PDA

View Full Version : Welding gussets

gotwarrior
05-27-2008, 04:52 PM
when installing a gusset kit how do most people weld them in? MIG, TIG.. Because i can do it myself but a wouldn't want to do it the wrong way..

mudatv
05-27-2008, 11:08 PM
I have installed gussets on several quads before and have always used my MIG welder. The most important thing to remember is that the welder needs to be setup properly so you don't burn through your frame. If done right you should be OK either way, just don't let it get too hot.

gotwarrior
05-28-2008, 05:47 PM
Well i tryed it on a old frame of mine and the only way that i was able to keep it the way i like it was welding for about a half inch and then give it a slip sec and start welding again.. i never looked like i stoped, but that is the only way i could keep it from burning a hole.. Do you think that be strong enough?

taw
06-02-2008, 06:53 PM
really its not very good for the steel to heat it up that much and can take some of the strength out of it. Try turning your voltage and wirespeed down and see if you cant run a constant bead.

motoboy66
06-03-2008, 08:52 PM
I used MIG the first time, and TIG the second. TIG is what most shops would use, so I have been told. Also don't do all the gussets on one side firts, The heating of the frame will cause it to bend. Do one bead then do the same on the other side of the frame, and kinda work your way around. There is a proper method for welding so you don't tweak the frame with the heat. My cousin is a pro welder, and he showed me once how he would do it.

baldathoR
06-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Pretty much everything on my actual frame is mig welded.

Mig or tig it doesn't really matter.

You definitely will have to alternate at opposite ends. Try to think of tightening lug nuts(assuming you do it properly).

BTW - not to talk you out of it but you can actually do more harm than good when using gussets.

gotwarrior
06-07-2008, 08:08 PM
I just figured if i did a bare kit which covers most of the major points.. so i wouldn't be putting too many gussets in.. so the frame could still flex a little..

motoboy66
06-08-2008, 10:26 AM
I used the Bare kit on my 400EX. It was a good kit with good fit. My frame was a little tweaked from a few years of racing, so I did have to grind a few of the gussets for a better fit.

gotwarrior
06-08-2008, 01:29 PM
my frame is in good shape besides one crack by the kick start.. thats when i decided to gusset it.. I already welded that up so it would crack worse then it already was..