PDA

View Full Version : ltr450 carburetor kit

miles Machine
06-01-2008, 06:23 PM
ive herd a few ppl talk about a carb kit for the ltr, if ne one has ne info or pics...ect. id like to check it out.

LTR450_#67
06-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Contact Walsh Race Craft Mike Walsh can help ya.....Nate may be able to help too.

ltrracer
06-01-2008, 10:47 PM
ya i have not heard of a kit but i know mike and nate are using a carb on cody gibsons LTR and it hauls ***, i wouldnt think a carb is better than FI but IDK

miles Machine
06-03-2008, 04:47 AM
you cnanget more power with a carburetor but u sacrifice a lil throttle response like everything you always have to sacrifice something

Warnerade
07-06-2008, 02:19 PM
if you feel like frying your motor...put a carb on it.

lilguy450
07-07-2008, 06:26 PM
ignorant ^^^

Warnerade
07-07-2008, 06:29 PM
lilguy = lilbrain

Drewltr450
07-07-2008, 07:07 PM
how would it fry your motor?

Warnerade
07-07-2008, 07:16 PM
when you rip off all of the EFI stuff, you no longer have a rev limiter

Drewltr450
07-07-2008, 07:18 PM
oh dahm never thought of that thats true.

LTandRaptorider
07-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by NacsRacer027
when you rip off all of the EFI stuff, you no longer have a rev limiter

you mean... you know what you are talking about?! :eek: :blah:

btw... got any extra front brake master cylinders for the LTR450 laying around you wanna sell? I need one for my LT250...

Warnerade
07-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
you mean... you know what you are talking about?! :eek: :blah:

btw... got any extra front brake master cylinders for the LTR450 laying around you wanna sell? I need one for my LT250... well look what the cat dragged out of the closet...

Not at the moment, if you feel like waiting until this winter let me know...I might end up buying an 09 lt-r this winter, and if I do I'll be parting out my 06...ill give you first dibs

lilguy450
07-08-2008, 11:29 AM
why don't you do some research before you make an ignorant comment like that its already been tested and proven to make 2-3 more hp and it also makes the power alot quicker and the rev limiter is in the CDI...you do not remove the cdi to make it carburated in fact you actually leave the cherry bomb on as well to keep the rev limiter at about 10,000rpm. do research before you post next time thank you

Warnerade
07-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by lilguy450
why don't you do some research before you make an ignorant comment like that its already been tested and proven to make 2-3 more hp and it also makes the power alot quicker and the rev limiter is in the CDI...you do not remove the cdi to make it carburated in fact you actually leave the cherry bomb on as well to keep the rev limiter at about 10,000rpm. do research before you post next time thank you I'm honestly not gonna bother wasting my time on you...

go ahead and put a carb on, when you fry your motor...let me know

Your welcome.

lilguy450
07-08-2008, 12:33 PM
lol wow didnt you just say that you need to take off the rev limiter in order to go carb and i just told you the revlimiter is in the CDI which isnt even touched when you convert from efi to carb all im saying is to back up your information and do a little research before you post like i said its already been proven and there are already LTR'S being run with the carb mine will be the first drag LTR with the carb conversion as far as i know

Warnerade
07-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Just because the CDI and cherry bomb are still attached, doesnt mean they are working properly.

Your right there are a few LTR's running with carbs, and those few are slowly going back to EFI.

have a good day

LTandRaptorider
07-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by NacsRacer027
well look what the cat dragged out of the closet...

Not at the moment, if you feel like waiting until this winter let me know...I might end up buying an 09 lt-r this winter, and if I do I'll be parting out my 06...ill give you first dibs

Naww... the cat drug me INTO the closet! :blah:

Hoping to find a master cylinder soon, last thing I need to complete the latest rebuild on the LT. If I don't, I'll let ya know come winter. Thanks bud. :cool:

And now, back to the argument... :p

lilguy450
07-08-2008, 02:58 PM
haha again wheres your proof? still havnt given me any proof this is all your opinion and if you want my proof give mike a call over at atp racing or give Walsh race craft a call theyll straiten you out

05Z400rdr
07-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Gibson is running the carb on his. I didn't see him have problems with his motor because of removing the EFI.. :confused: I agree with lilguy...call Walsh.. :macho

Landon

FHKracingZ
07-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Gibson isnt hurting for money at all, he probally has his motors rebuilt and gone over before it has a chance to hurt anything.

