PDA

View Full Version : What does detonation sound like?

tg413
05-31-2008, 09:37 AM
Does detonation sound like a rod knock?Here's the situtation.......86 bottom, long rod stroker, Mid port,br8es plug, bike was running great (less than 15hrs on top) .Over the winter i changed out the pipe from a bills pipe to a Hetrick racing pipe that i bought on here..I went to ride it recently and the thing sounds like it has a BAD rod knock so to say, haven't pin pointed exactly where its coming from..The noise is only at idle, it does not get louder as you rev it (or i just can't hear it anymore)...The motor pulls soooo strong on the bottom but just seems to bog on the mid -top i mean if i stay in it it will eventually rev up but it just falls on its face.....I am running c12 fuel fuel but i also bought it from a store that was going out of business, Klotz supertechniplate oil.........I know i have to start messing with the jets and I am going to check the counterbalancer after i do the regular things first..Just looking to see if anyone had any similar experience's ???????
Thanks

Motofool250r
05-31-2008, 10:17 AM
pull the plug and see what it looks like.

detonation can sound like rod knock sometimes also can sound like clicking.

tg413
05-31-2008, 03:18 PM
I gotta pick up a new plug, the one thats in there is a nice cocoa brown, but it's been there since before the problem started...

tg413
05-31-2008, 08:28 PM
Basically the only thing that has changed is the Pipe.....It didnt make the noise before the pipe, but first time i fire it up with the new pipe the sound is there....Maybe the pipe is too small for the porting ? Anyone even know about hetrick pipes?I'm thinking its a low-mid pipe because i can give it a 1/4th throttle and it will pull the wheels off the ground 1st through 3rd no problem...Will these same symptoms happen if you have a hi end port and a low end pipe??
Just running through some stuff thats on my mind...
Thanks guys