PDA

View Full Version : best bang for the buck.......?

ktm300ex
05-30-2008, 10:06 PM
Ok I just bought a 300ex almost stock, the only mod is a hmf pipe. and I wanted to know what else I could do make it a lil faster. I dont want to sink a ton of money in it.....(yet).

so what the best bang for the buck?
thanks

01exrider 281
05-30-2008, 10:56 PM
14 tooth front spocket with make it a good deal faster. although it may be a bit too much with those stock tires.

Tyler

ktm300ex
05-31-2008, 07:14 PM
might be a stupid question, but do I need a shorter chain with a new sprocket? if so what size? or can I just take links out of mine?

thanks for the help

sl2fast
05-31-2008, 08:50 PM
wouldnt putting a 14 tooth sprocket on make for top speed on the 300 since stock is 13 right? a 12 tooth would make for a lot more acceleration and torque.

NV300ex
05-31-2008, 11:42 PM
i like to know that also.. and the fact if you do change to a 14 tooth can u keep the stock chain or no?

wouldnt putting a 14 tooth sprocket on make for top speed on the 300 since stock is 13 right? a 12 tooth would make for a lot more acceleration and torque.

JohnT_98300EX
06-01-2008, 06:52 AM
With a stock chain you should have no problem fitting a 14 tooth front. How well you can pull it will depend on the size and weight of your tires, your mods if any,etc.
When I got mine it was stock and had 14 - 38 gearing. It pulled it decent with 22x11x9 rear tires.

AGPallstar109
06-01-2008, 07:32 AM
here is the answer to your question, loosen all 4 allan key bolts on the back of your swingamr, and then in between your sprocket and swingarm there is 4 holes that look like you could put a screw driver ion, well if you move that foward it moves your bearing carrier forward and by doing that it gives you more slack in your chain, so now you put on the 14 tooth sprocket, then you pull the carrier back until the chain is tight, but not too tight, because there is suppose to be a half inch to an inch of play in your chain when your sitting on it so tightening it then sit on the bike and have a friend measure the chain play then tighten the allan key bolts and your done,

but imo dont put a 14 tooth sprocket on, because all it is going o do is take away acceleration and torque to give you a change in top end that will be some miniscule you wont even notice it , so if you want power for the least amount of money, put a xr 250 carbuerator on which will increase gas flow and power amazingly, and along with that put a full pipe on, a filter aftermarket whatever you perfer, and put some holes in the airbox for more airflow, plus get some really good tires with great traction and you will notice a great change in power and traction

NV300ex
06-01-2008, 11:10 AM
comparsion between the xr250 n the 400ex carb for a relatively stock 300ex , which carb would be more responsive n better on the bike? seems like from searchin the 400ex carb is when u had done mods to the engine, i have no clue what it would do with a stock motor and bigger header pipe n exhaust. whereas im having a hard time findin info on the xr 250 carb mod on a 300ex.. any info on that. like will it adapt to the 300ex hose?

01exrider 281
06-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by AGPallstar109
here is the answer to your question, loosen all 4 allan key bolts on the back of your swingamr, and then in between your sprocket and swingarm there is 4 holes that look like you could put a screw driver ion, well if you move that foward it moves your bearing carrier forward and by doing that it gives you more slack in your chain, so now you put on the 14 tooth sprocket, then you pull the carrier back until the chain is tight, but not too tight, because there is suppose to be a half inch to an inch of play in your chain when your sitting on it so tightening it then sit on the bike and have a friend measure the chain play then tighten the allan key bolts and your done,

but imo dont put a 14 tooth sprocket on, because all it is going o do is take away acceleration and torque to give you a change in top end that will be some miniscule you wont even notice it , so if you want power for the least amount of money, put a xr 250 carbuerator on which will increase gas flow and power amazingly, and along with that put a full pipe on, a filter aftermarket whatever you perfer, and put some holes in the airbox for more airflow, plus get some really good tires with great traction and you will notice a great change in power and traction

Ok, putting on a 14 tooth front sprocket will take away your bottom end. I did this to mine because I am running 18's so i needed the top end back. I would get some Maxxis Razor's 20-11-9's, a full pipe, jet it accordingly, and a good filter. I am not sure about the carb swap never read up about it. But with a pipe, jet kit, filter and tires that will deffinatly wake it up.

Tyler

ktm300ex
06-01-2008, 07:14 PM
so how about a 13 or 12 tooth front sprocket? would that help bottom end? or would it take away from top end to much

01exrider 281
06-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Does your quad have stock gearing? A 13 tooth is stock for the front. I would not got to a 12 that will kill your top end. Also, what kind of riding are you doing?

ktm300ex
06-01-2008, 11:18 PM
I do different types of riding. but mostly trail or I guess "racing" around with friends. Im just looking for a good all around quad

thanks

SET THE STAGE
06-02-2008, 12:51 PM
you'd enjoy your quad a great deal more with slightly smaller tires. even some nice 20" tires.

01exrider 281
06-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Yes. I would get a set of Maxxis Razor 2's. That will make the quad handle so much better and ride alot better. If you go 1 tooth on the front sprocket it is the same as going 3 teeth in the rear. When I first bought my quad it had a E-Series full pipe, jet kit, k&n filter. and some other non performance mods. Until i changed tire size I kept the sprockets the same but, I don't run it in fields or spots where I am topped out.

cmaxx
06-04-2008, 07:18 AM
put a nice cam in it and a full pipe.that will make it run nice.but i i would go with 20 and 18 tires.im running a 13 and 36 with 18" and it runs great.

JohnT_98300EX
06-05-2008, 04:33 AM
I have to agree with the smaller tire idea. I had 22x11x9's on mine and went to 20x10x9 's. I went from 13 x 38 gearing to 14 x 38 to get back most of my top end. It still pulls quicker turning the smaller (lighter) rubber. And the hanling improvment is sweet. I am going to try a 37 tooth rear next just to play with gearing.