PDA

View Full Version : Any Union Carpenters?

Foxrage
06-02-2008, 09:46 AM
I have been looking for a career for about 3 years now. I tried college, family businesses, and other odds and ends jobs that paid well. I finally decided to try the union. I went throught the apprentice program. Its good money benifits and right up my alley as far as what i like to do. I live in an area with a lot of power plants so scaffold and concrete form work is where the works at.

Im just wondering if anyone else is in the union and how they like it. Where your located and what you do. Any tips and tricks. Thanks

quad59
06-02-2008, 10:01 AM
I was local 21 in cleveland . Only advice is to stay on the commercial side of it. Work your *** off ( even if everybody else including the foreman are slacking). They will see you busting *** and when the work gets slow you will stay and everybody else will get the pink slip. Never turn down overtime!! Try to stay out of the union drama... your paycheck comes from the company not the union...remember the union will take your dues but when your out of work they're not chipping in... Most of the fat buisness agents cruising around dont give two *(^( about you. Then they hook up there kids with buisness agent jobs when they have never strapped on a tool belt... WOW I'm ranting...work hard, respect the old timers, learn fast, make money.

sly400ex
06-02-2008, 12:02 PM
I was a union plumber/ pipefitter. I ended quiting and going back to school. I just could not handle the "we're union, we're brothers" mentality. It drove me nuts! Pay and benefits were good though.

quadracer85st
06-02-2008, 01:54 PM
im in the carpenters union. local 121 vineland nj. mostly do site layout and concrete work. just finished my apprenticeship. its great i love it. feels good to be a journeyman .lol. pays good and the benefits aren't bad either. plus its better than being stuck in an office all day. ill agree stay in the commercial side. alot of guys that i work with often say "slow down" 'take your time" "dont finish so fast". meaning they want to drag it out as long as possible. the heck with partners like that. they will just make you look bad. just go to work bust your butt and the contractor might keep you on steady while the rest of the of those guys are layed off looking for work. when layoffs are ready they will remember that you worked harder than the other guy and might can him instead of you. ive been steady with a company and havent been layed off since. i get some animosity from guys out of the hall but hey. its nice to get payed. also i agree try not to get caught up in the politics. good luck

HasRob
06-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Hope you know somebody because there hard to get into, the big unions. I'm an operating engineer out of philly burbs local 542 Love the $$ :D

Foxrage
06-02-2008, 10:18 PM
I deffinitly dont have a problem busting my ***. I started doing drywall about 2 years ago but within a year they wanted me to be the lead hanger and finisher. It was a family business so i am held back from making good wages. But i had a lot of freedom in the business. so i thought i would take my experience to the carpenters union. I wanted to try out the operators union. the thought of using a shovel for 4 years as an apprentice steered me away from it. I have noticed one thing around my area, it is based on who u know. if your not in good with someone high up in the chain u might as well hope for the best. once i get on the first job i just hope they notice my abilities. Thanks for some of the comments. Keep them comming!

quad59
06-03-2008, 05:03 AM
Its not that hard to get into the carpentes union. The hard part is getting a company to hire you and keep you for three months so you can get out of your probationary period.