PDA

View Full Version : first time rebuilding q's

sl2fast
05-27-2008, 12:13 PM
some or most of this is gonna sound noobish but this is my first quad, 96 300ex. bought it with a blown top end, and just waiting to get the piston in to get it bored out.

q 1: jetting, this is my weakness dont know what im looking at for sizes, once together mods will be, full dg exhaust, open airbox with uni filter, wiseco 11:1 piston w/.040 overbore. what main and what pilot jet sizes should i start at?

Q2: stupid me in dissasembly of the top end didnt pay much attention when pulling the timing off, are there marks on the cam and crank gears to properly line them up? the wheeler is at a friends house so i cant go look at it right now.

thanks for any help!

bwamos
05-28-2008, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by sl2fast
some or most of this is gonna sound noobish but this is my first quad, 96 300ex. bought it with a blown top end, and just waiting to get the piston in to get it bored out.

q 1: jetting, this is my weakness dont know what im looking at for sizes, once together mods will be, full dg exhaust, open airbox with uni filter, wiseco 11:1 piston w/.040 overbore. what main and what pilot jet sizes should i start at?

Q2: stupid me in dissasembly of the top end didnt pay much attention when pulling the timing off, are there marks on the cam and crank gears to properly line them up? the wheeler is at a friends house so i cant go look at it right now.

thanks for any help!

q1: Start with 135 Main Jet (Keihin Long Hex) and 40 pilot.

q2: remove top left timing plug on the stator side sidecase. Line the | of the |T marking up with the notch. (this is Top Dead Center). Then you have 3 marks on the cam gear. Line the 2 opposing up with the sealing surface of the head w/ the perpendicular mark up. IMPORTANT: make sure all the timing chain slack is on the intake side/rear of the motor (tensioner side).

Valve adjustment should be 0.004" intake and exhaust.

sl2fast
05-28-2008, 08:07 PM
awsome thanks dude, that was the info i was lookin for.

come to find out today, the previous owner had jetted it with a dynojet kit, has a 122 main. im assuming that to be the stg2 kit so with that being said is the pilot 40 or close to?

bwamos
05-29-2008, 06:59 AM
The DJ you'd be looking for would be a 128dj Jet.

It is too lean w/ the airbox lid off.

I'd just run up to the dealership and grab a 135main for $4.

The 122dj would be for a bone stock motor w/ a basic exhaust, airbox closed up, and unvented.

The DJ kit uses the stock pilot jet wich would be a 38. You can try it.. but if you get backfiring on deceleration you can't get rid of by adjusting the pilot screw, then go up to a 40.