PDA

View Full Version : LT80 reed cage bolts

suzukilt80
06-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Hello all. I was going to replace the reeds in my LT80, but found that the Phillip head bolts will not budge on the reed cage. I suspect that I will need an impact wrench, but this will require the engine to be removed to facilitate using this tool on the bottom bolts. It is not absolutely necessary that I replace the reeds now, but wanted to see if there are any tips or techniques to removing these bolts with the engine in place. I have tried a number of Philip head screwdrivers and also different size Phillip on a small ratchet. No luck. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
..Matt

sp01
06-02-2008, 04:35 PM
I used a Impact driver to get mine off you can get one at most part stores

LT80
06-03-2008, 08:08 AM
Use a chisle and whack em loose.:)
I replace them with hex head bolts.

bansheeboyo
08-05-2008, 03:41 PM
hey lt80 when you say use a chisle and whack them off do you mean whak of the heads or whack the head till the chisle in and turn them out as my lt 80 tops out at 13 mph it has new piston new bore fmf exhaust speed gearing and chain tensinor ,uni air filter and a slightly bigger main jet 1 or 2 sizes bigger than stock
i am to heavy for it 200 pounds but surly it should go more than that eh i think the reeds need replacing 8 yrs old now like :eek:
you know anything that could be causing it to go so slow

etondaddy
08-05-2008, 03:57 PM
What he means is take a chisel and try to knock them towards the way they loosen......

Did you try a screw driver with a hex at the handle...... that's always worked for me push it in as hard as you can and turn the wrench......

Mike Kozura

bansheeboyo
08-05-2008, 04:01 PM
i tryed that but the screw heads just got butchred was thinking of trying to weld some decent hex heads on to the screws and getting it of that way but im wary of doing that did it on my other lt 80 and started a fire lol mum and dad were not ammused

s_pfingsten
08-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Howabout breaking them loose with visegrips?

That worked for me.:D :D

LT80
08-06-2008, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by bansheeboyo
hey lt80 when you say use a chisle and whack them off do you mean whak of the heads or whack the head till the chisle in and turn them out as my lt 80 tops out at 13 mph it has new piston new bore fmf exhaust speed gearing and chain tensinor ,uni air filter and a slightly bigger main jet 1 or 2 sizes bigger than stock
i am to heavy for it 200 pounds but surly it should go more than that eh i think the reeds need replacing 8 yrs old now like :eek:
you know anything that could be causing it to go so slow

200 aint nothing. It should go faster.
I suspect a clutch problem. Been in there lately?

Put the stock jet in. If anything, jet down a size.:rolleyes:

The vise grip thing is a good idea also. And he's correct in saying to use the chisle to loosen the bolts. :)