PDA

View Full Version : LSR Axle/Rear Hub, anyone else have this problem?

bloodmoney23
05-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Whats up guys.....As alot of you know I have an almost full LSR bike. Well pretty much everytime I ride I have to tighten the castle nut on my rear hubs because they magically come loose like nothing. And b4 its stated yes I have the cotter pin in. Well I took the hubs comepletely off and it looks as if both the axle splines and the hub splines are both stripping out. Has anyone else had this problem with the LSR axle and hubs? And if so were they pretty compliant and helpful with getting the stuff fixed and back to you? Trying to decide if I should go with a different axle and hubs. Also, for those of you whom dont know the bike was just rebuilt and first ride was in Feb. So it doesnt have a lot of rides on it.

05-27-2008, 02:11 PM
The spacers are squishing. You need new ones. Been there done that.

bloodmoney23
05-27-2008, 02:37 PM
so in other words i need to buy new spacers every 12-15 rides?

TRX450RACER174
05-27-2008, 03:45 PM
What are you using to tighten the axle nuts? i have had a LSR axle for 2+yrs with stock hubs and have never had a problem with them loosening up, perhaps you are not getting them tight enough.

05-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by bloodmoney23
so in other words i need to buy new spacers every 12-15 rides?

No. I called LSR and they told me it was a common problem and for the low price of $59.95 they would send me new updated ones. SO far it has stayed tight. I was tightening the right side every timre I rode.

300ex_#387
05-27-2008, 04:00 PM
I run an LSR axle and hubs, and I also have this problem. I am getting them as tight as I can with a cheater bar, and it never fails that they will come loose. It's done this since the axle, and spacers were brand new. I'm sure it's just a common problem that a lot of people have. When I use to race my 300 I had to do the same thing, and I ran an LSR axle and hubs on that also.

bloodmoney23
05-27-2008, 04:31 PM
to tighten it, its at approx 175lbs. of torque with a torque wrench and a pipe on torque wrench. The only reason I say approx 175 is cause I had loosen it back up just a tad to get the cotter pin in because it was NOT going any further past 175lbs and it was only off line by about 1/16th of an inch. I contacted LSR and im gonna send the hub in anyway cause im gettin forward and back play as well which would be worn splines. I think im going to have my dad machine 1 solid steel spacer for each side so I do not need the 3 individuals on each side just incase im am squishing the spacers. Im just gonna ask them if that will void the warranty first. Cause i aint got $60 right now to buy spacers.

TRX450RACER174
05-27-2008, 05:25 PM
How old is your axle i use a impact to put my hubs on and wrench it on until the sockets quits tightening.

d3ktrix
05-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
No. I called LSR and they told me it was a common problem and for the low price of $59.95 they would send me new updated ones. SO far it has stayed tight. I was tightening the right side every timre I rode.

LSR wants to charge u $60 to replace their defective product? Thats retarded.
If something comes loose every ride they should give u the updated parts for free to make their product work the way it should to begin with.
And $60 for spacers is crazy no matter how u look at it.

bloodmoney23
05-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Well I put the stock rear hubs back on it and the tightened right up, no play and I rode it through some rough terrain for about an hour and its still good and tight. I talked to bobby at lsr and he said they'll take care of it but its just the hubs. And trx450racer174 everything is only less than 4 months old. I just put it together and started riding it in feb.

TRX450RACER174
05-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Wow that sucks glad i'm still on stock hubs and not billet i hope this is a isolated problem cause i wanted to upgrade in the future.

D Bergstrom
05-27-2008, 09:34 PM
I have LSR axle and hubs on my race quad. I can go ride around all weekend out in the desert and not have the hubs loosen one bit. After a race though, the hub nuts will back off a little. (Just goes to show how much more you push it while racing.) I use 1/8" dia stainless steel cotters in them, so they just barely back off, and then I make it part of my regular prep to retighten and put new cotters in.

My other 450R has a Laeger axle and LSR hubs. Never had a problem, but that quad also does not get raced.

Doug