View Full Version : getting a new quad...

sparksmakefire
05-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Im new to the forum but im in the market for a new quad. im tired of having junk that has to be worked on all the time. so im just going to man up and buy a brand new one off the lot. Ive heard a lot of good and a lot of bad about the honda 450r. I want something that handles great. has the most power stock. im not into modding it... at least not yet. the only thing im changing is when i get it im getting dougles red labels with some paddles.

so basically what im asking is... would you buy the 450r again? is it the best ride for the money? I would say bang...but ive had too many bangs. or would you take something different? thanks for any help.

also i heard the new 4 strokes have to be rebuilt as much as a two stroke? if they have to be rebuilt every 80 hours.. thats once a month for me! i hope thats just a myth..

05-27-2008, 09:53 AM
i think for the dunes you will be happy with the 450r...i have not liked it on the trails at all...it has taken me nearly a grand in suspension and other little comfort mods to get it to where it feels and as good as my 400ex did...tuning the dang carb has been one headache after another, it never seems right

don't get me started on the starting of this thing...it has taken buying a carb with a hot start and a lot of fine tuning of the decompression setting to get it to start when hot

i seem to always be doing something to this one where as i could just hop on the 400ex and it was perfect...

don't get me wrong, i love the bike now, but it is not the kind of bike for me since i will not be racing at all...there is a very good possibility that i am going back to a 400ex...

sparksmakefire
05-27-2008, 10:00 AM
yeah it wil mostly be ran at st anthony every weekend. and around my yard and down our road during the week.

05-27-2008, 10:24 AM
For having both a YFZ and a 450r in my garage right now...stock for stock I'd go with the YFZ. You said you want something the handles good stock. Go with the yfz, I've been racing a stock 450r, and its so tippy, you gotta be sitting on the nerfbars to turn with out flipping.

sparksmakefire
05-27-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by nofearrider1
For having both a YFZ and a 450r in my garage right now...stock for stock I'd go with the YFZ. You said you want something the handles good stock. Go with the yfz, I've been racing a stock 450r, and its so tippy, you gotta be sitting on the nerfbars to turn with out flipping.

thats the kind of stuff i like to hear. someone who owns one and isnt afraid to admit their mistakes and let someone know its not that great instead of trying to cover their mistakes. i really appreciate your answer. the dunes are no place you want to flip constantly... the POS blaster i had out there this weekend done good in the turning part... but the suspension...well there might as well have not been any lol i hit a witches hat and bout flew over the handle bars. not to mention it was gutless and then the piston exploded which has me furious and going to part it out as a down payment

sparksmakefire
05-27-2008, 06:00 PM
ok i just got home from the dealership and looks like im getting a white 07 450er :D:D:D:D 4.99% interest for 60 months. ive got to fax some papers to my mom to fill out then i can go pick it up :D:blah:

05-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Sounds good man I am definately waiting for the 09s to come out before I go and buy a new 450 though.

sparksmakefire
05-27-2008, 07:00 PM
i thought about waiting on the 09 but... i want it now... and with the 09 coming out soon i will be able to pick the 07 up even cheaper. its brand new sitting on the showroom floor sexy as hell!!! matches my truck, and my car. im sure i can pick it up for under 6k :D

05-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Yea in that case its good I have a modded out 04 so I can hold off until winter.