PDA

View Full Version : Need info on Hatfield McCoy Trails!

Evader53
06-01-2008, 02:10 PM
My dad and I are looking to take a trip next week to the Hatfield McCoy trail system with our quads, but first have a few questions.

We both have 350cc Yamaha Warriors, and therefore dont enjoy too much of the rocky trails, but also dont mind it. We are intermediate riders, but my dad especially prefers smoother trails, but we also would like to ride trails which have great views.

So my questions are;
1.) Can you suggest a good over-all area for us to ride in... We've been hearing much about the Gilbert area (which is the area we are tentitavely planning on for now). We would like an area where riding the roads is legal and also somewhere where we could feel safe leaving our quads on our trailer which is open.

2.) I am only 17 and riding the 350cc warrior and I do not have a safety class, will this prevent me from riding?

3.) Do you have to buy the permits online, or is there an office where we can buy our permits once we get down there?

4.) What is everyone's opinion on the Gilbert area & the Browning Fork trails? Enough to keep us busy for 2 full days of riding?

Thanks

squadie
06-01-2008, 07:45 PM
1. Gilbert is one end of the Rockhouse/Browning Fork trail. It's has some rough/rocky spots and was whooped out on the Man end on our trip last month. Probably the most ridden trail. Pinnacle Creek is easy riding and most folks say it is the more scenic trail; it's a good choice. Bear Wallow/Dingess Rum is my favorite. It is challenging and has a lot of variety. Went to the new Indian Ridge and Buffalo Mountain trails once. Both were nice, but out away from the other trails. Waterways is too easy.

2. Don't think there's an age issue over 16. Check out their website at www.trailsheaven.com

3. You can buy your trail permit at any trailhead, or at many businesses in town. $47 covers a permit that's good for the calendar year for out-of-staters.

4. We never ride the same trail system twice in one trip. It only takes a few hours to go from Gilbert to Man on the trail. You could take alternate routes to make it last two days, but I would recommend you do a different trail system each day. Gilbert is nice, but we prefer to stay in Man.

Have fun.

LT250_JOE
06-03-2008, 08:01 PM
You have to make sure your quad is registered , insured(in your home state) and you have a drivers license if you take to the streets.

Awesome place to ride, I'm heading there in July for 4 days!

cataway
06-05-2008, 03:50 AM
my self i will be down there on the 20th-23ed for a trail fest that
fishers ATV it putting on ,love that place ,thing is its like 10 hours of road time just to get there.
you do want to have insurance ,the big deal is that your home state will fall on you for being an uninsured driver, then your rates go sky high.
myself i have never had a problem with any of the locol cops,the only ones that may give a care are the state cops,so stay off major roads. still i know of guys that have riden the blacktop from
man to gilbert ,pass a cop and get nothing more than a wave from them.
becarefull blacktop can suck on the curves.

exrider44
06-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Bring extra tires. Everyone I was with got a flat, or side wall got cut. That was with 4 ply tires on race bikes. My one buddy had brand new 6 ply tires on his 4X4 and he lost two tires. Good place to ride though people are super nice

Les Davis
06-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Evader53 I've been down about 6-7 times now and the place is a blast! My best advice is be careful because the cliffs are steep and the on coming traffic will sneak out from the blind corners. We ride sport bikes and would run wide open through the trails. We would try to go during the week so there was less riders on the trail systems. Another good investment would be a 20 dollar rain suit from Wal-Mart if they've had rain or expect rain.

1. We typically ride the Rockhouse/Browning Fork trail from Gilbert to Man and then back. It's got allot for all skill levels. Cool thing is being able to ride into town on the roads, get gas, lunch and head back. I've ridden Pinnacle and like the other member said....it's scenic. If you have sport bikes, you'll be bored in about 2 hours or less. I would also recommend Bear Wallow. It's about a 50-60 minute drive from Gilbert but worth the drive for a day of riding. Main thing about riding on the roads in these towns is to "respect". Obey the speed limits strictly, no wheelies or hot dogging, and no over revving the engine to let everyone know you have a loud exhaust (ok I'm guilty of that one:D ) We've ridden the road back from Gilbert to Man due to darkness on the trails or repairs for flat tires. If you get caught out of town limits, just have a good excuse ready just in case. The cops are pretty cool about riding on the roads if you use common sense.

Also, some of the best trails at Hatfields are not actually the main trail system. It''s the trails the locals use and ride on. The locals will take you out on a guided tour for a small fee for the day.

3. You can buy permits online, local 7 eleven or ATV shops in town.

4. I think you could definetly keep yourself occupied on Browning Fork for 2 days especially if it's your first trip down to Hatfields. Gilbert and Man also have ATV shops that stock allot of parts if you break anything so this is another advantage to riding there. We have gotten flat tires coming over from Man and had to buy tires and or brakes in Gilbert in order to get back to Man. Both of these shops will go out of there way to help you (Firepit in Man and Mountaineer Motorsports in Gilbert)

Have fun and let us know how the trip went!