PDA

View Full Version : Can someone Help me out!!!!!

atvmbaca
11-29-2002, 05:50 PM
I dont now quite how to explain this but I will try to make some sence out of it, I usualy ride trails and some desert riding and Iam looking for more bottom end and some more tourque, I know If I use the 14t sprocket I would probabbly gain the power I need But I will lose some top end, now if I just added a High comp piston with the stock bore and stock 400EX cam would I achieve the same results as using the 14t front sprocket but not have lost any top end because I would have the stock 15t sprocket on. The only reason I dont want to change the cam is because I dont want to lose any bottom end, I have heard if you go to a more aggressive cam you will lose some bottom end, keep in mind I just want to add a little more torque and some more bottom to mid power whithout saqurficing the top end, has any one tried this and is it worth it just to add a high comp piston with stock cam, I currently have a yoshi pipe and a modded air box sorry about this post for being so long, I just want too make sure I am doing the right thing for adding more torque and bottom end. Please resond If you cn help me out I would appriciate it. ATVMBACA.

4TraxRider
11-29-2002, 05:54 PM
from what i've heard, the hotcams stage 1 cam gives an increase in bottom and lower mid. But im not totally sure.

atvmbaca
11-29-2002, 06:21 PM
Thanks for your reply, any one else have any info on on just going to a high comp piston and using the stock cam to try and achieve the same results as using a 14t front sprocket but without losing top end. Will I be able to get these results If I use the 15t front sprocket and just a high com piston, but stock cam. What happens if I use the stock cam do I gain any thing or do I need to chang it I know it seems everybody seems to chang it but I just want to gain on what I have already no lose any bottom end or tourque, I guess I am just rambleing now sorry!

methyman
11-29-2002, 06:33 PM
I installed a FCR39 with my stock motor with Curtis Sparks pipe and woke the bottom end up tremendously, plus it gave the bike all around power. If you can leave you motor stock, just get a FCR39 with a good pipe, good air filter and rejet your bike. Try not to go into the motor if you dont have to. Just my opinion.

BKVIEW4U
11-29-2002, 06:37 PM
sounds to me like you just need to do the hi comp. piston

atvmbaca
11-29-2002, 07:09 PM
Cool!!!

jb400exxx
11-29-2002, 07:55 PM
get an edilbrock or the 39fcr carborator.

Claas900
11-29-2002, 08:15 PM
..Hi,I thought a fcr39mm was for more top-end,and a stock carb hard more bottom end??A Piston will help out a lot tho...as far as a cam,i thought most the time it is for top end,but i dont see why a smaller one wouldnt help out...and for a pipe,sparks all the way..Hope this Helps

R-Crazy
11-29-2002, 08:19 PM
well, if ya really want ot wake the beast up all around for the least amount of $$$, I would
1. Pipe (Sparks or Trinity)
2. Air Fliter (K&N or UNI)
3. Re-jet
4. Carb (FRC39)
5. XR400 cam
6. High Comp. piston (JE or Wiseco)
7. Port & Polish (Sparks or Trinity)
8. After all that, go 4 some chassis work

dave

atvmbaca
11-30-2002, 12:24 AM
Thanks all!!!! I have the pipe and already and rejetted it already so I guess I am almost their with the mods I want.

atvmbaca
11-30-2002, 10:41 AM
Has anyone just bumped their compression up and used their stock cam, how did it perform?:

R-Crazy
11-30-2002, 12:28 PM
i read in ATV sport by CT that you should NEVER bump up compression w/o a cam and vise versa, unless w/ the dales and even the Z, since the compression is alreay up there.

dave

atvmbaca
11-30-2002, 01:04 PM
why?

Wheelie
11-30-2002, 01:19 PM
IMO--There is nothing wrong with using the stock cam with a high comp. stock bore piston. If you want to try it, go ahead, you will find out how it performs in the near future.

BTW---Installing a high comp. piston only, w/no other engine work(cam, porting, etc.) is going to bump up the power from bottom to top. You will gain more low end torque/horsepower, and the machine will make a bit more power on the top end as well.

Good Luck!!

atvmbaca
11-30-2002, 04:26 PM
Thanks, Wheelie

R-Crazy
12-01-2002, 12:00 PM
i read it in Oct. ATV Sport. I dont know why.

dave