PDA

View Full Version : DPR8Z vs. DPR9Z

BSchorr
05-28-2008, 06:33 AM
I was told that a DPR8Z is the preferred plug for MX/trail use and DPR9Z is used for high speed use? What do you guys think? What is the recommend gap? Right now, my 8Z is at .025

I am currently running the 8Z and picked up a 9Z at the atv shop. I run my atv on the roads here as it is legal. So I am at higher speeds most the time.

I also need to put a 16 tooth up front instead of my 15 tooth.

Any info would be great.

Also on a side note, When im going 3/4 to full throttle, the bike kinda cuts out every 3-4 secconds, some less and some more. Wonder if thats the plug or the Main needle in the carb not allowing enough gas for such speed?\

Or do you think lowering the clip setting is my first place to start since doing so will pull the needle higher up allowing more fuel to pass through the needle jet?

Read it here! Good info here.

http://www.atvriders.com/articles/jetting.html

Wheelie
05-28-2008, 08:16 AM
If the engine is stock internally, run the 8. If the engine has been modified, run the 9.

BSchorr
05-28-2008, 09:01 AM
white brothers 440 kit, hot stage 2 cam, kibblewhite valves/valve springs. LRD full exhaust.

MOON
05-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Run the 9Z cause I have a similar setup and had heat problems early on with the 8Z. It's better now, I recomend it.

BSchorr
05-29-2008, 03:44 AM
K, thanks..

..and another thing, I was driving my atv on the streets doing about 3/4 to almost fuill throttle some and my atv just shut down like someone turned off the key. When I rolled to a stop. I had lights, tailight, the starter turned over, just wouldnt start. As I was rolling to a stop, i tried to pop start it so I could keep on going and it wouldn't do that. I called a friend to come pick me up with his truck. I checked all the electrical connections and everything. Couldnt find anything wrong.... After sitting there for 30 min, tried it again and nothing.... Sat for 5 min more and tried it and it started like nothing ever happend?

Got any thoughts?

It wasnt any hotter then its been before. It was just getting warmed up actually. only was driving it for 5 min.

MOON
05-29-2008, 03:40 PM
When you check the connections make sure you are using ohms. Sounds like maybe your coil has moisture in it. It's fine cold but ,when it warms up moisture bakes out of it causing a open in the system. Or..........it could be your IPG (Ingnition Pulse Generator). If moisture gets their it wouldn't efect your lights or starter, but it would cause a weak spark. Then your machine can not start until the water gets outa there. If it does it again use an electric heat gun (not too close to anything but) get some heat on the crankcase (ignition side) and on the coil see if that tells you anything ok. Hope this helped :ermm: