PDA

View Full Version : Piston Skirts...

breaks-alot
11-29-2002, 09:22 AM
If anyone has ever read about YZF's they say one reason they accelerate so fast is there lack of piston skirts. So I looked at my friends YZF440 and it’s true. So me being as dumb as I am I wondered if you can do that to 400's pistons? I don't see why not if its 100% balanced. What do you guys think?

breaks-alot
12-04-2002, 09:01 AM
So no one here knows anything about this? It seems like the aftermarket "light weight" pistons don't have as long or wide piston skirts as normal pistons. So has anyone ever heard of motor builders cutting the piston skirts shorter? Or is there any real good reason why this couldn't work?:confused:

YZROOSTINYA
12-04-2002, 09:38 AM
i beleive the motor has a shorter stroke which is one reason it would accelerate faster. also the yzf and drz have no rockers in the valve train. the cam sits directly on the valve via a shim. this lightens up the entire valve train and drastically reduces recirecating (sp?) mass

which assists in redline,response, and acceleration. thats why, not just the skirt. plus then fact that it runs ata CONSTANT temp helps