PDA

View Full Version : 07R won't start after a weekend of racing

rollie
05-27-2008, 05:44 PM
I did alot of riding this past weekend,(MX practice, Flat Track, 2 MX classes) and on the last of the MX races my neutral light and temp light wouldnt go on and there was nothing when i hit the button, I had to popstart it and it ran like a champ...

Any idea's on what could be wrong

I checked most of the connections, there all good, fuse it fine, battery terminals and eveything are good

This is the stock harness with a pro design kill switch, all unnessacary wires unpluged and taped up, YZ killswitch for the starter, and the Green wire cut.

Its also worth noting that when i popstarted it, everytime i gave ot the gas the neutral light would fade in then as it revved down it would fade out, when i got back to the pit the light wouldnt turn on at all.

Thanks!!

Sjorge450R
05-27-2008, 07:01 PM
mine did that this weekend. Not sure what was wrong. I was kicking it and kicking and nothing. I kicked for a good 15 min. Then i left and came back about 10 min later and it started right up. I thought it was wierd.

but since you have electric, are you even getting a click??? like the relay clicking? Any noises?

Also, change the fuel. Maybe you have contaminated fuel??? jumped timing? this is gonna be something that you are going to ahve to do a guess and check on.

05-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Check your valve clearances. That is the tell tale sign that the intake valves are tight.

d3ktrix
05-27-2008, 07:10 PM
...Guys he's saying it won't even crank.
Nothing happens when he hits the starter button and theres no lights.

eastcoastpro20
05-27-2008, 07:16 PM
your batterys prolly dead
try hookin up jumper cables and hit the starter see if it turnsover

rollie
05-27-2008, 07:28 PM
Yeah, whatever the problem it is deff electrical related, not sure how the bike fired right up, then 10 minutes later the battery would be completely dead and i wouldnt get anything? this battery was brand new when i built the quad (3 months ago)

and i bought the gas that's in it on saturday morning so its fresh and thats all fine.

a connection or somethings gotta be loose somewhere:confused:

BeltSlipper
05-27-2008, 07:37 PM
WOW, we had the same thing happen this past weekend as well. Raced several races, ran good, then nothing. Just as you. I found that we busted a cell in the battery. Put another battery in, fired right up.
They just don't make batteries like they use to.

honda4life72
05-27-2008, 07:56 PM
i dont knwo much abotu the ER's but this may help. my bro's 250ex did the same thing and it turned out the be the solinoid had gone bad in it. it would just pop but no start. but it u just put a wire across the selinoid to conect the starter wires it woudl fire right up. try that

eastcoastpro20
05-27-2008, 08:13 PM
be sure batterys ground wire is tight

rollie
05-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Hopefully its not the battery, there expensive as hell!!!, ill check into the solinoid, if i connect the two ends with a screw driver it wont short anything our right?

I checked to make sure everything to do with the battery was tght and it was, ill double check tommorw

thanks for you help guys

BeltSlipper
05-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Here try this, I'm not big on Rocky Mountain items, but a battery is a battery.

This one is $39.00
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=19&navTitle=Electrical&webCatId=20&prodFamilyId=8926#vehicleSelect

This one is $75, looks to be OEM replacement.
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=19&navTitle=Electrical&webCatId=20&prodFamilyId=9069#vehicleSelect

stumpleg
05-28-2008, 08:32 AM
If its estart, make sure your plug underneath your shifter is hooked up. If it isn't, this will keep your neutral light from coming on allowing you to start it.

honda4life72
05-28-2008, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by rollie
Hopefully its not the battery, there expensive as hell!!!, ill check into the solinoid, if i connect the two ends with a screw driver it wont short anything our right?

I checked to make sure everything to do with the battery was tght and it was, ill double check tommorw

thanks for you help guys it shouldn't becasue we started his like that for abotu a month everyday until the new solinoid got here

rollie
05-28-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by honda4life72
it shouldn't becasue we started his like that for abotu a month everyday until the new solinoid got here i tryed that out, and it worked, i ordered a new solinoid today and should have it by monday. Thanks for the help guys!!!

But why would a solinoid just randomly die out on an 07 quad? will hard riding and bouncing around alot cause it or is it justra freak thing?

honda4life72
05-28-2008, 07:52 PM
yes!!! honda4life72 saves the day again lol j/k i would say its from jumping and stuff and the solinoid bouncing around. or from starting trhe bike riding it like 20 secs out of the garage and then turning it off and stuff everyday