Warnerade
07-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by lilguy450
haha again wheres your proof? still havnt given me any proof this is all your opinion and if you want my proof give mike a call over at atp racing or give Walsh race craft a call theyll straiten you out dont need to call em...I know I'm right...you know your right. Go ahead and put a carb on it, just hope you got an extra head layin around.

you can argue this all you want I really could give 2 ****s...aint hurtin my motors at all.

lilguy450
07-08-2008, 03:40 PM
so tell me, since you know so much about this and you have done so much research what about the yfzs why dont they "blow up"? or any of the other thousands of carburated bikes out there? its the exact same concept ur just changing how the fuel is delivered your not removing any rev limiter or removing anything really ur just swapping things out and last time i checked you still havnt shown me any proof so again get your facts straight before you post

Warnerade
07-08-2008, 03:45 PM
why do you keep talking about showing you proof?

You want me to drive to Aaron Myers house and get one of his heads and ship it to your house and say "hi, heres your proof"

I've talked to his mechanic, anyone that has removed the efi and actually rides the bike to its ability will run into problems. They just started figuring it out, and he works on ATP motors....so odds are, ATP knows about it, as does every other big engine builder.

Wether or not they go back to efi or not, pretty much results in if they feel like dicking with the motor in result.

He could be wrong, maybe the problem was caused by something completely different, but I doubt it.

I like how you brought up honads and yamahas too...kinda made me chuckle a bit...They were made to run with carbs, the LT-R...just isnt.

lilguy450
07-08-2008, 04:04 PM
how could the problem be with the fuel delivery system? explain that to me? and how is it that a V8 engine can be successfully converted to carb and not an 450cc single piston motor the only thing i can think of that it wouldn't work is because of how the wires were spliced into each other if they were done wrong or something

oj250r
07-08-2008, 04:45 PM
i dont mean to just jump in here on this but hasn't cody and aaron been having problems with there bikes since the beginning of the season with the EFI and crab???.... i know cody personally and he said he loves the carb on his bike its just a little different from the EFI and takes time to get used too... ya gibson's bike gets rebuilt every race from what his mom told me but the bike hauls...all i know is that the LTR's i've seen with carb are freakin fast as crap and maybe it has something to do with the way mike(ATP) is building there motors cause i went to the first 2 rounds and cody and aaron were having nothing but problems and were pretty upset about it as well as the pops too..

FHKracingZ
07-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Mike Walsh fully builds and does all the motor work ( including porting ) to codys bikes, not ATP....

Carburated is not better than EFI.. Simply put , the top engine builders are not finding a FI map suitable for there builds, so there going to carbs..

Another big reason for going to a carb is the weight savings.. Mike Walsh told me 18 pounds going from Electric start/EFI to Kickstart/ Carb.

The FASTEST stock bore/stroke LTR's are the factory bikes. which are......

ding ding ding, fuel injected!

witech
07-08-2008, 10:42 PM
I could understand why some builders would want to go to carbs. Efi is all new for some and they may feel overwhelmed by the technology so they try to cobb on something they can work with. The one big drawback I can see is porting and cam timing . With porting you are limited with a carb as you need to keep the velocity and flow in certain parameters to keep it functioning. With efi you can pretty much do whatever you want and modify maps to work with anything. I would think by now they can build thier own maps.

oj250r
07-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ
Mike Walsh fully builds and does all the motor work ( including porting ) to codys bikes, not ATP....

Carburated is not better than EFI.. Simply put , the top engine builders are not finding a FI map suitable for there builds, so there going to carbs..

Another big reason for going to a carb is the weight savings.. Mike Walsh told me 18 pounds going from Electric start/EFI to Kickstart/ Carb.

The FASTEST stock bore/stroke LTR's are the factory bikes. which are......

ding ding ding, fuel injected!

i know walsh does gibson stuff.... i was talkin about cody grant that rides for media allstars.... him and aaron meyer have had some problems this year

440ex2001
07-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Simplicity is king when you are racing. Carbs are simple. Fuel-Injection is comlex. I run my quad of pure electricity and foot pedals.

ATP Racing
07-30-2008, 03:16 PM
Hello All,
This topic was brought to my attention, so I figured I would clear up all the questions.

As far as I am aware, I am the engine builder for the Media Team.

We had a couple of failures early in the season that after further testing and analizing were directly linked to the carburetor. Now there have been many engine failures from all the builders this season and that is to be expected. We are all pushing the limits of these engines and anything can go wrong at any given time that might have no fault to the builder at all. We did something that we have never done historicaly with these carbed LTR's and that was run them without testing them in the off season. This is not a common practice for ATP, but we decided to run with it because of the initial benefits that we saw.

