PDA

View Full Version : 60mpg car

quads14589
05-29-2008, 04:19 AM
my mom went to go look at the new 09 VW jetta deisel and the guy told us that the car will get 60 highway and 52 city, and the msrp on the car for the base model will be around 19grand or so they dont know yet but that is a rough estimate.

hardtrailz400
05-29-2008, 06:39 AM
My mom's 06 Jetta TDI was right at 26,000 dollars. It does basically average 54 mpg on a pretty equal split of highway and city driving.

It has 60,000 miles on it and it is broke again. It has been in the shop four times where it had to be kept at least overnight, which is a pain when the dealership is 45 minutes away.

My dad is a numbers guy. When he bought the diesel and planned on putting a lot of miles on it, diesel and gas were the same price. He said at that point it would take about 100,000 miles of driving to make the diesel worth it.
He know says with the price of diesel, he would be better off getting 35 mpg from the gas motor, plus services would be less.

Just some info.

400exkid2
05-29-2008, 10:35 AM
i agree with you quads14 they are not the most reliable cars out on the road an are kind of expensive to fix

400exkid2
05-29-2008, 10:36 AM
sorry i ment hardtrails i agree with you

05-29-2008, 03:03 PM
vw's are hit or miss. You can get a good one, or a **** one. There is a whole bunch of diesels coming over here. The TDI' vw's, BMW is bringing over their diesel 5 series, and I'm pretty sure even Ford is putting small diesels in cars. They've been using diesel cars in Euroland for ever.

05-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Toyota Prius. Maybe not the most flashy car out there but man the gas milage is great! My neighbor is a anesthesiologist he had 2 Porsche and then a BMW and then a Prius. He went from high end cars to a Prius because the car was so good on gas and it drives pretty nice. Most doctors I know of or see since they have to drive to hospitals all the time are getting the Prius.

LT250_JOE
05-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
Toyota Prius. Maybe not the most flashy car out there but man the gas milage is great! My neighbor is a anesthesiologist he had 2 Porsche and then a BMW and then a Prius. He went from high end cars to a Prius because the car was so good on gas and it drives pretty nice. Most doctors I know of or see since they have to drive to hospitals all the time are getting the Prius.

42-47 mpg from prius. Kind of pricey but what isnt. God bless you when something breaks outside of warranty period. I work for Toyota and replace the $354.00+45.00 labor HID headlight bulbs all the time.

quad2xtreme
05-29-2008, 06:44 PM
We have a 2003 Beetle TDI that gets 50 mpg all around driving. It has never been in the shop for any repair..and only basic oil changes. The maintenance on it has been extremely low.

Diesel has gone up 55% in the last year. The only thing that favors a diesel right now is for those who put 200,000+ on a car before getting rid of it.

My diesel truck has been in the shop for all kinds of electrical type issues.

05-29-2008, 07:21 PM

Nah, I remember an article that proved a diesel BMW 5 series overall is better on gas than a Priuis. Plus, the diesel will last for ever, has some balls(twin turbo's), and if your driving on the highway alot the Prius sucks. Oh and the bimmer isnt gay like the Prius :o :chinese:

parkers30
05-30-2008, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by nofearrider1
Nah, I remember an article that proved a diesel BMW 5 series overall is better on gas than a Priuis. Plus, the diesel will last for ever, has some balls(twin turbo's), and if your driving on the highway alot the Prius sucks. Oh and the bimmer isnt gay like the Prius :o :chinese:

What wrong with driving a Pirus on the interstate?

My mom is now on her second one. Around 70k between the two cars 75+% of which is interstate. She only traded the other one to get a new version since hers needed tires and few other maintenance items and the trade in was too good to pass up. I personally have probably 5,000 or more miles on her cars and like driving it other than the drivers seat not being well suited for 6'+ people. We have averaged around 45-47mpg long term on both cars with many drivers mixed in.

05-30-2008, 04:50 PM
its all on how you drive the prius. Yes the sticker says 48 i think but I know 2 people that have them 1 was getting 55 MPG and the other got 62 MPG. Theres a trick to driving to get the most gas milage with it.

05-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by parkers30
What wrong with driving a Pirus on the interstate?

My mom is now on her second one. Around 70k between the two cars 75+% of which is interstate. She only traded the other one to get a new version since hers needed tires and few other maintenance items and the trade in was too good to pass up. I personally have probably 5,000 or more miles on her cars and like driving it other than the drivers seat not being well suited for 6'+ people. We have averaged around 45-47mpg long term on both cars with many drivers mixed in.

It's just not as good as it is in the city. Its really good in the city because of all the stop and go traffic, which mostly uses the electric motor.

parkers30
05-30-2008, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by nofearrider1
It's just not as good as it is in the city. Its really good in the city because of all the stop and go traffic, which mostly uses the electric motor.

Ours have ALWAYS done better on the interstate. We have tried all sorts of ways of driving and none seem to help substantially.

