PDA

View Full Version : Axle Locknut Removal - Axle Rotation...

James96GT
05-28-2008, 10:58 AM
So, I have enjoyed all the fun of trying to remove the outer lock nut on my 300EX axle. I know it's lefthand and has a retaining ring. It still won't budge but I will be getting a larger wrench and pipe today for more leverage...

My question - What is the best way to stop the rear axle from rotating while fighting this thing? In gear it's so tight that I turn the engine over. I just found the parking brake but have a feeling that won't be enough. I wedged a combo wrench through the sprocket against the old bearing carrier and broke the carrier (good thing that is what I am replacing!) Any suggestions to stop it from turning without damage elsewhere?

400exrider707
05-28-2008, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by James96GT
So, I have enjoyed all the fun of trying to remove the outer lock nut on my 300EX axle. I know it's lefthand and has a retaining ring. It still won't budge but I will be getting a larger wrench and pipe today for more leverage...

My question - What is the best way to stop the rear axle from rotating while fighting this thing? In gear it's so tight that I turn the engine over. I just found the parking brake but have a feeling that won't be enough. I wedged a combo wrench through the sprocket against the old bearing carrier and broke the carrier (good thing that is what I am replacing!) Any suggestions to stop it from turning without damage elsewhere?

Have someone else hold the rear brake. Works like a charm.

James96GT
05-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Thanks! Although my wife is the only "available" person and she has been hnds off to this point... she "love" this request!

jkiserracing
05-28-2008, 08:01 PM
yes i know what you mean..i had my wife just sid down on my quad and hold the brake...she didnt mind too much......

James96GT
05-29-2008, 06:35 AM
Now the threaded bolt and brake hub that are slid on to the axle spline are "fused". Thought I was over the hump with the nut.... from what I have read sounds like allot of elbow grease may get them off... any tricks or suggestions... I have read most of the posts.... I may end up taking the whole swing arm off to get better stability on hitting the thing... talk about hitting on high then onto the next low!!!!

jkiserracing
05-29-2008, 08:14 AM
do they slide at all. Like do the slide maybe a half inch back and forth but wont come completely off?

James96GT
05-29-2008, 08:36 AM
They don't seem to be moving at all.....

jkiserracing
05-29-2008, 04:31 PM
Have you been able to loosen it up enough to get the clip off?

James96GT
05-29-2008, 05:11 PM
I was able to get the locknuts off and the clip.... Seems to be a rust and age issue with the splines of the axle"bolt" and brake hub.....

jkiserracing
05-29-2008, 06:39 PM
OK. I have been through this..I know your frustration. So it really just needs to slide off at this point it sounds like. Try heating it with a small torch (Carefully please......) or even a lighter. Try to keep prying on it. It eventually has to start to move at some point. Also use plenty of WD40 or liquid wrench. Just be sure to do that after using the heat. If you have been using those all ready just be sure to clean off all the excess before applying the heat. Let know what happens....

James96GT
06-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Gave it all I had and no progress. Brought it to the dealership and they tried everything and still couldn't get it out. They spent several hours but only charged me for 1. They soaked, pried, pounded and cut and still couldn't get the rotor off or the axle. So I ended purchasing a used swing arm and axle off ebay. I have a buddy who's going to try cutting the sprocket hub off and getting it out in reverse, then I can sell that swing arm on ebay. What a pain!

jkiserracing
06-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Yes sounds like a pain. I cant imagine why its stuck but sounds like you found a solution. Hope your friend gets it cut off.....good luck.