PDA

View Full Version : electrical issues

1trik88
05-30-2008, 06:42 PM
any quick tips to what the problem could be?

searched but really found nothing i was looking for specifically

started quad on like monday and go to start it today for a quick ride before heading out to Wambaw tomorrow and it will not start.. i am getting NO SPARK at all!!!

any quick tips??

is the coil compatible to any other coils out there??

thanks

Bryan

Iliketogofast
05-30-2008, 06:59 PM
Same issue here. Hopefully you will find an answer that will help me out as well.

By the way, you double posted. To delete your thread go into one of them and click the edit button at the bottom of your first post, then click the delete box at the top.

wilkin250r
05-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Fixed the double post, I deleted the other one.

Have you done any testing, done any resistance measurements on your system?

Iliketogofast
05-30-2008, 08:30 PM
I don't want to hijack the thread but maybe we can both get help here.

Wilkin, I've tested the resistance on everything with the results all good, so I'm pretty stumped.

wilkin250r
05-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Most of the components in your electrical system are pretty simple. For the most part, they are just coils of wire. This includes the ignition coil, the stator, and the pulse generator, all just coils of wire in different configurations. Not too much can go wrong. Either the wire can break (open), or it can short together. Either will show up in a resistance test. If the resistance tests are all within spec, then the coils are in good shape. Pretty simple, huh?

So if all coils of wire are good, there are only a few other possibilities. Either you have a bad connection somewhere, or the pulse generator is too far from the flywheel, or the CDI is bad.

Are you sure that all your resistance measurements are accurate?

Iliketogofast
05-31-2008, 07:30 AM
Everything was in spec according to Beerock's writeup on how to check your electrical system.

I don't think it's the CDI, because I have two that I was testing with and both of them worked, then all of a sudden I just stopped getting spark after turning it off.

I have ordered a new harness and a new coil, not because my coil tested bad but because I trimmed it back as someone mentioned in my other thread and now it is too short. So I guess the only other possibility is that the pulse generator is too far from the flywheel. Do you have any idea of a measurement on what that is supposed to be? I would imagine you take the measurement when the little bump on the flywheel is right up to the pulse generator?

Also, to the OP:

If you go through Beerocks writeup above this post in the stickies, you will find a list of what resistance all of your electrical components should be. If they are all good, you are in the same boat as me. If one of them is bad, you will know what your problem is.

1trik88
06-01-2008, 12:59 PM
thanks.

Iliketogofast
06-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Did you get it running OP? What was the problem?

1trik88
06-02-2008, 05:21 AM
i have not finisihed testing all the resistances yet.. maybe later this afternoon...

will keep you updated

thanks,
Bryan

stever250r
06-02-2008, 06:39 AM
I have been having the same issue with mine lately and this is what I have found.

I was also not getting any spark,,,, or such a weak spark that you could not see it and it would not ignite the fuel on the plug.

I pulled the stator cover off.... condensation had built up behind the cover. I pulled the flywheel to check and make sure that I had not sheared the woodruff key and somehow jumped timing.

I noticed that all of the magneto pickups were rusted from the condensation so I sanded them lightly to clean all of the rust.

I reinstalled the flywheel... kicked it over and it fired right up.

I went to the track rode for 30 min or so.... shut down to let the bike cool. Next time I tried to go out...it wouldnt start.

I checked for spark again.. but could not see it.

Had a buddy pull me and it started right up.

Im thinking my spark is so weak that kicking it over on a cool engine will not ignite the fuel. If it is pulled at a higher RPM then it can produce enough spark to start. As long as I maintain operating temperature I can kick start it... .if it cools off... .forget it.

Check your flywheel and magneto pick ups....

Im going to change my stator and CDI.

Motofool250r
06-02-2008, 11:14 AM
i had that problem this year on my bike had to sand all the pickups and my ground connection failed. then my coil fell apart.

1trik88
06-02-2008, 03:04 PM
ohm check results:

coil: .3-.4 (spec .1-.3) already ordered one so will replace it anyways.

secondary coil: 9.6K (spec 7-11K)

secondary coil directly where the cap screws in: 4.44K (spec 3-5K)

stator: nothing happened at all (no beep no resistance at all) going to clean it in a bit

pulse generator: 142 (spec 50-200)

now going to clean the stator like others in this thread have mentioned..

thanks
Bryan

Motofool250r
06-02-2008, 04:29 PM
my engine builder had mentioned a rash of dead stators in the last year

1trik88
06-12-2008, 04:37 PM
cleaned the stator finally.. after getting it off... and upon checking the ohms i got 1.80 when the multimeter was set on 2M???? what the hell does that mean?? do they go bad just like that??

anyhow what is next for me???

new stator??

thanks...

Bryan

1trik88
06-13-2008, 05:01 AM
anyone?? should i just replace the dang thing???

thanks,
Bryan

Aceman
06-13-2008, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by 1trik88
cleaned the stator finally.. after getting it off... and upon checking the ohms i got 1.80 when the multimeter was set on 2M???? what the hell does that mean?? do they go bad just like that??

anyhow what is next for me???

new stator??

thanks...

Bryan

1,800,000 ohms. You're way over the service spec, it looks like you need a new stator.

1trik88
06-13-2008, 02:30 PM
i guess since i run no lights a 100watt stator is a-okay????

oem or Ricky Stator???

thanks
Bryan

Aceman
06-13-2008, 05:20 PM
OEM

Before you buy a new stator, have you given the old one a once over to check for anything obvious that might be causing the high resistance?

1trik88
06-14-2008, 05:00 AM
well i did... and nothing obvious jumped out at me.. thanks for the advice on OEM..

Bryan

wilkin250r
06-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Which part of the stator is testing bad?

The lighting coil shouldn't affect the spark at all. The lighting system and the ignition system are completely independent from each other.

1trik88
06-14-2008, 08:20 PM
what?? now, i am super confused!!!

thanks,
Bryan

Aceman
06-14-2008, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by beerock
check the stator, Standard : 50-250 ohm
(86-88 disconnect the black/red wire check the resistance from the blak/red wire to the ground)
(89 disconnect 2piece connector and check the resistance to the ground)

check the alternator lighting coil, Standard: 0.1-1.0 ohm
(86-88 disconnect the white/yellow wire from the stator
89 disconnect 2piece connector, check resistance between white/yellow and ground)

Replace any of these components if they do not measure in specifications

Have you been following Beerock's electrical sticky?

There's an ignition coil and a lighting coil in the stator. I'd don't have a manual in front of me to verify the wiring but Beerock's instructions above should explain it well enough. You're testing from the blk/red wire to ground, correct?

1trik88
06-15-2008, 05:10 AM
THANKS FOR THE REPLY..

YES SIR I AM CHECKING FROM THE BLACK/RED TO A GROUND....

BRYAN