PDA

View Full Version : Neck braces?

dads400ex
06-02-2008, 05:13 PM
We had a good friend and coracer take a horrible get off this weekend. Luckily he only came away with a severe concusion and a broken bone in the cheek, could have been MUCH worse. He was wearing the leatt neck brace and I was wondering what everybody's pro's and con's are to the Leatt and the new ESV that is supposed to compete with the Leatt. I am looking into them as both my boys and myself race. So lets hear from everybody.

Thanks.

chadbarger18
06-02-2008, 05:18 PM
well the leatt takes the force from the head impact and puts it on the the coller bone and will cause them to break easly
but you would be better off with a broken coller bone than a broken neck

KXRida
06-02-2008, 05:20 PM
well mine just saved my life and my neck last week. I still broke my lower back though, but the doctor's said if I didn't have it there would be a good chance that'd I'd be paralyzed or dead from how I landed. Pro's, it saved my life and my neck. Let me see another day. Con's? well if I had to say anything I got a little brush mark on my shoulders and my jaw smashed into the cloth part leaving me with a sore jaw. I'd much rather have a sore jaw than I broken neck.

06-02-2008, 05:47 PM
i love my leatt. i dont realize its there anymore. i havent broke my neck yet. or wrecked bad with it yet. but i hear many storys of it saving lifes and saving necks. I do hear also it breaks collarbones. but 6weeks out for a collarbone is better then a wheelchair for life. Its a good investment. The evs wont ever be as good. its a copy. i wouldent chance it. leatt is proven

TRX450RACER174
06-02-2008, 05:48 PM
I have also had a bad wreck wearing a Leatt .Pros: I am walking today and able to play with my family and enjoy life Con: I have a type 3 shoulder seperation which will require surgery in the future to fix the shoulder.

flyboy62
06-02-2008, 07:11 PM
anybody had an expirence with the EVS? i want to get one. the leatts are way to much

KXRida
06-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by flyboy62
anybody had an expirence with the EVS? i want to get one. the leatts are way to much

I said the same thing, but now after having a severe crash, I can't put a price on my life. I said almost the exact same words. Thank god I spent my income tax on my leatt instead of something else. They do have the "adventure" series coming out, but the extra adjustability is well worth the money. The evs isn't as adjustable. I just can't stress how lucky I am and how glad I am that I bit the bullet and spent the $400. I value my neck a little more than $400. I know it sucks shelling out the cash, but you'll thank yourself 1000X over if you ever need to use the leatt though. I know I did.

maticus
06-03-2008, 02:42 PM
i dont see how the EVS one could be that bad they are after all a safety equipment company.

TRX450RACER174
06-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by maticus
i dont see how the EVS one could be that bad they are after all a safety equipment company.

Its not that its bad just the Leatt brace gives you alot of fine tuning for each indivdual person that wears it and the EVS brace does not incorporate all those features, you are right it is a good piece of saftey equipment im sure but probably not for everyone.

06-03-2008, 07:32 PM
I've heard that the EVS ones arent as good as the Leatts. Pro's to my Leatt- i dont break my neck. Cons- I cant wear my over the jersey chest protecter, but I have a under the jersey one and I like racing with it more now.

KXRida
06-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by nofearrider1
I've heard that the EVS ones arent as good as the Leatts. Pro's to my Leatt- i dont break my neck. Cons- I cant wear my over the jersey chest protecter, but I have a under the jersey one and I like racing with it more now.

just fyi you can still wear an over the jersey protector. My thor sentinel works great.

BlaineKaiser450
06-03-2008, 10:00 PM
ive got a leatt and love it to death

TRX450RACER174
06-04-2008, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by nofearrider1

Did you go on Leatts website and see how to modify your chest protector , I wear a Thor Force protector and it works fine just had to modify the shoulder guards.

KXRida
06-04-2008, 11:43 AM
lots of chest protectors work without modifications. My leatt just squeezes perfectly into my sentinel. I have to put my sentinel on, put the front and back of the leatt in, put the hooked side of the brace under my chest protector, take the back half unhooked piece and put under my chest protecter, then pull the front half back so it hooks in. Fits perfect!

TRX450RACER174
06-04-2008, 12:15 PM
What do you mean by hook in, your Leatt is suppose to be seperate from your chest protector and move independent.

