View Full Version : Save Gas!!!

Benjithx
05-30-2008, 06:20 PM
I don't condone doing this, but thought you guys might find it interesting.

I drive a 04 BMW M3 and when I am taking it easy, trying to maximize gas mileage, the very best I can get is about 27mpg (freeway)

The other day I had to drive about 50 miles or so to pick up Project Black's pipe from Performance Coating. On my way down I decided to try the Mythbusters proven drafting technique. I found an 18 wheeler and followed him on the freeway pretty close. Not crazy close just close enough to probably get a ticket. There was one point where he was trying to shake me off for some reason but I stayed behind and was rewarded with an impressive 33mpg!!!

I was floored how well it worked and was happy to save the gas at $4.29 a gallon (M3 only drinks the pricey sh**)

Once again, this was only a test and please don't try it because it is unsafe and not worth it in the long run.

Cheers everyone and have a great and safe weekend

Black R/T
05-30-2008, 06:58 PM
i do that all the time in my truck. at 70mph it gets me from about 14mpg to around 17-18mpg, the closer the better, hehe.

oh, and at highway speeds, the tailgate thing is bullish, doesnt help at all.

when i nail the throttle at 70, i can make the mpg gauge go down to 3, haha.

bulkdriverlp
05-30-2008, 10:14 PM
being a former truck driver, that is prolly the dumbest thing you can do when driving. good job. your bmw will fit right under the trailer and take your head off.

05-31-2008, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by bulkdriverlp
being a former truck driver, that is prolly the dumbest thing you can do when driving. good job. your bmw will fit right under the trailer and take your head off.

my88r
05-31-2008, 12:05 AM
:rolleyes:

Benjithx
05-31-2008, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Benjithx
I don't condone doing this,...

Once again, this was only a test and please don't try it because it is unsafe and not worth it in the long run.

Cheers everyone and have a great and safe weekend

:macho

05-31-2008, 01:30 AM
Whats the point of it? Save 3 gala gas and then he has to slow down and you crush your bumper hood and radiator?

Robin Hood
05-31-2008, 01:40 AM
I tried it out a while back and yes it does work, but it is a really stupid idea just to save a little gas. You have no idea what's going on in front of that truck and god forbid he had to lock up the brakes.

Might wanna look into the 09 Jetti TDI if you want better gas mileage. 60Mpg :D

Benjithx
05-31-2008, 02:53 AM
Guys, Seriously!

I was not much closer than if you were just traveling behind a big rig.

We hit traffic and he stopped quickly a couple times and I had plenty of room to slow down and even stop.

I found it interesting how well it worked and thought I would share. For all of you who were in the car with me that day and know all the circumstances, feel free to make harsh comments about me losing my head. If not...

MX MaNiAc 06
05-31-2008, 07:46 AM
Im sure a BMW M3 stops faster than an 18 wheeler.. :rolleyes:

Nice quad btw.. i voted u qotm

300ex mxracer
05-31-2008, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06

Thats what i was thinking.

ALAMX37
05-31-2008, 08:50 AM
I use to travel 45 min Interstate every morning to work and used this as much as I could. My average MPG went from 21.5 to 25. I haven't seen anyone *** end a Semi, have you?

Benjithx
05-31-2008, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06

Nice quad btw.. i voted u qotm

Thank you, I appreciate that!

Nausty
06-02-2008, 05:55 AM
yeah that trick kicks ***!

I did that one the way to texas to iowa on leave like the whole f'n way!

I always watch the truckers, they know all the tricks. If you see semis hauling *** your pretty much safe to do the same!

06-02-2008, 08:36 AM
we did that down to florida. from a truck getting 7-9MPG with pulling a 16foot enclosed we went up to 30ish riding on his ***.. But he got pissed and starts braking and moving. then Flashing us and beeping. ha

ALAMX37
06-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Ya and the big rigs always know where the popo is hiding. Always a bonus.

Pappy
06-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by ALAMX37
I haven't seen anyone *** end a Semi, have you?

I pulled 3 dead kids out of a car that rear ended a semi...does that count:ermm:

Mythbusters proved that you have to be within 2 feet of the semi to notice any difference. If you noticed better economy it was more then likely due to the fact you were not doing 85mph but below 65. I can get 3-7 more mpg just by slowing my travel speeds and its a bit safer then tailgating. I know I hated it when a car was under me and was a thought when I had to step on the brake.

Drive like you all have some sense.

<DRS>GPF
06-02-2008, 12:00 PM
sortof on the same subject.. long ago, in a galaxy far away, when my friends and first got our liscenses, we'd play this game(among others), seeing how close and how much nerve you had.

i cant believe we're alive from the crazy stunts we've pulled, what a rush..

playerz
06-02-2008, 12:43 PM
there were 2 kids i went to school with that thought the same thing and now they're dead at 19 years old. not worth saving a few bucks