PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions On Brands To Consider ...

hauschild
05-31-2008, 12:10 PM
Guys,

I'm nearing the ripe old age of 40, so if you do the math, I was lucky to be in my teen's in the early-to-mid 1980's - when 3-wheelers were thriving and 4-wheelers were just coming onto the scene. Man, what a great time to have been a youth! Well, enough with the chivalry ...

Anyhow, I grew up on a farm so I was into the scene big-time. Since I graduated high school, I went from the service into college and for the past 10 years working non-stop in Chicago. I rarely go back up North anymore, although I do own a Honda 4x4 that I keep at Mom-n-Dad's up yonder.

A portion of my question is that I'm now pretty much clueless about the current crop of 4-wheelers in terms of all the proprietary brands I am seeing that I've never heard of, as well as the usual suspects and the reliability factors of all makes. I got a new TRX200 in 1983 that I literally rode day in an day out until 1987, when my younger brother took over. I believe the machine was sold to a neighbor and still runs! Are the mechanicals still very much the same in these mini-atv's, or has planned obsolecense taken root?

Now, I've got a nephew hitting 4 years old that I'd like to soon consider getting him a little mini-machine. He lives close to my parents, so he's always on the farm and my Dad has hundreds of acres to roam. I have a personal position that I feel getting kids involved early with mechanicals really entices their problem-solving skills later in life - just a theory. Is 4 years old too young? Should I let him be 4 and let him go thru the normal interation of getting a bicycle and learning how to ride that, and then slowly making the transition? Anybody understand where I'm coming from? I'm a stickler when it comes to protocol and I want to be the most efficient uncle I can be - lol.

So, any information on this and maybe some ideas about which models offer the most bang for the buck in terms of performance versus reliability - the standard fare.

Thanks guys!

forgiven
05-31-2008, 12:35 PM
How big is he at 4? I am always a believer that if you can get him on say a crf 50, a lot of that translates to 4 wheels if he is too small for the current crop of faster 50's.

I had a 5 year old on a 50 of mine the other day and I think he was a tad small but it really depends on the kid. The KFX/Predator/LT etc. are about the right size but are outgrown in a few rides. They are narrow and tippy as well which I consider a saftey concern to be sure. There is alway the option of building taller pegs for nerf bars etc. that can be done on a bigger 50 which helps and they are wider and more stable but it really comes down to comfort level.

A DRR for example is physically and motor wise A LOT more. Depending on how far you live from Chicago I have DRR's here you could have your boy sit on/ride depending on what route you decide on. We are in Ottawa by the way. It is a tough age/size and I am not sure there is too much in between those two quads.

dwhst9
05-31-2008, 02:13 PM
Our kids started on a Powerwheels quad at age 2, then moved onto our Suzuki Lt50 at age 3-3.5. My oldest son (7) is riding a Scrambler 90 now.