PDA

View Full Version : car help please! clutch or tranny slip?

fasterblaster09
05-29-2008, 05:52 PM
well in my civic (standard), when I get on it, like lets say I want to spin the tires or something, it revs high like I still have the clutch engaged. but I really don't have it engaged. and the car catches it up slowly. but you can't tell when your just driving regular, it's only when i get on it. its the same when I switch gears and really get on it. Idk if it's the clutch or tranny. thanx, neil

trx310R#24
05-29-2008, 06:00 PM
sounds like the clutch is sticking take it out oil all of the plates an put it back together

LT250_JOE
05-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by trx310R#24
sounds like the clutch is sticking take it out oil all of the plates an put it back together

:confused:

LT250_JOE
05-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by fasterblaster09
well in my civic (standard), when I get on it, like lets say I want to spin the tires or something, it revs high like I still have the clutch engaged. but I really don't have it engaged. and the car catches it up slowly. but you can't tell when your just driving regular, it's only when i get on it. its the same when I switch gears and really get on it. Idk if it's the clutch or tranny. thanx, neil

Definately a clutch. Replace the clutch disc, pressure plate and throw-out bearing. Also have the flywheel resurfaced. Stop trying to spin the wheels and stop trying to power shift. From what you're describing there is not much clutch left and complete failure is in the very near future.

fasterblaster09
05-29-2008, 08:14 PM
well I bought a clutch kit today and have someone to install it for me for $250, and they will put on my short throw shifter while doing the clutch. can this be the reason it always falls out of 2nd gear? I bouthgt the car about 1 month ago and never noticed until i decided to get on it the other day (have to test the new car). thanx for the help, its greatly appreciated

79400ex
05-29-2008, 10:18 PM
well I bought a clutch kit today and have someone to install it for me for $250, and they will put on my short throw shifter while doing the clutch. can this be the reason it always falls out of 2nd gear? I bouthgt the car about 1 month ago and never noticed until i decided to get on it the other day (have to test the new car). thanx for the help, its greatly appreciated

you could probably be having an intral problem also.

LT250_JOE
05-30-2008, 01:01 PM

Popping out of second gear is a mechanical problem. second gear assy, second gear blocker ring(syncro), and first/ second gear slider need to be replaced. Must split transmission case and have at least a 5 ton press to perform repair. or live with problem which will get progressively worse to the point of not being able to hold in gear with your hand. I would check local junk yards for a used box!!

Which 450?
05-30-2008, 02:13 PM
rofl i love when people that have no idea whats going on respond to something they know nothing about.

LT250_JOE
06-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Which 450?
rofl i love when people that have no idea whats going on respond to something they know nothing about.

Yeah, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express!!!!

KXRida
06-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by LT250_JOE
Yeah, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express!!!!

I think he was talking about Kujo in post #2.

fastredrider44
06-03-2008, 09:41 PM
Sorry to chime in, but the holiday inn express cracks me up. So does hot rodding in a civic. Yeah, popping out of second gear is a transmission problem, and needs to be fixed. Make sure to have your flywheel resurfaced and a new throw-out bearing installed while you have your car apart. I'm not much better than a ricer. My daily right now is a four-banger five speed s-10. It looks fast, but I gotta try to spin them. So I don't. Lately, my kicks are to drive it as easily as possible and see how good of mileage I can milk out of it.