PDA

View Full Version : need help to set up for sand

txredxj
05-27-2008, 09:26 AM
so i went to little sahara and my 400ex beat the crap out of me. it rides so ruff that it broke the front platic mounts off. i rode my friends yfz450 and his rides like a cadillac compared to mine. so what i am asking is should i keep my ex and mod it or just get a new quad.

red_rider_069
05-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by txredxj
so i went to little sahara and my 400ex beat the crap out of me. it rides so ruff that it broke the front platic mounts off. i rode my friends yfz450 and his rides like a cadillac compared to mine. so what i am asking is should i keep my ex and mod it or just get a new quad. lol mine runs jsut fine.. what you mean it beat the crap out of you? like not enough power?

mcwilly
05-27-2008, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by red_rider_069
lol mine runs jsut fine.. what you mean it beat the crap out of you? like not enough power?

I think he's saying the 'stiffness/ride' of the suspension beat the crap out of him. I've never ridden the sand before (got my first trip next weekend) but shouldnt riding in the sand actually be smoother than riding on trails and/or tracks?

sparksmakefire
05-27-2008, 10:52 AM
in the sand there are lots of ruts and witches hats and yes they will beat the hell out of you in our dunes there are some rocks too. but the things that beat me was the witches hats and the ruts and whoops from the rails. but trust me you wont want to leave and will be dreaming about going back. :D

txredxj
05-27-2008, 12:18 PM
yes it beat the crap out of me as a rider. i also got smoked by about everyone and their grand mother but that was to be expected. i just dont like that when i go across the dunes i get pounded and beat up.

sparksmakefire
05-27-2008, 12:33 PM
i set my suspension as soft as it would go. let some air out of your rear tires that will help some too. you might have to stand up a lot too... maybe your shocks are sticking? our dunes are really smooth except the ruts and whoops and the occasional witches hats. be careful out there. we had 3 major accidents this weekend and a few smaller ones... also dont try to race around out there... just cruise at your own pace that will make it more fun for you than always balls to the wall

mitchamus
05-27-2008, 01:08 PM
Yeah soften up you suspension. get new front shocks.
Steering stabilizer helps alot. it may even be a must.-imo. are you running sand tires or nobbies? also what pressure are running in your tires.

txredxj
05-27-2008, 02:24 PM
i have paddles in back with like 5psi and stock front with i think 7 psi. i didnt think the stock front shocks were adjustable.

05-27-2008, 02:39 PM
sand can be deceiving. Ride an area slow before you want to haul a** or ride fast. Dips, bumps, ruts, things you dont want to hit arent so easy to see in the sand. Everything almost blends in. I learned that the hard way flying over whoops and in the middle there was what appeared to be a whoop but it was a high bank a dirtbiker made dug out and pretty big so the front dipped and I front flipped lol

txredxj
05-27-2008, 03:11 PM
well my problem is just going slow beats me up. i did notice that if i sit on the back and gun it over the nasty stuff it seems to be smoother but i dont want to blow my back shock. i weigh bout 250 and im 6'2'' so i am a bit over the limit. it seems to be awsome on the jumps and very nice in the trails but just dune cruising i get left behind because i have to go around on the smoother stuff. i did notice that raptors were very popular but i have never liked them.

red_rider_069
05-27-2008, 05:35 PM
i've never had problems riding.. i weigh about 185.. runs smooth s can be for me. but there are no ruts or rocks whree i ride.. i would try letting more air outa you front tires.. and put shock settings on soft.. that prolly the problem.. i use the lil gauge that ame in the "tool kit" and i set all tires to about 3.5.. in front usually closer to 4.. but im pretty sure there not psi.?! idk try that

red_rider_069
05-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by txredxj
well my problem is just going slow beats me up. i did notice that if i sit on the back and gun it over the nasty stuff it seems to be smoother but i dont want to blow my back shock. i weigh bout 250 and im 6'2'' so i am a bit over the limit. it seems to be awsome on the jumps and very nice in the trails but just dune cruising i get left behind because i have to go around on the smoother stuff. i did notice that raptors were very popular but i have never liked them. i think that you weighing 250 is prolly the problem.. im 180 as i mentioned before and my ride bottums out on jumps.. you should try getting some 450r shocks rear/front.. they are really tiff and for about your weight it should be a smoother ride than it i for the lighter riders.. btw i am runing the hardest setting on my shocks in the front.. and they still bottum out..
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk220/red_rider_069/pit1.jpg rough lanfding in the pic for me.. i adjusted to hardest setting and it feels bettre now.. it bottumed out sometimes before the jump.. so like when it hit the slope
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk220/red_rider_069/vuelojaja.jpg