PDA

View Full Version : Burning oil fast, white smoke.

Honda4lyphe
05-29-2008, 02:21 PM
I tried to perform a search but i couldnt find anything for my problems exactly. I recently changed the oil, i put 2 and a half quarts in it and went for a ride. I was at my buddys when i saw white smoke when i rev it high, i checked my oil and it was barely on the dipstick so i went out and bought another quart..i went riding again and i see a pattern, white smoke when its hot and ran hard and oil barely on the dipstick. White smoke i know is burning oil, so do i probably need to go for a ring job? Even if its the rings..should the oil be burning that fast? I probably rode it for 2 hours when the oil was at the dipper again. How much would you estimate it would cost to replace the rings? Thanks!

Something else that happend was in first gear when im easing out i hear a dragging like sound, like something is on the bottom like a stick dragging on the ground, i checked and saw nothing. I drove it home and didnt expirence this though. Im not sure if its serious. There is no loss of power, if anything, it feels like it has more.

AZ440ex
05-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Better take a look at the top end. Might be rings, might be more. I cracked a vavle seat and started losing oil, not quite as fast as you though.

Since its pretty easy to do i would pull the head off and get a good look at it.

bigballz400
05-29-2008, 10:10 PM
ur rigs.......oil ring...better stop ridin it and tear it down and bore it out

Exrider434
05-30-2008, 05:09 PM
White smoke does not mean your burning oil, and if you are checking you oil as soon as you get done running it then it wouldnt show up on the dipstick. You need to let it sit for 5-10 mins and let the oil fill back into the tank to get an accurate reading..

bigballz400
05-30-2008, 07:33 PM
whtish blue smoke....burnin oil.....i bet on it...every vehilce i kno that burns oil....smokes....simple as that.....oil ring not as good as it use to be....burn a lil oil....sometimes alot........IS UR EXHAUST OILY??

Drewltr450
05-31-2008, 08:12 PM
friends 400ex did the same thing as yours. Rings Piston and Gasket kit will positivly solve your problem.

Honda4lyphe
06-01-2008, 01:46 PM
Exhaust is not oily, i repacked it yesterday and no signs of oil. I checked my oil after letting it sit overnight, and all the other occasions it has sat for 5 minutes or more. I know every vehicle burns oil, but not at this vast rate. There is no leaks around the head or anything like that. What does white smoke necessaraly mean? It only seems to do it when im riding it hard for a good amount of time.

justin1022
06-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Honda4lyphe
Exhaust is not oily, i repacked it yesterday and no signs of oil. I checked my oil after letting it sit overnight, and all the other occasions it has sat for 5 minutes or more. I know every vehicle burns oil, but not at this vast rate. There is no leaks around the head or anything like that. What does white smoke necessaraly mean? It only seems to do it when im riding it hard for a good amount of time.

white smoke usally means over heating. so your probly running thin oil or somthing try difrent weights maybe its somthing minor as far as the dragging i dont no.

Honda4lyphe
06-02-2008, 09:53 AM
I got everything fixed, the dragging was the skid plate from hitting a stump too hard i assume, i got that replaced. I put some 20w 50 in it and ran it for a few days, it didnt go down at all so i switched back to 10w 40 and rode all day yesterday and so far everythings doing great. I appreciate the help!

justin1022
06-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Honda4lyphe
I got everything fixed, the dragging was the skid plate from hitting a stump too hard i assume, i got that replaced. I put some 20w 50 in it and ran it for a few days, it didnt go down at all so i switched back to 10w 40 and rode all day yesterday and so far everythings doing great. I appreciate the help!
ha see try the little things first before over recating and pulling apart your engine haa