortable, although the yfz seems less tippy compared to the r.

O, of course. But I don't race MX, so I can give a rats donkey about that. Im a coalmine person. To tell you the truth, I like the way the banshee feels and handles, and thats that. I don't care what people say.

I can rail it around pretty damn good. Plus, I like jumping the banshee better. Unlike the 400, which i can jump, it still occasionally will try to buck me. No matter how I jump the shee, it stays straight and true. They just need offset rims and front shocks.

Im glad you like the 450 for track, if thats what you do. Ill use my 400ex when I go woods riding, but the banshee aint that bad either. I use that for the coalmines, which are like, trails/hills/rooster hills/jumps all combined.

krt400ex
06-06-2008, 08:41 AM
Maybe BETTER, but not FASTER. the yfz is still pretty dependable though, except for the 04-05's, lol.

Yamaha has a little more of a mid-top, while the trx has more of a mid-range powerband. Me coming from two-strokes, makes me like the yfz a little more. Top end on any 450 still doesnt impress me though...:(

lol. the new 450R's rape the yfz.

i know a kid who has a bone stock '04 450R that kills ltr's, kfx's and yfz's in stock form.

i would buy a 450R. i like the way they feel better than the yfz IMO. they feel like you are sitting in them/like a part of the machine, while the yfz...you feel like you are sittin on top of them which makes it uncomfortable. i dont care which machine is statistically better, i can ride whatever machine i feel more comfortable on faster, and that is the deciding factor when i choose which machine is btter for me. the best thing to do is ride both of them and choose which machine is better for you

hondarider101
06-06-2008, 10:44 AM
thats how i feel on my 04 like the gas tank and me feel like one like im on like a streetbike but on a atv... i fell more apart or it and not just out there on top of it... i would rather have a r for relieblity reasons yfz's being a yamaha have no reliabilty at all. they dont last and there are many mods alotof people do to a yfz when they get em because of how poor they are. for example the fuel mod on the 04's ...... i would never buy a yamah we had our experience w/ theold one we ha for a month then wwe got rid of it because it had poor reliabilty.

krt400ex
06-08-2008, 03:19 PM

if your a lady....i'll look at it :blah: :macho

trx400EXtreme
06-08-2008, 03:39 PM

Rider preference. YFZ suits me better than 450r. If the 450r suits you more, thats great. get it and ride. most of the 450's have all the bugs out by now, so its basically a matter of feel and color. you would know about brand-biased ignorance..... it seems like every thread you post in your saying something about yamaha being better than another brand. not trying to start anything......... but back to the topic, i'd get the 450r, thats just me. 06 and up yfz's are good, but the 04 and 05 seemed to have alot of problems, which is to be expected considering they were basicly the first 450 production quad.

rollie
06-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
if your a lady....i'll look at it :blah: :macho

http://i28.tinypic.com/ir4wnd.jpg