PDA

View Full Version : elka shocks

yfzrider310
05-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Ok this weekend I am buying some used elka racing stlye shocks which are standard travel and set up for wider a-arms. What I was wondering is how long do these shocks last and how long should I wait to get them serviced. There about 3 years old and they just got serviced this winter. So is there anything I should be worrying about? How much better are these things than the stock shocks with rebuilds? Just would like to know when I spend 400 plus on shocks. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-John

04TRX400EX
05-30-2008, 09:42 PM
Shocks themselves will last for a long time. The oil needs to be changed every so often and the seals must be checked and replaced if needed. Most people say that shocks need to be serviced/rebuilt once a year but I think a lot of it depends on how much and how hard you ride. I can see rebuilding MX shocks more often due to the forces they endure but a recreational rider can very easily go two years or more.

I do not think you have much to worry about if the shocks look clean. The winter service means you should be trouble-free for a while. As for an improvement over stock rebuilds - it depends. The main determinant of shock performance is the setup - is the shock valved correctly for your weight and riding style? I have heard great things about a properly setup stock rebuild for recreational and XC riding but a true aftermarket shock will likely have an advantage when it comes to MX. You also said they are valved for wider a-arms; can we assume you are running the same length arms? Also important.

yfzrider310
05-30-2008, 11:14 PM
Yea I run the same length a-arms and I assume I will get big enough to were the shocks are tuned for me. Right now there set up for a 180 pound rider so I think I could soften up the springs and get them tuned perfect for me. I do a lot of jumping and my stock shocks are screwing up my back so I need something that will take the cushion.