PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully trading the 400ex for a 450r today.

zdowell
05-27-2008, 10:12 AM
Got a call from one of my buddies that works up at the atv dealership. They got a 04 450r in, its almost completely stock. Even has the stock tires on it still. I have a 04 400ex that when they look at it, it will be completely stock but with good front tires. Going to get the stock rears remounted. Now I am waiting to see how much they want for it. Im going in with mine so they can look it over and tell me what trade would be for mine.

Hope they don't kill me on my trade. On KBB.com the price difference is right around $350 stock for stock. Im tired of trying to keep up with my friends that have 450's or one guy just got a 525.

BadinBlack
05-27-2008, 10:16 AM
nice, i'd definately do it!

zdowell
05-27-2008, 10:50 AM
what are some major things that go wrong with 450r's? I started up the 450 and it sounded great. This thing definetly needs some TLC but looks like a great bike. Looked at the Air filter and looked like someone forgot it was there.

sparksmakefire
05-27-2008, 11:17 AM
if the filter looks that bad... i wonder if they ever managed to change the oil too? and the main thing i dont like about buying used things is who knows how it was treated before and then WHY are THEY getting rid of it?

bloodmoney23
05-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Well the 04-05 major problems is crank bearing failures. It would be smart to change out the crank bearings every 1.5-2 years and the ratios on rear shock and linkage really suck so they buck alot. Just change out the rear linkage and that will def help out that alot. I would get it cause they are good bikes in the long run. And to quote above you also have to think about this. If it still has stock tires on it and is pretty much stock it was prolly owned by an older guy and prolly just traded it in for a 4x4 or something. Sometimes you get lucky like that.

zdowell
05-27-2008, 12:43 PM
I have a thing with buying brand new toys. Spend $8-10,000 and the moment you load it up its worth $500-1000 less. Im not rich yet so I buy things used. The guy who traded it in, also bought it from that same store. It was a older guy and his wife that rode it. Who knows the real story on it, I mean, I have taken mine to the dunes 1 time, jumped it, rode the **** out of it, and in 20 minutes I could have it bone stock and no one would know. Hell I could have my step dad sell it to someone and they would think he used it for haulin **** around the yard. Thing is you never know, just have to check it over.