PDA

View Full Version : Low Fuel Light?

ds450
06-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Anyone have any problems with their low fuel light? Mine is always on but really dim that you can only see it when its getting dark out and it doesnt get any brighter when it runs out of gas. I didnt see the light on and it ran out the other day and the computer shuts the quad off and the light still didnt get any brighter.

BenIL
06-02-2008, 01:15 AM
Few of my friends find out that the light bulb of the Low Fuel is getting burn, but I never heard about this problem.
Maybe the sensor is not good, or the light bulb itself. Check it with a dealer.

montsb
06-02-2008, 02:24 AM
On my DS450, I ran outta fuel yesterday, the light never came on. Thinking about talking to the dealer today... It seems to not work at all. If I find something out, I will let you all know!

ds450
06-02-2008, 06:13 AM
Okay let me know what they say. I work at a can-am dealer and its kinda hard to figure out the problem but the tech only looked at it once. He tried to hook it up to the computer but it didnt show anything. And my neural light burnt out.

ds450
06-03-2008, 08:01 AM
This is how the low fuel light works (this is out of the service manual):

"The low fuel level sensor is a thermistor mounted
on the fuel pump module inside the fuel tank.
When the electrical system is powered, a current
circulates through the negative temperature coefficient
sensor (NTC) which produces heat. The fuel
in the tank cools the sensor (a thermistor) preventing
its resistance value from dropping, therefore
limiting current flow due to the high resistance
of the thermistor.
When the fuel level has dropped to the point
where it cannot sufficiently cool the thermistor,
its resistance value drops due to the increase in
temperature. This causes an increase in current
flow to the point where the low fuel level light will
come on, at first dim, then brighter as the current
flow increases."

The problem with this is that with the gas tank located near the motor and behind the radiator, is causing the fuel to get hot and I think thats why my light is only very dim all the time and thats why I can only see it at night time but I need to figure out why it doesnt come on brightly when it runs out like its suppose to.

Quad_Runner
06-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Nice Find

jaredw
06-03-2008, 02:28 PM
mines at the dealer for this right now

ds450
06-03-2008, 04:54 PM
I work at a dealer so I can find stuff easily. We hooked mine up to the computer and got 2 fault codes but I havent looked into them yet. Im gonna look into them tomorrow I think I will post what I find out. Plus my neutral light stopped working also so that might be one of the codes.

jaredw
06-03-2008, 06:03 PM
we all know you work at a dealer, you say it in every post

ds450
06-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Okay im sorry because maybe he didnt know? haha

Quad_Runner
06-04-2008, 07:58 AM
DS450 I didn't know you work at a dealer. Thanks.

montsb
06-05-2008, 02:05 AM
Talked to the dealer today... they said that they could hook it up to the computer and see if anything pops up, checking into why the fuel light didn't come on... More info to come as I am not sure when I will take it to the dealer.

ds450
06-05-2008, 06:16 AM
They can hook it up to the computer and tell if the fuel light is hooked up but it doesnt tell you much about what could be wrong. Mine just came up with a code but it wouldnt say what was wrong so we have to do resistance testing.

montsb
06-06-2008, 03:27 AM
Figures, nothing easy! If you find out anything else on yours that is funny, let me know so they will have a better idea of where to look for the prob.

arshooter68
06-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Mine did not work from day 1, changed the bulb now it does.

ds450
06-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Mines on all the time but really dim and never gets brighter when it runs out.