KXRida
06-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by TRX450RACER174
What do you mean by hook in, your Leatt is suppose to be seperate from your chest protector and move independent.

It goes under my chest protector. It is independent from the sentinel.

This is the only pic I can really find at the moment that shows the leatt with the sentinel.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/100_2871.jpg

TRX450RACER174
06-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Right i got that the front and the back of the Leatt go under the chest protector but you arent putting your shoulder pads under the Leatt are you or are you not running shoulder pads.

KXRida
06-05-2008, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by TRX450RACER174
Right i got that the front and the back of the Leatt go under the chest protector but you arent putting your shoulder pads under the Leatt are you or are you not running shoulder pads.

sentinel's don't have shoulder pads :p

It doens't "hook" in but if you look at the leatt, those little flap looking plastic pieces right under the buckles is where the sentinal runs over. It "feels" like you hook it in but I'm just pulling it under my chest protector lol. Some people can just pull the sentinel right over the leatt, but I have the bigger spacers in it, so I can't get it past the buckles.

TRX450RACER174
06-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Got it

bwamos
06-05-2008, 01:39 PM
The downside to the EVS is that it is a one-size-fits-many style application. Very limited adjustability. The leatt has full adjustability so that it will releive and put the pressure where it needs to be.

It's like buying a Walmart M,L,XL suit vs. a custom tailored suit.

The customization costs more, but in the long run it works better and is more comfortable so you are more apt to use it.

Just my thoughts.

KXRida
06-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
The downside to the EVS is that it is a one-size-fits-many style application. Very limited adjustability. The leatt has full adjustability so that it will releive and put the pressure where it needs to be.

It's like buying a Walmart M,L,XL suit vs. a custom tailored suit.

The customization costs more, but in the long run it works better and is more comfortable so you are more apt to use it.

Just my thoughts.

you pretty much hit the nail on the head. The new adventure brace will be the same way. It's a one size do it all where the others are fully adjustable.

bluebaron
06-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Will they fit bigger guys, I'm talking like 260lbs

TRX450RACER174
06-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Are you talking about the Leatt ? my friend is 300lbs and he has wore mine with a few adjustments, it all depends on you chest and back size since thats what you have to adjust to make it comfortable.

300ex_#387
06-05-2008, 03:50 PM
I wear my Leatt with a sentinel chest protector also. Works awesome!! The 2 flaps on the leatte fit under the shoulder straps and stays in place.

KXRida
06-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by 300ex_#387
I wear my Leatt with a sentinel chest protector also. Works awesome!! The 2 flaps on the leatte fit under the shoulder straps and stays in place.

who did your leatt graphics and how much? Are they just the front and rear members or the whole thing. I might get a set just for the front and rear members because that's all you can see with the sentinel on.

300ex_#387
06-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Decal works did them. It comes as a kit for the front and rear.....I will post a couple pics to show you...

300ex_#387
06-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Rear...

300ex_#387
06-05-2008, 05:07 PM
And top.....They retail for $60.00 on their website. I got them for $45 with a sponsorship...

KXRida
06-05-2008, 05:54 PM
That's nice I like them! I know some places have a half kit. What style are they from decal works? Also, do they stick good to the cloth like pieces on the front and rear members?

08mxkfx
06-05-2008, 07:26 PM
I would love to get one but i dont have $400 to shell out for one...

KXRida
06-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by 08mxkfx
I would love to get one but i dont have $400 to shell out for one...

I'd still look into getting one. I said the exact same thing probably 4 months ago and used my tax return to get it and thank god I did. It saved me from being paralyzed or worse. I owe a lot to the leatt right now, so it's worth it's weight in gold.

06-05-2008, 08:56 PM
I want to get some graphics for mine. My dad actually bought mine for me. After I crashed one race and my neck was hurting he went out and got one. We got it pretty cheap from my sponsor(yamaha dealer)

300ex_#387
06-05-2008, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
That's nice I like them! I know some places have a half kit. What style are they from decal works? Also, do they stick good to the cloth like pieces on the front and rear members?

Hmm I cant remember the style name, but if you go to there website im sure you can find it. You can also design it yourself like changing the stripe colors and background colors and logos...