05-31-2008, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by parkers30
Ours have ALWAYS done better on the interstate. We have tried all sorts of ways of driving and none seem to help substantially.

Hmm I've always heard of them getting better milage in the city. You actually own one so you know more than me.

parkers30
05-31-2008, 09:15 PM
I've talked to people who claim the same thing from their cars. All I can tell you that in town/highway is close, but we have never seen consistently better mileage in town, especially not to the scale they claim.

There is so many inefficiencies in the system I just don't see how it would be possible.

rossignoldude81
06-04-2008, 08:26 AM
i dont know about yall, but i would never get rid of my truck to buy a car. trucks are way more useful then a car can ever be. gas is at 4 dollars a gallon and getting higher, i will cough up the money to drive the truck around... and im not rich either, i am enlisted in the coast guard...

06-04-2008, 09:30 AM
i would get a car for better gas milage but yeah like you said rossignoldude81 a truck is way more useful. I rather drive a pickup and get less gas milage than a car than have to drive a car towing a trailer. Trucks you can run over curbs or medians, run something over in the road instead of swerving, go offroading, carry big loads, tow more, safer to drive, load up our quad and go...

I am looking for a pickup I was looking to get a Tundra but I cant afford to have that low of gas milage. I looked at Frontiers and they are like a Tacoma but they get even worse gas milage. Tacomas get pretty good gas milage compared to most other trucks. I never wanted a 4 cylinder truck but with gas prices I might just be getting a 4 cylinder Tacoma. As long as it gets me there i'm happy.

FHKracingZ
06-04-2008, 10:46 AM
People go out and buy cheap gas efficient 4 cylinder cars for 5-6k , but do not realize they could drive there V8 gas vehicle around for along time with that 5-6k they spent on that 4cylinder.

rossignoldude81
06-04-2008, 06:13 PM
i would get a car for better gas milage but yeah like you said rossignoldude81 a truck is way more useful. I rather drive a pickup and get less gas milage than a car than have to drive a car towing a trailer. Trucks you can run over curbs or medians, run something over in the road instead of swerving, go offroading, carry big loads, tow more, safer to drive, load up our quad and go...

I am looking for a pickup I was looking to get a Tundra but I cant afford to have that low of gas milage. I looked at Frontiers and they are like a Tacoma but they get even worse gas milage. Tacomas get pretty good gas milage compared to most other trucks. I never wanted a 4 cylinder truck but with gas prices I might just be getting a 4 cylinder Tacoma. As long as it gets me there i'm happy.

and people dont **** around when they see a truck... they see how big you are and they dont cut you off normally and wont tail gate... at least people arounnd here who suck at driving are learning now taht i moved up here haha... they tailgate me and i take the long way home to piss them off... but my buddy has a tacoma 6 cylinder and gets just over 300 miles per tank, and my other buddy wrecked his frontier and couldnt afford another truck, and he hates having a car. he drives around in a scion tc and want to trade it to buy a new truck... i just dont see the point in a car, maybe just cuz im tall and it sucks feeling like your sittin on the ground... im not tryin to talk **** or anything, just an opinion take it as it is...

400exstud
06-05-2008, 03:37 PM
I f'ing hate my truck right now. 1997 F-150 XLT 4X4 bla bla bla.......13 mph overall. I never go over 2,000 rpm and that is with the weak 4.6L mini 8. Plus it isn't fun to drive at all. With my moms civic you can actually move around inside your lane, slow down by applying the brakes, and park in stalls without rocking back and forth.

rollie
06-05-2008, 05:35 PM
I get 12.6 in my chevy 2500HD with a 6.0, not all that bad with 35's, allthough its nice to hop in my sisters mazda and get 32mpg, but with racing and work, i need a truck, I'll admit driving it 14 miles back and fourth to school 5 days a week is kind of a dumb idea, but its more fun to drive than a car:D

I've also thought about getting rid of it and buying an Audi A4, but that would turn into a money pit too!! haha

quads14589
06-05-2008, 07:30 PM
how can u afford gas right now for a truck like that? i can barley pay for gas in my blazer that has a 4.3

rollie
06-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Gotta be careful where i drive it, if i need to go a distance then i take my sisters car, and i work with my father, so when i work with him he pays for the gas i use when im at work, most of the time i just jump in his van though

06-05-2008, 07:58 PM
The most thing to drive for me is my moms Honda Accord. For a 4 cylinder man is that thing peppy, brakes and turns on a dime. But a car doesnt get my quad anywhere...

400exrider99
06-06-2008, 11:30 AM
i am planing on selling my truck (14mpg) soon so i can buy an STi. for the most part cars are way more fun to drive than a truck. cars handle better are typically faster and stop better too. i have a topper on my truck so i dont use it to haul my quad much i use my dads truck or a friend will help me out. since i broke my wrist i cant ride now any way. i have had this mcast for 10 weeks and i still ahve to do some physical theropy too. so want a car