PDA

View Full Version : Aircards??

Pappy
05-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Im so spent with this damn hughesnet satelite service that im ready to see if another system may giove more consistant results.

My friend Dave at raceday pix uses something along the lines of teh sprint aircard and he has good luck with it, but im not sure it wil work on my home pc as well ...heck i dont know much about all this stuff.

any help appreciated

tri5ron
05-29-2008, 11:55 PM
When I'm not on the wireless cable connection, I use a Verizon broadband card.
Although it obviously is not as fast as the cable, it has given me satisfactory and consistant performance.

Giz400ex
05-30-2008, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by tri5ron
When I'm not on the wireless cable connection, I use a Verizon broadband card.
Although it obviously is not as fast as the cable, it has given me satisfactory and consistant performance. Same here, the only prob I have with it is downloading vids which take a while. I'm spoiled by cable but :rolleyes: If you use the net alot with not alot of d-l vids, you'll love it:D

Phugg
05-30-2008, 07:31 AM
Pappy , I use Sprint for all my mobile geek needs. It is through work so I'm not sure on the cost. Its an ok system. I have been working for Comcast (and all the other co
s they gobbled up for 11 years now), so I am spoiled on Cable also.
Sprint works great , but is a tad slow in cpmparison. I work in the Central valley of CA , so reception is great until I get to some of the outlying areas , then it goes to poop.

NacsMXer
05-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Recently we moved to a more rural area that doesn't have any decent cable in the area yet (comcast, etc). I thought we were going to be SOL and have to go back to dial-up again, lol that would be the worst :mad:

We picked up a Verizon Wireless aircard from Best Buy and it's pretty darn decent to tell you the truth. I previously had Roadrunner cable at school and SBC DSL at my former home. It's a good bit slower than the Roadrunner but just a little slower than the DSL. It's not so slow that you'll tear your hair out in frustration though haha...I didn't have great expectations at first but it's pretty good overall.

It has a standard USB connection so I can use on on my desktop, laptop, whatever as I need. Very simple to set up.

Only thing that takes longer to load up are your high quality pics you load up on the site and Youtube videos, things like that. Sure is nice to have high speed internet if you take a laptop wherever you go too!

MOFO
05-31-2008, 04:25 AM
I've used quite a few aircards with my job and could give you some good suggestions.

The main factor is going to be "who has the best coverage in your area"?

You need to check a coverage map to ensure broadband coverage is available where you live. If not, it will use a standard connection which can be about as fast as dial up....

I'm currently using Verizon with GREAT results - I'd recommend this based on the various cards we have used at work.

tri5ron
05-31-2008, 07:41 AM
I am currently sitting at the starting line of the Baja 500 race, in Ensenada Mexico, using my verizon card.
Although it is a little slow down here, it is still working fine.

Most of the motorcycles have now left, and the Quads will start taking off in a few minutes.

We will be at our assigned post in a couple of hours in the town of Uruapan.

I'll try the connection a little later on today/tonight.

quad2xtreme
05-31-2008, 11:02 AM
Pappy,

I am at BPG today putting in a wireless access point. It uses Hughsnet. There is wireless access to the Dining Hall now. I haven't tested from the cabins yet.

One thing to know about the wireless cards from Verizon...if you don't have at least cell service, you aren't going to get data service. For example, you would be SOL at Birch Creek.

My Blackberry gets email from the 2nd floor of the rental cabin. I am guessing my Verizon card would work too but I didn't bring it along since I loaned it out to someone I work with who was heading on vacation for a week.

I have a Verizon wireless card as I usually use it at any hotels that charge for Internet access. It is adequate for surfing, downloading email, and some file transfers. I wouldn't want to download a movie with it. A 1 or 2 Mb picture would be fine.

CDALEMX301
05-31-2008, 07:18 PM
Hey, used to work at Best Buy and sold these things they aren't real popular around here so I didn't deal with them much....If you have ATT Cell service you get a discount on the ATT card I believe ten dollars less a month....Otherwise ATT is 79 and Verizon and Sprint are 69 at least this is how it used to be...Some one with one can verify... ATT is the slowest but as they upgrade there network to 3G it will supposidly be the fast....Second best is Verizon they say its a lil slower then DSL so it isn't horribly slow...The nice thing is Verizon gets amazing coverage....Sprint coverage sucks....around here anyway....Sprints card is by far the fastest from what I have been told never actually sold one because of the coverage around here...New England area.....Central MA....thats the basic rundown on an air card...and yes they will work on any computer whether it be laptop or computer as long as you have the card plugged into it...

Pappy
06-01-2008, 01:43 AM
Thanks for all the help.

I have been using the verizon on my laptop through the atvriders.com mega phone and did not know it was similiar to what I was inquiring about. Two nights in a row i've been uploading using it and it is as fat or faster then my satelite!