Now, that being said, there was more than one reason for the failure. The part that had failed were the exhaust buckets in the 08 model years. They are not as strong as they are in the earlier models. We found the actual cause of the problem after losing an 06/07 bucket a few races later.These engine failures cost us a cylinder head and camshaft only. They were not complete engine failures.

The problem is that when you install a carb on the LTR, they will float the exhaust valves. This is due to the fact that with the carburetor the engine revs dramatically faster than with the FI.
We build our engines with "A LOT" of piston to valve clearence and when we first had the problems, ATP nor our suppliers could believe this was even possible given the clearences that we run.

We have since corrected "ALL" the issues that caused the problems as well as the starting issues that we were having in the beginning. Had this set up been tested in pre-season, all of this would have been found prior to the races and/or public appearances of the carbed LTR's.

As for power, we are making the same power with FI as with the Carb. I have a pretty extensive background with FI so we really had no problem extracting power from the fuel injection.

We are offering an extensive carb kit for the LTR as well.

I would be more than happy to answer any questions you all may have.

Thanks,
Mike
ATP Racing Engines

HellaMoney
07-31-2008, 08:37 PM
just tell me why switch to carb. the efi is what makes the ltr the ltr

Quadfun400ex
07-31-2008, 10:25 PM
i agree if you want something carberated just buy a yamaha or honda.....and about the whole rev-limiter thing you guys were arguing about.....i believe the revlimiter on the ltr is run by how much fuel is being delivered......on hondas and yamahas......they are run by the ignition......not positive but i believe thats how it is.....

ATP Racing
08-01-2008, 05:51 AM
Two reasons to consider for the switch.

No sensor or fuel system failures.

Faster throttle response.

I really have no preference on FI or Carb, they both work well for us.

Mike

hatfield44
08-01-2008, 02:27 PM
how much weight would just switching to the carb shave off?

ltrracer
08-01-2008, 09:36 PM
k there must only be one reason to switch to carbs cuz better thrrottle response is not one of them, FI has way better throttle response, thats one trait of FI

FHKracingZ
08-02-2008, 11:40 AM
A stock LTR with fox shocks and wheels/tires to a full race bike with walsh components and kickstart, carb is around 40 pounds worth of difference....

ATP Racing
08-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by ltrracer
k there must only be one reason to switch to carbs cuz better thrrottle response is not one of them, FI has way better throttle response, thats one trait of FI

Not going to enguage in a pissing match here, but I have all the dyno testing results to prove it.

It doesn't matter to me eaither way FI or Carb, they both work fine for me.

Mike

diangelo#67
08-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by ATP Racing
Not going to enguage in a pissing match here, but I have all the dyno testing results to prove it.

It doesn't matter to me eaither way FI or Carb, they both work fine for me.

Mike
don't second guess mike he has the holeshots and wins to prove it

diangelo#67
08-02-2008, 12:22 PM
if you saw cody grant,meyer boy and neil mcgraths bike run you wouldn't have even said those words

witech
08-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Please post comprehensive dyno charts in the dyno section of the forums . We would need time and engine speed scales with the torque curves of course.

ATP Racing
08-02-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm sorry but ATP is not currently an advertiser on this site nor will ATP try and sell products on this site untill we become an advertiser. Doing so would not be courtious to the other site sponsors.

Mike
ATP Racing Engines

JRP
08-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Hey mike, will you be at LL?
I think i saw you at the highpoint national walking around with an ATP shirt on but i wasn't to sure. If you see a white LTR, with walsh/fox on the front and everything else stock, thats me, haha. Ill be in 450B, 4stroke, and maybe prod/16-24, not to sure which one!

ATP Racing
08-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Could have probably been me.

Anyone with an ATP shirt on can tell you where to find me or just look at the Pro Am gate.

Thanks,
Mike

diangelo#67
08-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by JRP
Hey mike, will you be at LL?
I think i saw you at the highpoint national walking around with an ATP shirt on but i wasn't to sure. If you see a white LTR, with walsh/fox on the front and everything else stock, thats me, haha. Ill be in 450B, 4stroke, and maybe prod/16-24, not to sure which one!
jordan just ask me I'll introduce youto the lil guy:D

ALAMX37
08-02-2008, 09:05 PM
We appreciate your input Mike.
Unfortunately most people here will argue with a stop sign.

diangelo#67
08-02-2008, 10:46 PM
:D

miles Machine
08-17-2008, 07:43 PM
I was just wondering that rev limiter question myself how is this affected by the carb kit and how does the rev limiter work on the ltr.

diangelo#67
08-17-2008, 09:17 PM
everything is still there but the TPS and some other sensor's as well as the fuel pim, but 07/08 ltr's have to replace the cam cups cuz they split