PDA

View Full Version : new 400ex owner

jeepthing07
06-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Im new to sport quads just picked up a 2002 400ex. whats some good websites for these machines? im looking for cheap/easy mods im not really into cosmetic mods more functional like maybe making your own air scoops...

I also would like to find a writeup on rebuilding the motor/trans with pics i have a clymer manual just looking for more real world info. like what kind of specality tools is it going to take what tools can i get by without buying etc..

write ups on tightening the chain and changing the oil would be cool to. i never messed with dry sump oiling before.

so start posting links i dont even know where to begin

Rip_Tear
06-01-2008, 03:19 PM
You'll get tired of hearing it but there is a search feature on these forums and you can find links to almost anything on anything.

Everyone here is always willing to help people figure stuff out. As for tools you'll need, a full metric set of sockets and wrenches is about all you really need (you don't even need a full set but it can be helpful). Almost all the bolt/nuts are 8mm 10mm 12mm and 14mm, there are a few 17mm and others but mainly the others.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/search.php

jeepthing07
06-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
You'll get tired of hearing it but there is a search feature on these forums and you can find links to almost anything on anything.

Everyone here is always willing to help people figure stuff out. As for tools you'll need, a full metric set of sockets and wrenches is about all you really need (you don't even need a full set but it can be helpful). Almost all the bolt/nuts are 8mm 10mm 12mm and 14mm, there are a few 17mm and others but mainly the others.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/search.php

Im pulling the crankcase apart to replace the housing. it says i will need some specality honda tools to put it back together.

1. assembly collar # 07965-VM00100
2. assembly shaft # 07965-VM00200
3. threaded adapter # 07965-VM00300

i would just like to hear from people who have pulled one apart and which tools are truly necessary. I have been working on jeeps for a long time and alot of the speciality tools listed to work on them you can get by without. this is why im asking.

gcart2
06-01-2008, 04:52 PM
here is a really good right up on a 416 build.

(i went through like 10 pages to find this)

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=343741

Honda#4
06-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Also sense Gcart brought my thread up, when you get to the point of putting your clutch hub back on I bought a clutch hub holder from Magic Racing and it worked great sense its impossible to hold it to torque it down.

I'll be doing a write on my build pretty soon here also, getting all fluids and filters tomorrow.

If ya have any questions reguarding my thread shoot me a PM and ill discuss it more.

jeepthing07
06-01-2008, 08:53 PM
cool thanks for the info! i hope to tear into this engine in the next 2 weeks so im trying to read as much as i can on it before that time.

i have read about the head studs pulling the threads out on the jug. how common is this? can the studs be reused or are they a 1 time use only?

and something else i been wondering about is the clutch/parking brake lever. the cables all stretched out and the lever is flopping needs replaced... i know they sell block off plates so you can get rid of the cable brake right? so can i buy an after market clutch lever assembly that don't have the brake function on it? what would i do about the built in clutch safety switch?