PDA

View Full Version : smashed piston ring lands

maxamillion
06-01-2008, 08:21 AM
well my 416 decided to loose compression during a race and blew a bunch of oil out the crankcase breather. I did a compression test and got 120 psi. so I tore it down and noticed the JE piston ring lands were bent around all the rings which smashed the rings and prevented them from being able to rotate freely. The rest of the piston looks fine except the wrist pin was a PITA to get out I had to tap it out with a socket.

The top of the cylinder sleeve also has a hair line crack about a half inch long. The 1 layer steel head gasket w/ copper spray appeared to be leaking compression everywhere.

Believe or not the thing still ran but blew white smoke everywhere. When I took it apart oil was sitting in the valve pockets of the piston. Im wondering if it hydrolocked (tried to compress the oil/liquid) and smashed the ring lands. Im trying to figure out what order all this stuff happened in. Ever hear of this happening?

Details : 10.8:1 JE 416 piston. 1 layer steel headgasket w/ copper spray. liquid base gasket. 91 premium pump. 2 hours on fresh bore and piston.

ohsobad_chevy
06-01-2008, 09:03 AM
GHAAAAAY!!!!! :ermm: