PDA

View Full Version : Removing axle blues...

Badmammajamma
05-28-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm in the process of tearing my rear end apart to change my axle bearings and get everything back to new in that area. I'm having issues getting the rear axle off though. The big nut(s) that link the axle together near the brake disk are giving me absolute hell. First of all I didn't realize it was 2 nuts locked together so I sat there for 10 minutes torquing the heck out of it to loosen it. Then my friend told me they were 2 separate nuts and that i needed to get them apart. I swear those 2 things are welded together. I have 2 monkey wrenches both with leverage extensions and I can't get those nuts to split from each other to save my life! Any tips/tricks on making this easier considering I'm a one man band until Friday?

justin1022
05-28-2008, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Badmammajamma
I'm in the process of tearing my rear end apart to change my axle bearings and get everything back to new in that area. I'm having issues getting the rear axle off though. The big nut(s) that link the axle together near the brake disk are giving me absolute hell. First of all I didn't realize it was 2 nuts locked together so I sat there for 10 minutes torquing the heck out of it to loosen it. Then my friend told me they were 2 separate nuts and that i needed to get them apart. I swear those 2 things are welded together. I have 2 monkey wrenches both with leverage extensions and I can't get those nuts to split from each other to save my life! Any tips/tricks on making this easier considering I'm a one man band until Friday?

ya well your first problem is those are left hand threads so your probly turning the wrong way and then at the nut to the outisde of the axle has a cir clip under it once u loosen them up u will be able to pick it out it is a hard pick though! and then u slide the lock nuts of and clip and put a 2x4 to the end of the axle and hit with a hammer to left so it all slides out towards the sproket side. but ya those are left hand threads.

Badmammajamma
05-30-2008, 08:35 AM
So I need to be turning the nut closest to the swing-arm clockwise or counterclockwise?

CGriff
05-30-2008, 08:41 AM
you want to back the 2 nutz off towards the swingarm so you can reach the snapring underneath the bigger one. Once you get the snap ring off the two nutz and the coller that they sit on should slide off the axle also.

justin1022
05-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by CGriff
you want to back the 2 nutz off towards the swingarm so you can reach the snapring underneath the bigger one. Once you get the snap ring off the two nutz and the coller that they sit on should slide off the axle also.

but the axle slides of the oposite side

Exrider434
05-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Badmammajamma
So I need to be turning the nut closest to the swing-arm clockwise or counterclockwise?

Both nuts get turned counter clockwise, and once they are backed off enough it will reveal a little snap ring, remove that and the whole nut should slide right off.

CoolCat
06-01-2008, 10:46 AM
You want to turn the inner nut, which is closest to the rotor hub down to the ground. If you are looking in towards the swing arm from the right rear tire, this will be counter clockwise. You will want to unscrew that nut all the way. Then you want to take the other nut and do the same thing. Eventually you will see a little circlip around the axle, you want to get your pick tools out for this and pop it out of it's slot. Once you have the clip out, you need to make sure the right rear hub is off, and slide the locknut hub, and the rotor hub off of the axle. Then get a rubber mallet and beat the axle out of the left side. Then you will get snap ring pliers and take the snap ring, holding the brake stay, off. Make sure you have the swing arm bolts out and maybe open up your swing arm just a bit, but not much. Then grab a rubber mallet, and start to lightly tap the carrier out. It should come out easy with no probs. If it is giving you probs, open up the carrier a bit more, but be careful you do not want to break it.

honda729
06-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Im gettin ahead of you, but make sure to locktight those nuts when you put it back on because if not they will work loose while riding (its a pain when you take it off again but its the only way I know how to keep them there)

CoolCat
06-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Make sure to use the blue locktite, the red is permanent locktite and is supposed to have to be heated to 500 degrees to break lose once dried. The blue can be taken off with hand tools, it dries and prevents bolts from vibrating lose.