PDA

View Full Version : 300ex chain coming off

sneekypete
05-29-2008, 05:09 PM
My chain on my 300ex comes off when riding on bumpy ground doesn't come off on smooth surfaces like the road though. The rear sprocket looks like it is worn a good bit and this is my first quad do I need a new chain, just need to tighten it, or do I need a new sprocket and chain kit? It is a 2000 and it is still the factory sprockets I am pretty sure. Anyone know any good chain kits for a good price?

wilkin250r
05-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Without really looking at it, I can't tell you if it's worn out or not. But I CAN tell you a few pieces of useful information.

First off, let's see if your chain needs to be tightened. Put it in 1st gear, and push if forward (a friend might be helpful). This puts all the slack on the top section of the chain. If that top section wiggles up and down fairly easily more than an inch, then it's too loose.

The other piece of information is that you must replace the chain and both sprockets together as a set. Changing your gearing every once in a while is no big deal as long as everything is in good shape. But you never want to use a new chain and a worn-out sprocket, because the teeth on the sprocket are spaced too far apart, that worn-out sprocket will ruin that new chain really quickly. This is also true the other way around, you never want to use a new sprocket with a worn-out chain, because it will ruin your new sprocket. They need to wear in together. Always replace worn-out chains and sprockets together as a set.

C&D Racing gave me the best price I could find. for chains and sprockets, And I'm not saying that just because they sponser the site, they really were the best priced. They have their own section on the site, go ahead and make a post and in there and ask for a price.

sneekypete
05-30-2008, 03:24 PM
i tried to tighten it because it looked too loose to me and i couldn't seem to tighten it. i read a couple posts on how to tighten it but couldn't seem to get it tighter. maybe i wasn't doing something right