PDA

View Full Version : Hot start ?

lordmik
05-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Ok, I'm new to the 450r scene, I used to race a yfz. I love the handling of the honda. My question is about the hot start lever. Mine doesn't work. The cable's froze or it's not moving in the carb. Is it really necessary? Has anyone eliminated it completely and with what results? Since mine doesn't work, I assume it's not necessary. I've never had any problems starting it hot. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Michael

05 450r

Scro
05-30-2008, 02:17 PM
The only thing it does is make it easier to start when the motor is warmed up.

They plunger of the hotstart is notorious for freezing into the carb. To fix it, you will need to get some penetrating oil and let it sit overnight. This will usually free it up.

Before I fixed it, I absolutely hated riding without it. It makes it so much easier to crank once it's hot. If you ride trails/XC, it is more important than it is if you are planning on MX.

lordmik
05-30-2008, 03:36 PM
I ride motocross only so I only have to start it when it's hot on the track if I stall. Not usually a prob. I've got the fcr carb on it that was done by baldwin racing before I bought the bike, but other than that, I don't know much about this bike. I had to put a crank in it right when I got it, so I know the motor's good, but the rest of it I'm still learning. :)

05-30-2008, 05:02 PM
I never use mine. It is probably frozen in the carb. If your valve are adjusted properly and your jetting is on, you don't need it.

D Bergstrom
05-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
If your valve are adjusted properly and your jetting is on, you don't need it.

You probably do not NEED it, but it sure makes it easier to start when hot. (Yes my vavles are in spec and it is jetted correctly.) If I stall when hot, with out the hot start, it is a two or three kick deal to get it running again. With the hot start, first kick everytime. If you are just riding, no big deal, but in a race, I would rather have it start right away. Every extra kick could be another position lost.

Doug

05-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Mine starts right up first kick when hot with no hot start.