PDA

View Full Version : 300ex trying to tighten chain

sneekypete
05-31-2008, 10:35 AM
Ok I loosened the allen bolts on the rear axle and tried to turn the carrier and it won't turn either way up or down. I have never tightened a chain before but I don't think it is something I am doing wrong. Anyone have any ideas? Is there a specific tool to turn the carrier I am scared to turn too hard and crack it.

John451
05-31-2008, 12:30 PM
If it has circle holes, find an alan wrench that fits in the hole so it won't wobble too much, its usually the same one that the alan bolts are... Put it in the hole and step on it. If it has slots put a screw driver in it and either push down or step on it or pull up. I've had them stuck enough where i could lift the whole quad up before anything broke, the only thing that usually brakes is the screwdriver or a bent alan wrench.

wilkin250r
05-31-2008, 12:40 PM
Okay, here (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=307014) is a thread about specific instructions to adjust your carrier. It's originally written for a 250r, but the adjustments are basically the same on the 300EX.

Try here (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=290481) for a tips on a stubborn carrier, and a cheap tool to make adjustment easier. In this thread, there were a few suggestions on loosening (or better yet, removing) ALL bolts anywhere near the carrier, including the skidplate mounting bolts and the center bolt on the back. It's possible that one of them is sticking in too far and holding the carrier in place and not allowing it to move.

sneekypete
05-31-2008, 01:13 PM
well i think i cracked it near the axle where the slot is at where can i get a new one how hard is it to change? it was stuck i tried to turn it both ways and it would turn about 1/4" each way and that was it.

fmftrx300ex
06-02-2008, 02:48 PM
well when i cracked mine it was not to hard to change the only hard thing was the axlenut, get a clymer book it makes it really easy.

MTDman11
06-02-2008, 04:43 PM
when the alan wrench is in use a 12 mm wrench (what i use , size doesnt matter) and use that for leverage on the alan wrench that is what i do. but mine isnt hard, just easier.

John451
06-17-2008, 02:24 PM
So are you looking to tighen it or replace it now?

rooster300ex
06-17-2008, 10:51 PM
Whoever told you to use a screw driver on a stock 300ex carrier is the one to blame for cracking it. Use big channel locks.:p