PDA

View Full Version : how are my shocks?

n811
05-29-2008, 09:09 PM
How do you know when you need the front shocks re-valved? I have put 450r shocks on my 400ex and have the GT Thunder spring kit on them. But, I feel that they are very stiff even with the screw turned all the way soft. I've never ridden any newer quads or even a better shock. But these are too "bouncy"and "unstable" for me. I weigh around 180lbs. That should be enough weight to keep them down right? I have been told this is a good set up. if I get on my buddys Polaris scrambler and blast through the same terrain, his is sooo much smoother! I can probably turn faster lap times on his because I'm not fighting the steering. I also have a steering damper. Any ideas?

whc
05-30-2008, 01:23 PM
I put trx shocks on my 400 along with 2 inch wider arms, backed the preload all the way to the top, comp full soft with just a touch of rebound, this works great at xc race speeds, may even stiffen up a little as I test em, they are a bit stiff for trail riding but I rate this as a big improvement Mild Bill

05-30-2008, 04:41 PM
preload 2 -3 rings from the top (2-3 rings visible above the jamnut). Compression half turn from full soft, rebound i cant remember but just play with it. If its bouncy still mess aroun with the rebound. I have 450r fronts and I adjusted the making it so plush its a world of a difference over stock. Trails and all they soak up more.