PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Guru's...quick question

derekhonda
05-28-2008, 12:07 AM
So i bought another 6x6 Argo...so much fun. Anyways, they come with headlights but this had a brush guard/front bumper on it that kinda covers most of the light, so I decided to add some fog lights to it.

Anyways, I wired the power wire into the same switch that the main lights are on, and I was looking for a ground (which is a pain in these things...plastic body) with a test light and finally just decided to do it to the winch sillinoids cause they are right up front and I wouldnt have to run much wire. Anyways, the lights work great, and the winch still works...but when I have the light switch turned off, and real in the winch, the lights turn on!

How is this possible, and is it hurting anything?

wilkin250r
05-28-2008, 02:04 AM
It's very possible that it might be dangerous (not to you, but dangerous to your electrical system).

Do you have a multi-meter? I can help you diagnose and fix the problem. Is it also possible to get a wiring diagram for your vehicle (maybe a repair manual?).

derekhonda
05-28-2008, 08:54 AM
No Multimeter, but yeah I have all paper work on the machine, Im sure there is a diagram in there. What puzzles me about the lights kicking on is the switch ( to the lights) has not allowed the current through, because its in the off position. So how is this a complete circuit?

I think I'll just move the wire to the battery for now atleast.

smr
05-28-2008, 09:07 AM
wilkin250r knows his stuff. He is an enginer (i think). I'm an electrictian so if you can post a diagram I would be willing to be money that we can figure it out.

Do you know if it's a 6 volt system? The easy way to tell is look at the battery and count the caps. If it's 6 volt I bet I know what the problem is.

derekhonda
05-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Eh i ended up just moving the connection to the battery, so no more question i guess. I'd still like to know exactly how it made a solid connection to turn the lights on...cause without that switch engaged it shouldn't have had any juice from the positive side. Ohwell...maybe just current running through strong enough when the winch was activated? Anyways thanks guys.

Which 450?
05-28-2008, 02:50 PM
could the lights have grounded through the body of the light through the brush guard? then when the solenoid was engaged it provided current to the light. Lights will work no matter what side current is applied to.

derekhonda
05-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Nah...actually mounted them to the plastic body, not the brush guard.

wilkin250r
05-28-2008, 11:37 PM
I could tell you the exact problem if I was standing right beside you looking at it, but since I'm not, I'll tell you the general problem.

For most lights, they are bi-directional. It doesn't matter which side is positive or negative, they'll work either way.

Your switch is probably grounded, it's not uncommon for switches to also have their own chassis ground. And when it's in the "off" position, it's grounded. So now your switch is ground.

When the winch is activated, it also has a complete circuit. Which means you'll have electricity flowing both sides, and even the negative side will be higher than the ground plane (unless it's really really close, with heavy wire and a good connection). So even the negative side will be energized, and now becomes your lights "positive" side.

We could test various spots, and going back and forth we could come up with a solution, but you've got one that works just as well. Just isolate it from your winch, keep the systems independent, it's easy and guarenteed to work.