PDA

View Full Version : crack frame !

BEN #1
05-27-2008, 08:20 AM
hey;
just wanted to let everyone know our 2008 kfx 450r
frame crack at the bottom where the gusset tie's to the front end
right side , it was where it was welded .
our dealer took picture's an sent to the maf
they said all they could do is pay up to $200.00 to have a certified welder to weld it .
what else can you do ?
we did get it welded by a certified welder i believe it warp the frame .
i hope no one else has this problem !:(+

:rolleyes: kaw must have had problem's with the frame !
i was back at our dealership yesterday our kfx450r was one of the first on the floor , the kfx450 i look at yesterday at the dealership had the gusset all the way to the a arm brkt, our gusset don't go that far it a small piece of frame tubing between
if you buy or think about it buy the one with the longer gusset
that goes all the way to a arm brkt !

Ride1Rob
05-27-2008, 12:36 PM
It's suprising to me that it happened so fast, but not so suprising that it happened. I always felt that eventually the aluminum frame would have problems.

woodsZrider
05-27-2008, 09:01 PM
any pictures of the brake???

spincr4hire
05-28-2008, 06:45 AM
that sux, but all quad frames break. TRX450R is probably one of the worst, just harder to repair an aluminum frame.

I smacked a tree head on at the OMA over the weekend, didn't hurt the frame, but the bumper was toast. I think its better to have a weak bumper so it takes most of the impact. The KFX looks wierd without a front bumper.

450raider
05-28-2008, 08:36 AM
better to have a weak bumper, i hear that!! ive been without a front bumper for the past month (but do have one on the way), anyway we was just riding and came across this huge bog and i decided to take it right through the middle :D, i knew it would be messy but what i didnt know was that it was also soft quicksand mud (some of you know what i mean) and there was about a 8 in' drop off that caught the whole side of the kawi, and luckily this stranger on a sportsman came by and tossed me a strap that i hooked to the bumper and he ripped it right off! then i hooked it to the frame and got pulled out just fine, going on one year with the kfx i havent had a problem yet with the frame...

topdollr
05-31-2008, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
It's suprising to me that it happened so fast, but not so suprising that it happened. I always felt that eventually the aluminum frame would have problems.

this is the first I have read about the frame cracking. i have read post of others that rolled, flipped or crashed their quads and did something to the frame but not just a crack.

KFX's get alot a bashing from those who dont have all the info.

BEN #1
05-31-2008, 08:14 PM
i have not flip ,crash, rolled over !
i have road 4 wheeler's since i was 5y's old .
if this frame was right the very first time they started ?
my question is why did they change the way the gusset connect's to the front end where mine crack?
i personally think viberation caused the crack because of the location of the gussett !
maybe if people road on blacktop all the time they wouldn't have any problem's.lol

:rolleyes:

BLU82
06-01-2008, 12:12 PM
They changed it because thats where they crack:rolleyes: I've raced mx on mine for two seasons and the frame has'nt cracked. And btw the way I've seen plenty of cracked steel frames so why is everyone worked up about a cracked alum. one? Alum is'nt supposed to be stronger it's supposed to lighter.

06-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by BLU82
They changed it because thats where they crack:rolleyes: I've raced mx on mine for two seasons and the frame has'nt cracked. And btw the way I've seen plenty of cracked steel frames so why is everyone worked up about a cracked alum. one? Alum is'nt supposed to be stronger it's supposed to lighter.

Couldent have said it better my self. Ive seen more cracked hondas and yfz frames then ive seen anything els. Even though the kawi is still new compared to honda and yamaha. I cracked a yamaha frame in 10 spots. and ive seen hondas worse. I no 2 people who cracked a kfx frame. You and muff. Never seen another one to my knowledge.

08mxkfx
06-03-2008, 09:33 AM
and its not like the hole frame cracked off. It one little spot that is easy to repair and reinforce. Ive seen people cracked there subframes completely off yfz, 450r crack the back half the frame off, z400 completely crack off the front shock mounts. I would have to say the kfx has been holding up pretty good compared to other companys.

BLU82
06-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by walshyfz86
Couldent have said it better my self. Ive seen more cracked hondas and yfz frames then ive seen anything els. Even though the kawi is still new compared to honda and yamaha. I cracked a yamaha frame in 10 spots. and ive seen hondas worse. I no 2 people who cracked a kfx frame. You and muff. Never seen another one to my knowledge. And it was'nt like Muff's just cracked randomly, one of the rocks at jolly's hit it. And jolly's rocks are brutal!:eek2:

Sprks450r04
06-04-2008, 09:47 AM
amen to that i went thru a skid plate and 2 bumpers at jolly's already this season

feature05
06-04-2008, 11:40 PM
Guys, I bought mine in Mar. 07, I do endurance races on it (that should say enough right there), I love to jump and not little jumps, I'm talking big doubles and triples. Everytime I find a killer whoop section I will go over and over it back and forth to see how fast I can go. I have ran into other racers and vice versa. I run over rocks all the time. I've flipped it twice already end over end. All I can say is that I have put this quad through so much dodoo and I have never had a problem with the frame yet. The only thing that I've had to replace was the steering stem twice until I upgraded to a houser.

Also every weld is not identical to another quad. It just happens. But in opinion if this quad is still covered by Kawi they should replace or fix the crack.

FHKracingZ
06-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Ill take a mild steel frame that cracks twice as much over an aluminum frame that cracks twice as less....

woodsZrider
06-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ
Ill take a mild steel frame that cracks twice as much over an aluminum frame that cracks twice as less....

glad to hear that....:ermm:

steve_154
06-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by walshyfz86
Couldent have said it better my self. Ive seen more cracked hondas and yfz frames then ive seen anything els. Even though the kawi is still new compared to honda and yamaha. I cracked a yamaha frame in 10 spots. and ive seen hondas worse. I no 2 people who cracked a kfx frame. You and muff. Never seen another one to my knowledge.

Now u know 3 i cracked mine w/ about a season of gncc's on it, it cracked at the rear of the gusset on the welds on both sides. the 1st week i had it, i bumped a tree and tore the lower bumper wounts, i happened to have an old honda trx450r link at the house, cut it apart, and had the blocks welded in, drilled and tapped it and haven't had that problem since. I've heard that early on they had alot of problems w/ the front breaking, but that was before the release.